Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, July 21: Do you every use your hobby developed skills for practical life purposes, and if so what?

More like the other way 'round. I learned to use power tools in high school wood shop years before I got into hobby modeling. Playing with miniatures is just smaller tools and finer hand control.  I did have to get a pair of bead pliers this morning to fix a stuck zipper, though. 

• Like 9

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/20/2020 at 7:30 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Miniature Monday, July 20:  What is the strangest mini you have ever painted.

Of the painted ones: Mousefuratu (FAMILIAR PACK VI Rat vampire) or Oculus, the undead beholder (Magnificent Egos)

Of the unpainted: Aeon Trespass: Hekaton

Tuesday, July 21: Do you every use your hobby developed skills for practical life purposes, and if so what?

Kids' toy repairs. My daughter's friends started sending toys home with her to see the 'toy doctor'

Its handy to have ALL the glues. 

• Like 10

My skill set is pretty interchangeable between practical and hobby stuff. I do 99% of the home repairs, a large part of vehicle and machinery repairs, a bunch of toy repairs and even a bit of jewelry repair. For a lot of it I don't remember which came first the hobby part or the practical. It's just a matter of scale. The hobby side has definitely made my other work more accurate and better looking. For years the majority of my woodworking was done with a chainsaw and 2 pound hammer.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

More my knowledge of adhesives and their proper application gets used in fixing things than actual developed skills. I've fixed a towel bar that I accidentally sheared off a door in an apartment (and no one was the wiser), and a vacuum plastic face-piece three times (my dad takes the words "it's fixed" as an open challenge to go hog wild on anything... the third and final repair required two different types of epoxies, in several alternating layers).

A few garden sculptures have been fixed, but only one has really required some significant hobby skill to sculpt missing pieces/blend texture in.

• Like 9

Just now, TGP said:

Flipped question (inverse?converse?): Do...hobby developed skills...derive from practical life Skills?

I think it has gone the opposite direction for me more often. I learned to use a big drill before I ever picked up a pin vise... the first brush I ever picked up was way bigger than any W&N size 0 round. I learned color theory for canvas painting before I ever saw a pewter lead figure.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Years of jury-rigging conversions and ridiculous repurposing has allowed me to have some rather slap dash but efficient fixes for minor home repairs. I used a steak knife to cut a hole in the basement door so I could install a cat door, as an example...

• Like 10

Tuesday, July 21: Do you ever use your hobby developed skills for practical life purposes, and if so what?

well 

I filed some seams off a pair of  wife's new earrings that were sharp/scratchy.   I think I even said "Mold lines? I can do that all day!" 

Occasional toy repair. 

I have painted Christmas Tree ornaments for both my house and my sister. 

I once found myself repainting a door with a 1/2" brush (sometimes used for priming large minis), because the trim was sloppy.

Flipped question : Nope. 

my actual skills include roofing, building fences and framing houses.  Large manual labor things, before minis, I stayed away from the small careful work. 

I still cant hang a door so there is no gap, and the lock engages smoothly. believe me I have tried. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mostly a lot of 'can you fix this?' type stuff.

My job requires a lot of soldering of small electronic components, so the eye for detail and fine motor skills would probably count, I think.

I use a lot of my smaller tools for real life practical stuff, too.

Flipped question: maybe?

• Like 9

Yes. Things.

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Flipped question (inverse?converse?): Do...hobby developed skills...derive from practical life Skills?

Yes. Other things.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I guess some jewelry repair..

Oh, and I used my experience with Hirst Arts stuff to help me in rebuilding my front stoop.

• Like 10