Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, July 22: Have you ever ordered something, only to have the resulting product completely fail to meet expectations, what and why?

Found a great-looking shirt with rainbow paint dripping down it, placed an order for it. Waited and waited, doesn't show up on time. I contacted the company (didn't know they were based in China until afterwards, nothing on their website mentioned it) and requested a refund, and they absolutely refused. They instead offered to send me another at half price plus shipping, which I thought was ludicrous. It went back and forth for awhile, they even tried negotiating to sell it to me at a quarter the price plus shipping. After I refused that offer and insisted on a refund, they complete stopped responding to my emails. I was trying to figure out what I could do when I realized that I had paid them by PayPal, which I rarely used at that point, and put the dispute through them. Suddenly the company was more than happy to provide me a full refund for the missing package. Two days later the shirt shows up and........it was sized Large, but it was actually asian Large and was far too tight on me. So in the end I got a useless shirt, but at least I wasn't out of pocket for it.

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, July 22: Have you ever ordered something, only to have the resulting product completely fail to meet expectations, what and why?

Ordered "Dog treats" for the last MEOW meeting...they didn't taste like dog at all!

• Haha 13

Other than some kickstarters that either failed to deliver or ended up sending horrible quality, broken, or incomplete shipments I'm drawing a bit of a blank on this one. I'm sure there's been some stuff we returned, but never had any issues doing that. 

• Like 9

This is really not uncommon when buying clothes and stuff online unless I'm buying a replacement for something I've already had or seen in a store.  usually bad sizing, though I've also frequently run into thin cheap fabric that tears if you look at it crosseyed.

• Like 9

A Shakeweight! Dang infomercials! (In all seriousness, I did once own one, but did not buy it. Sister's housemate gave it to me, I ended up leaving it at their place when I moved, and just yesterday learned that my sister threw it out. I was like "that's a piece of Americana! 30 years from now it's going to be worth something!")

This is probably horrible of me, but if it doesn't meet my satisfaction, I just gift it to someone. I learned a long time ago to never buy any type of tshirt made from Gildan cotton because it always shrinks on me, and won't fit again. So I do a lot of research before I buy anything online now.

Oh, wait a W&N Series 7 brush! I got unlucky enough to get one of poor quality, never bought another since. Synthetics and Raphael or DaVinci's for me now.

Technically this one didn't fail to meet my expectations, since it had been out for years and I had read many reviews, but I did buy a copy of the Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya DVD (HEAVILY discounted, of course). There are not many secrets being shared, but I knew that from all the reviews. I just wanted to see a talented painter work.

4 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Literally any fast food.

Hey, fast food from White Castle did EXACTLY what I expected it to... it quickly changed "White Castle Wednesday" into "Won't Stop Coming Out Wednesday"...

Edited by ManvsMini
grammar
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's happened but nothing so bad as to make it memorable.  Or at least, not valuable enough to make it memorable. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nope, been lucky in that respect. At least so far.

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ordered "Dog treats" for the last MEOW meeting...they didn't taste like dog at all!

:wow:

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

One "Mexican" place in Iowa that mixed ketchup and cayenne together and called it "salsa" comes to mind. 

o_O

Jeez, they could have at least put "effort" in and chopped up some tomato and, I dunno, bell peppers or something to at least make it sort of look like salsa too, instead of spiced ketchup....

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

One "Mexican" place in Iowa that mixed ketchup and cayenne together and called it "salsa" comes to mind. 

So this brings to mind two stories, one short, the other longer.

Short one: reminds me of a place across from my university campus that served wings with different sauces, except once you got to the "hot" portion of their spectrum, they were simply just adding more and more hot sauce into the mix to kick up the heat (until it was essentially just pure hot sauce). Not as bad as your experience, but still... restaurants can have a lack of imagination.

Longer one (was triggered by the ketchup, but kind of applies to today's question): so I when I was in high school, my dad's job moved us to Germany. We moved in there in the summer, we didn't speak much German, but most people my dad worked with spoke English. His birthday is in the summer, and apparently it's custom when you have a birthday at work that, instead of co-workers throwing you a party, you throw yourself a party and supply all the food for everyone else (maybe they were just yanking his leg, I have no clue if that's actually true).

So my dad buys all of the food and supplies from a place near his work on his own and stored them in the fridge at work for the next day. One of the things on his list was ketchup. He bought a tube of it (kind of like a tube you'd get a prescription ointment in) that said "Tomaten" which means tomatoes. No one touches the ketchup at the party. He brings all the leftovers home, and says they must not like ketchup. My mom takes it, squeezes some out and tries it. It's totally not ketchup; it's pure tomato paste, thick and unsweetened. No wonder they didn't touch it, but must have been too polite to tell him otherwise. Poor dad, twenty years later and I still haven't let him forget that.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

it was sized Large, but it was actually asian Large and was far too tight on me.

Considering what I've received the few times I've ordered clothing from Asian suppliers, I'm beginning to believe that the average Asian is only slightly taller than a halfling...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, but nothing that stands out as particularly interesting.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

So this brings to mind two stories, one short, the other longer.

Short one: reminds me of a place across from my university campus that served wings with different sauces, except once you got to the "hot" portion of their spectrum, they were simply just adding more and more hot sauce into the mix to kick up the heat (until it was essentially just pure hot sauce). Not as bad as your experience, but still... restaurants can have a lack of imagination.

Longer one (was triggered by the ketchup, but kind of applies to today's question): so I when I was in high school, my dad's job moved us to Germany. We moved in there in the summer, we didn't speak much German, but most people my dad worked with spoke English. His birthday is in the summer, and apparently it's custom when you have a birthday at work that, instead of co-workers throwing you a party, you throw yourself a party and supply all the food for everyone else (maybe they were just yanking his leg, I have no clue if that's actually true).

So my dad buys all of the food and supplies from a place near his work on his own and stored them in the fridge at work for the next day. One of the things on his list was ketchup. He bought a tube of it (kind of like a tube you'd get a prescription ointment in) that said "Tomaten" which means tomatoes. No one touches the ketchup at the party. He brings all the leftovers home, and says they must not like ketchup. My mom takes it, squeezes some out and tries it. It's totally not ketchup; it's pure tomato paste, thick and unsweetened. No wonder they didn't touch it, but must have been too polite to tell him otherwise. Poor dad, twenty years later and I still haven't let him forget that.

It's customary to treat ( Dutch here, same customs) your coworkers on a piece of pie, cake or pastries when it's your birthday.

Providing a whole dinner is not...

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, July 23: What is the silliest thing you've seen your kids/pets/sig. other/siblings/et. al. doing? 

Looking for fun stories/pictures here.

Today's question was inspired by @redambrosia's adorable baby trying to sit on a ball.

My first Boxer Pasja once got into a fight with two dachshunds, he solved the situation by sitting down on both of them.

It was a hilarious sight to see two dachshund heads coming from under my Boxer's behind, barking to get away.

• Haha 12