Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, July 23: What is the silliest thing you've seen your kids/pets/sig. other/siblings/et. al. doing? 

Looking for fun stories/pictures here.

Today's question was inspired by @redambrosia's adorable baby trying to sit on a ball.

Hubby is more relaxed, so I'll sub myself in. 

Probably the silliest thing I've done would be to do a bit of jumpstyle all the way through a long crosswalk, in the middle of downtown, late at night.... In front of a police van (y'know, the ones they use for taking drunks to the drunk tank on weekend evenings)...  And I did it on the crosswalk's line the wholllle way. 

He'd probably have something different to say, that's even sillier, and I've forgotten. 

If we talk pets, my crown tail betta Tyr looooooooved watching MythBusters, to the point he would occasionally forget to breathe, and would make a mad dash from the middle of his tank up to the top during scenes with a decent amount of fire balls and/or explosions... 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, July 23: What is the silliest thing you've seen your kids/pets/sig. other/siblings/et. al. doing? 

Today's question was inspired by @redambrosia's adorable baby trying to sit on a ball.

This happened last night: 

203752471_IMG_20200722_2328488542.thumb.jpg.03521d5c47fa7921e6423aa41b0f5974.jpg

The silly floofs don't like each other and normally would not be caught this close or this relaxed. But this is the new tall thing in the living room so they both have to be there. 

*Yes, that is a sideways ottoman. The baby hates the baby gate and gets angry at it. With the ottoman she just gets sad she can't follow whoever is on the other side. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I saw a cat (belonged to my parents) try to explore a plastic bag. Bag was opaque. It was one of those T-shirt shopping bags. 

Poor critter panicked when the static cling kicked in and suddenly there was no way out!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

When the boys were little, 7 (Myles) and 3 (Gus), Myles was really into Harry Potter.  One day while cooking supper, I heard Gus start screaming for help and a weird sucking sound.  I went around the corner to see what was up to find an odd tableau.  Gus was on his back on the ground screaming and giggling at the same time.  Myles was above him wearing his HP bathrobe with the hood pulled over his head and face.  He was holding Gus down making a sucking sound. He was pretending to be a dementor.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Myles, stop trying to suck out your brother's soul."

Still the weirdest thing I have had to say to my kids.

• Haha 18

On 7/22/2020 at 6:34 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, July 22: Have you ever ordered something, only to have the resulting product completely fail to meet expectations, what and why?

Together these questions reminded me of a story....

Thursday, July 23: What is the silliest thing you've seen your [ coworker do]??

A coworker of mine told me he had ordered a Keffiyeh from Amazon. And I said, “...a whut?” He explained that it was the cloth thing arabs often wear on the head. (I hadn’t known the word.) So, I asked, “which tribe or country did you pick?“ (I did know that Kuwaitis and Saudis and Jordanians all had specific designs.) I explained this, and he was like, “...I don’t know it is kind of a black-white checked design...” And then he said, “wait, I’ll go get it.”

This took awhile. Because the parking lot in question was one we called ‘the South Forty’. To get to it involved two heavy fire doors, one that was badge operated, a deep stairwell, and a gate with armed guards. (Giant defense contractor plants are just laid out that way.) And that was just a one way trip, reverse all that getting back in. I had time to do some Google fu. 

Read on, don’t open until the end:

Flickr_-_Government_Press_Office_(GPO)_-

I found a photograph. ^ I left it in a minimized browser window. Coworker got back and showed me the Keffiyeh, still in the package. It was a black and white design, with black cords, a black stripe at the edge. It was an exact match for the picture.  (Now is a good time to open it...) I popped the picture up on my screen and...

I said,

Welcome to the PLO !”

So there we were, in a basement level cubical farm, at a defense contractor, slogging through USAF jet airplane parts, with the CAD systems, and we were looking at Yasser Arafat’s trademark head wrap... :wow: ...When my coworker stopped laughing at himself he said, “what a rube...!!”

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

You want me to choose? :lol:

Heres one: when I sit with my legs crossed, she likes to put stuff between my legs. It’s... weird. 

She doesn’t like to wear her shoes; she likes to carry them.

BEBE7287-8C0F-4D4B-9FA2-833DA86C1207.thumb.jpeg.d6733d47c7e1de284bbb78496cc3724e.jpeg

She bends over backwards and howls like a little wolf.

6C7D18DF-84C1-4B36-BDB7-09F628A5B337.thumb.jpeg.008fef22a60d76895bef6b8f67c8dfb1.jpeg

she likes to steal my phone and take pictures.

BD1625D0-B4E7-45BD-8041-7F0408E7365C.thumb.jpeg.2cf4be346248466b691eed4e3f613db3.jpeg

She has a toy bin and she likes to put herself in it.

5F7420A1-955A-4422-9238-AB0065E9A474.thumb.jpeg.c98dbddf2c4a7ff305d3c90cbfb554de.jpeg

And she’s figured out how to get the lid off our storage ottoman and she likes to sit in that too.

F4E2074E-2E9F-4DDE-B430-771F2F8E247A.thumb.jpeg.3fa55eb39f7d8d8f442da30b4fec4168.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Way back when, we had this monster of a cat named Percy. He was forever getting into stuff. One afternoon my wife and I are sitting on the couch watching a little TV when Percy walks into the room with this tiny little decorative basket that my wife kept hair ties in stuck on him. Somehow he had managed to get the entire front half of his body through the basket's handle and then could not get it off. When he finally gave up and came to find us he had the basket itself twisted around so it was on top of his back and the handle under his belly like some sort of wicker, cat sized howdah. No amount of pulling, twisting or shaking would dislodge that basket (I have no idea how he got it that far onto himself) and in the end I had to cut it off of him. I don't think I've ever seen a cat look genuinely embarrassed before that moment. 

Another pet story... Close to 30 years ago I inherited an older mutt named Kodi. Kodi was a rottweiler/shar pei mix (imagine a massively over sized rottweiler that was brown and white instead of black and brown and covered in wrinkles) that loved walks but hated leashes. That wasn't usually a problem as he was an incredibly well behaved dog so we'd just go for walks sans leash most evenings. One day I was walking with him down the street and there is this guy parked ahead of us with the back door of his car open yelling "come on" at his kid to get in. Kodi thought that was an invitation and jumped into the backseat a split second before the kid did. Unfortunately the only thing Kodi liked more than walks was car rides. No amount of pulling on him or coaxing him was getting him out of that car. So in the end the guy's kid got in the front seat, I jumped in the back with the dog and he drove us around the block a couple of times with Kodi hanging his head out the window. It worked and when we stopped Kodi let me lead him out of the vehicle and back onto our walk. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My lovely wife trying to catch our kitten as she was not able to make it to the litterbox. She's yelling, trying to catch a freaked out kitteh and not step in the little kitten pellets that are being dropped as  she tries to catch the cat! I was NO help as I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe...

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Another cat in a plastic bag story.

*Disclaimer: this cat and I do not like each other, from day one. I tried to be nice, she bit me, and that was the beginning of the hate/hate relationship, despite now caring for her for 12 years.

In a bout of curiosity, the cat was up on the dining room table where an empty plastic bag was. I saw her start to put her head through one of the handholds (sized perfectly for her head, but not much else), and knew it wasn't going to end well for her. In an attempt to be compassionate, I calmly walked over and attempted to gently lift the handle off her head. Well, the bag rustled, freaked her out, and she took off, with the bag still wrapped around her neck. She ran off that table with the bag racing behind her like a parachute, rustling even more, causing her to run more frantic. And somehow, which still baffles me, she managed in mid-run to jump the rest of her body through the same hole her head was in to escape the bag. If I hadn't been too busy laughing, I'd probably have better witnessed how she got out of it.

All I'm saying is I've never once had this problem with any of my canine companions. Just saying.

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's customary to treat ( Dutch here, same customs) your coworkers on a piece of pie, cake or pastries when it's your birthday.

Providing a whole dinner is not...

It wasn't a whole dinner, just a small luncheon, nothing ridiculous. I don't think he worked with a large group of people. But thinking that just because it says "tomatoes" on it means it's ketchup is a typical conclusion for my father.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My last dog Prince was a very farty dog, but he never managed to figure what they were. Often they'd startle him and he'd run around the house being pursued by his own noisy rear-end, or he'd do the classic 'dog chasing his tail' but in this case he was trying to catch his farts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

37 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Another cat in a plastic bag story.

*Disclaimer: this cat and I do not like each other, from day one. I tried to be nice, she bit me, and that was the beginning of the hate/hate relationship, despite now caring for her for 12 years.

In a bout of curiosity, the cat was up on the dining room table where an empty plastic bag was. I saw her start to put her head through one of the handholds (sized perfectly for her head, but not much else), and knew it wasn't going to end well for her. In an attempt to be compassionate, I calmly walked over and attempted to gently lift the handle off her head. Well, the bag rustled, freaked her out, and she took off, with the bag still wrapped around her neck. She ran off that table with the bag racing behind her like a parachute, rustling even more, causing her to run more frantic. And somehow, which still baffles me, she managed in mid-run to jump the rest of her body through the same hole her head was in to escape the bag. If I hadn't been too busy laughing, I'd probably have better witnessed how she got out of it.

All I'm saying is I've never once had this problem with any of my canine companions. Just saying.

Interesting. Rather than get caught in plastic bags, my cat just eats them.

Honestly, he'll eat anything you put in front of him. He's.... Special.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We had a corgi named Arnold and a German Shepherd/Blue Heeler cross named Ziggy  on the farm, and the corgi liked to start a fight. This wasn't normally a problem since the big dog usually just knocked him upside down and held him there. One day, however, the corgi decided to start a fight right by the slough, and the other dog had enough. Ziggy knocked him over as normal, but this time he put his paws on Arnold's chest and and started jumping up and down, squishing Arnold deeper into the mud each time. Eventually he stopped, but the corgi was a giant mudball after that.

• Haha 11

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oh, I just remembered the best one. When we were little, my younger brother decided to use a popcorn tin as a seat, however he did not put the lid on first and fell in. I started laughing as he was flailing his arms and legs, then discovered he was stuck and started crying. My mother heard the commotion and came out to see what happened. Took one look at my brother and me, trying not to laugh too hard, turned around and got the camera. She took pictures before knocking him over so he could crawl out while I lost it. He thinks he destroyed all copies of those pictures, but I know where Mom has a couple hidden :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Our first cat was laying on the stairs one afternoon at approximately head height, so I walked up to the side of the stairs and reached between the the bars on the banister and was petting her. This went on for a minute or so until she decided she'd had enough, so she stood up to walk away. I didn't take the hint quickly enough and kept petting her, so she smacked  me across the face, turned around and went the rest of the way up the stairs.

Me::wow:

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

She bends over backwards and howls like a little wolf.

I'm glad to see you're raising her right.::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, there was the time in my youth when my budgie decided he was going to perch on the rim of the glass of milk I was holding.  He couldn't get a grip on the glass and ended up doing a faceplant into the milk.

Fortunately my dad had the presence of mind to fish him out quickly, or he might have drowned.   As it was, the bird ended up soggy but otherwise none the worse for wear.  I didn't drink the milk.

• Like 7