Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

37 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

We were in boot camp at the same time and in the same place; I got there August 20th.

There is a good chance that if you showed up to RIP (Recruit In Processing) during the evening when you first arrived, I could have been standing Quarter Deck Watch as that is where I was for work week.  Least amount of sleep over an 8 day period I have ever gotten.  I was in company C137.

• Like 10

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 2: What is the strangest thing you’ve ever seen?

I will not mention the things seen working with violent criminals in 26 years, but one thing I will never forget is watching a college student who wanted to "help" a large snapping turtle across a road. The turtle dif not want or need help and was getting annoyed, I truly wish I could have stayed and watched.

• Like 13

On 7/1/2020 at 3:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

College... Got the best degree ever: A BS in BS

seriously I have a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences.

I also have a minor in Russian Language.

Then grad school, escaped from where that was headed...

Then got a tech school diploma in IT, tried to go back for Master degrees twice and just couldn't take it. I got great grades, but I spent a lot of time arguing with the teachers about 'the real world'. I knew I didn't need a higher degree then...

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

There was the flock of pigeons in Philly that mugged a lady for her bag of popcorn...

There was also the two-headed kitten (still-born) I had the unique opportunity to dissect in Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates. I'm not sure which was stranger, the kitten or the Bio Sci majors that wouldn't touch it.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

On a high school class trip to Ireland, witnessing an adult woman, whom I am fairly certain was a prostitute, try to pick up my friend with the line "nice shorts you got there" as we walked back to the hostel at night. Strangest thing because:

1. that's the best line she could think of?
  2. his upbringing was a bit sheltered, he was very innocent, and had no clue what was going on as I dragged him away as he stopped to thank her (though in retrospect the story might be better if I had let him engage her in conversation).
  • Like 14

I was stalked by the Grim.

It was Spring Break while I was in University. One idiot got the "smart" idea to go camping. In April. The rest of us had nothing to do so we went with, expecting So Cal since Los Angeles was our first stop to pick up my supplies from my parent's place (I was the only one with any camping or wilderness experience and the only one who owned supplies). But no, we didn't learn until we were on the road that every one of his planned stops were in Nor Cal. So my defense was it was a kidnap-camping trip. One of our expected stops was Lassen because he refused to listen to me when I warned them all it would be buried under 8 feet of snow. So we got there and the mountain was buried under 8 feet of snow. Duh <_< Instead of camping on the mountain, which was closed due to 8 feet of snow, we drove around a bit and did some exploring.

Night fell and that was when we learned the idiot planning this had no backup plan.

First we found the abandoned snowmobile, seat all tore up by what looked like claws. No tracks to or from and no snow on the snowmobile itself :blink: If that's not a sign I don't know what is.

Then we had to stop in the middle of the road for a map check. This big black dog stalked out behind us. No collar, no rope, no driveways leading off of the road to indicate nearby properties, and no other cars for hours. Just, this random big black dog the size of a mastiff. It growled and barked at us and then lunged at the car. It chased us for a few hundred yards until we hit the next turn and then we never saw it again. 'Stalked by the Grim' is the sanest explanation for that night.

We got exhausted and pulled over for the night. I know, stupid thing to do, I knew then it was a stupid thing to do but it was me versus a 6'5" 300 pound idiot and I couldn't drive. We wrapped ourselves up in every blanket and sleeping bag and article of clothing we had. I didn't sleep because it was elfing freezing and I knew better than to sleep while that cold. By 230am ice had coated the insides of all the windows and the windshield and the idiot driver finally paid elfing attention to me when I said "get us off this mountain NOW or we die here to your stupidity you stupid man".

There was one problem. He couldn't scrape the ice off of the inside of the windshield and he couldn't see through it.

The only reason we survived is my eyesight is broccoli so I'm perfectly capable of seeing through any amount of ice. I had to call out all of the curves of the road as they approached (direction and angle of turn, distance from us to the turn, and how to keep his stupid car in the middle of the road) while we inched off the mountain.

I never went camping with his dumb arse again.

• Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

There is a good chance that if you showed up to RIP (Recruit In Processing) during the evening when you first arrived, I could have been standing Quarter Deck Watch as that is where I was for work week.  Least amount of sleep over an 8 day period I have ever gotten.  I was in company C137.

Ah, if we're taking into account lack of sleep.

Back in university, part of some student competition projects where we built race cars against other universities. Competition was in Cadillac, near Detroit. Everyone lacked sleep. I was awake for nearly 62 hours. I've come to acknowledge that hallucinations are a thing. You see stuff that part of you knows it's not real, but you see it anyway.

Driving at night, while your brain is still exhausted like that is... partly interesting, partly terrifying. Either I was seeing a classmate dancing in the middle of the highway as I drove, or the trees were "getting up", or I kept imagining lights along the road as a pickup about to ram me.

• Like 12

the professional quality architectural renderings as grafitti on a rural French train station. 

it was a tiny town with a famous Le Courbousie  Church and architectural tourists had been coming to it for at least 50 years. 

then we would all get stuck in the town waiting 6 hours for the next train. 

the grafitti also the normal phone numbers &/or email addresses but they were in search of a different kind of job. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

I spent the summer working for Wendy’s and then I went to college.  And then life happened and I ended up dropping out.

I’d like to get my degree someday.

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The strangest thing I could think of right now: A picture of an aspic.  I think it had shrimp and lime gelatin.  It surprises me that anyone would eat such a thing.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, I've actually seen my own skull... 

No, seriously - I stabbed myself in the back of the head once, lol.

I was cleaning my nails with a small but sharp knife when a "friend" threw a basketball at me, and I put up my arm to block it. I ended up with a laceration on the back of my head that went all the way to the bone and required ten stitches for an inch-long cut.

Okay, serious answer...

One of the strangest things I've seen was when I was driving over a local bridge and ball lightning formed right over the hood of the car... I thought it was going to discharge and kill me, but it just dissipated instead.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Way back when I was nearly 16, while I was being operated on for a double compound fracture on my arm, I "saw" what appeared to be black oil from the X-Files covering the incisions the docs made to screw the stainless plates to my radius and ulna.  There were also Kirby Dots kind of bubbling from the site. Best guess is it was a part of my brain censoring the whole mess from me.  Anesthesia is a hell of a drug.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Many many years ago, under the care of a hospital nurse I was administered a "sedative" that caused me to see sound. Every time there was a noise or a voice I could see....effects.... that made perfect sense to me at the time. 

I was pretty elfed up from that and it took HOURS to wear off. 

• Like 12

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's funny this should be asked today because I was just thinking about it not long ago.

Mrs. Strawhat likes to camp, I'm less enthused about it.  One night we're sitting next to the fire as it dies, looking up at the night sky trying to identify constellations, watching for shooting stars, etc.  And that's when I noticed the white light blinking it's way across the sky. 

My first guess was that it was a commercial plane of some sort.  It just advanced across the sky and blinked at regular intervals.  I started wondering if maybe it wasn't a satellite of some sort since it seemed to be making pretty good time, but I don't know if satellites have blinking lights.  I was pondering that point when I noticed the problem with the blinking pattern.  It was still at a regular interval, but every fourth or fifth blink it leapt ahead two positions.

AND THEN BACK TO WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WHEN IT "LEAPT"!!

I'm no aeronautics expert, or even enthusiast, and sometimes I wonder if I didn't watch too many shows about UFOs, but I certainly don't know of anything in the sky that does that.

The camera was in the tent, I could have gotten it, but I was too busy thinking I was seeing things and assuming that no matter what it would just be lousy shakey-cam footage that even people who watched it would just kind of smile and nod then take a step away from you.  I pointed it out to Mrs. Strawhat and we timed out the blinks and leaps together...so it's not like I was "losing my place" against the stars and relative to the other features in our sight.

But yeah, weirdest damn thing I ever saw.  And it was just a blinking light.

• Like 10

On 7/1/2020 at 3:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

I had a summer off. Then college, part time job, full time summer job, more college, one batch of summer-time compressed classes, stumbled out with a bachelors degree.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:22 AM, TaleSpinner said:

On TV: it was probably the Spanish language knock-off of a Japanese game show…..with go-go dancers <_< because(?) Spanish** TV.

In a dream: that would have to be the time the Smurfs were trying to get their enormous walled city ready to be besieged by the invading Troll Army…. :blink:  ….and somehow, some blighter had decided I was only 4 apples tall, and that I would get a front row seat. Or maybe they were giant Smurfs[?]

IRL: (or else it was a very high quality hallucination) I drove home one afternoon, around twilight, and I discover my whole street and several houses are covered in tiny black grackles. Thousands of birds. Like the Hitchcock film. Grackles everywhere on everything.

Edited by TGP
**more precisely: Spanish language TV as broadcast in the US anywhere Tex-Mex cuisine is native. I have never seen any television as broadcast in Spain.
  • Like 10