Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

On 7/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

Jr. College, semester off to work full time at the FLC/GS, then College.

I should have gone backpacking.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 2: What is the strangest thing you’ve ever seen?

I don't know about *strange* but the coolest was a thunderstorm that ended in the middle of the street. My side of the block, no rain. The block on the other side of the street, downpour. Eventually it did move over to my side, but the razor sharp dividing line was amazing.

I don't remember if it was the same storm, but there was also the ball lightning that rolled down the same street.

• Like 10

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, TaleSpinner said:

It's got to be the thing that I saw sitting on top of one of the dumpsters at the back of my old apartment building. I only noticed It because it was the only thing in the immediate vicinity that wasn't being blown about by the wind.It looked for all the world like a massive piece of scrunched up tarpaulin until it unfurled until it was about 10 feet long, then lifted to about up maybe 3 feet above the dumpster. It slowly moved off, staying at the same height and I watched it until it disappeared around the corner of my building. 

It was so odd, especially since it was moving AGAINST the direction of the wind. It's entire body(?) moved like that undulating fin that's on the side of a squid. I never saw it again and I'm totally okay with that. I'm just glad it didn't think that I was edible.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Edited by Kuroneko
Argh! Double post and I can't get rid of the double question :(
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for July 3, sorry US based today, Are you planning on finding someplace doing fireworks this year?

Absolutely. Planning on leeching off of other people's foolishness in buying severely overpriced fireworks, enjoying some family's company, and eating way more food than I should.

Love this holiday.

• Like 10

On 7/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Excluding adult stuff not appropriate to this forum. That would be a toss up of seeing a drunk guy crash one of those ultralight planes into some power lines and then nosedive into the road right behind my dad's truck. Other than some broken bones he was ok. Or it could be the time I found the frozen corpse of a male deer killed by coyotes or wild dogs. It's eyes were wide open, head erect, and mouth frozen in a scream. It was right in the middle of a wetland I had hiked out to for an assessment of the hydrologic indicators. So I had to work around it for an hour or so. Strange pose and very creepy.

18 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for July 3, sorry US based today, Are you planning on finding someplace doing fireworks this year?

Don't need to. My neighborhood has been a fireworks show every night for about a week and a half now. Anytime between dusk and about 3 AM I can just step outside and hear/see fireworks right now.

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Corsair said:

No, not a big fireworks kind of person. We've also deemed it too risky to be going out given COVID is still on the rise here.

15+ years ago my family would celebrate with sparklers (my sister would give her annual performance dubbed "Sparkler Ballet") while we made a hand-cranked bucket of ice cream, but the family doesn't gather much anymore so those traditions have fallen into history.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I'll answer basing it off of what we did 2 days ago, for Canada Day.  Which was nothing with fireworks.  We were in a heatwave (it broke last night) and there was a province wide ban due to risk of fire, so even the city didn't have any.  I did hear a few pops after dark....but at least none were followed by firetruck sirens.......

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Nope.  I used to be into fireworks, but I haven't done any of them for ages, partially because the nearest one is so far away, and partially because I don't like being packed into a park like sardines to be able to actually see them. 

People are still setting off fireworks even though Canada day was two days ago AND you need permits to do such out here, but they set them off.  Fire trucks were busy last night though - a lot of sirens going up the road, and they were mostly fire trucks, very few ambulances or police last night, instead of a full on mix... 

• Like 9

Nope, not a big fan of them. We can't do them in our community and I like it that way. Too much PTSD/anxiety issues to really enjoy them.

• Like 9

after a near accident two decades ago...I never do fireworks anymore.

35 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 3: What job/chore do you dread having to do?

I stay clear from Electrical/Gas/Water stuff.

• Like 11

No.  I hate crowds and any place we could go would be a traffic nightmare. Not that there are any shows this year.  Plenty of people setting them off in the street every night, if I wanted to we could find some kids around here that have some. 

34 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 3: What job/chore do you dread having to do?

Just about all the housework. 

101386317_2383209531782035_4149702860575080448_n.jpg.a0e669de816e21916028583683cea397.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 7