Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, July 30: Do you always paint to the best of your abilities, if not, in what circumstances do you dial it back?

No. My goal is always to have my work be fit for the purpose. If I need 40 minis who are all going to survive for less than half a game, I'll simplify. If a mini needs to travel a lot to games I'll limit complex shading to make it easier to touch up. If I start a mini and realize it just isn't that good I'll cut my losses. 

• Like 8

30th:

To be honest, not anymore. I have one rule when it comes to minis for gaming, that they have at least primer & are shaded to show some detail. I hate seeing bare metal minis on the table.

Since, I'm the one that provided miniatures for my games, I have to do everything required. I'm the "World's Slowest Painter" when I do pick up a brush & there would be no way I could get everything painted in time for my weekly (on hold right now) games. As long as I put the above onto the minis, I'm happy.

I did put up a giant blob of flesh miniature (think giant gibbering mouther, I could have used Reaper's not-GM but for the first adventure I wanted everything to be 3d printed (to see if I could do it). I painted the blob of flesh with Tamiya flat flesh from the spray can (which actually isn't that bad, come to think of it) & then I washed the mini with The Army Painter flesh wash & then sprayed a matte coat on it. It turned out decent. It won't win any awards but it was a memorable encounter for the night.

Reminds me, I need to spray a batch up tomorrow, so at least stay ahead for when we do return to gaming here.

• Like 10

Friday, July 31: Do you plan on attending virtual ReaperCon 2020?

This is my last question, I hope I wasn't too disappointing. Tomorrow, @Corsair will be kicking off August.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

This is my last question, I hope I wasn't too disappointing. Tomorrow, @Corsair will be kicking off August.

I for one think you did a SPLENDID job, TaleSpinner...VERY WELL DONE!

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

For a variety of reasons, no.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you for the questions, I had fun with them!

No, I see no reason.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'll definitely try to, I'll have to see what my work schedule is.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Undecided. I've been messing around with gencon and some other stuff this weekend, so far they're going well enough, so I'll probably try others. Not the same as a real con, but probably as close as I can get at the moment. 

• Like 6

Yes. That is the plan. 

• Like 7

I will be attending Virtual ReaperCon.  I'm teaching 2 classes, both on modifying minis using GS.  The first covers sculpting organic structures like fur, hair, plants and such.  The second covers made items like straps, bags, buckles, cloth, weapons, and the like. I even got a new special camera to show people what I am doing (been wanting that for years).

I'm hoping to be a part of a panel discussion or two as well.

• Like 12

If the classes are going up for the public, maybe. Not saying that as an entitlement, rather I'm not spending any money on the hobby right now (so swag/VIP stuff is a hard no for me).

But it might be nice to watch some instruction to see some old friends' faces (or hands, I guess!).

• Like 7

Originally, it was a hard yes. But my overall participation level will depend on my employment status. Currently unemployed, but could potentially start a new career in the following weeks.

Though it's still over a month away, if I get a new job in the meantime, I'll have to move far away. And since I'll be at the very beginning of a new career, vacation days will be minimal. So as to not use up too many of those days too quickly, Labour Day weekend would be an ideal time to fully pack and move... and RCon is during Labour Day weekend. :unsure:

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Right now the plan is to attend at least some of Reapercon. I had planned on driving down to Texas for it so that weekend was already blocked out on my calendar and it's not like there are a lot of other out-of-the-house activities I'm participating in with other people right now. So I should have some time available.

But that's all contingent on what the requirements are for attending. I'm sure my laptop is up to streaming classes with no problem. But do I need a mic? A camera? Will I need to order supplies to take full advantage of the classes? And if so will I be able to get them in time? Also, I have no idea what things are going on outside of classes and if I'm interested in them. Still quite a few questions before I'm fully committed. But I'm patient, I'm sure they'll get answered eventually.

Thanks for the month of questions!

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 6

On 7/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, July 30: Do you always paint to the best of your abilities, if not, in what circumstances do you dial it back?

It depends on how interested in the figure I am. If I'm excited about it, I'm going to put more overall effort into it than something I don't care as much about. Also, animals and such tend to be dry-brushed a bit more rather than having more thorough and careful painting applications applied.

I wasn't planning on it, and have no idea what it would even entail.

• Like 7

I've considered it, but I'm probably going to go with nope.  I left that Discord because of various reasons (one of the bigger ones being it was just was waaaaaaay too busy), and I don't feel like being stuck in my chair in front of a computer a whole weekend.  One of the biggest appeals of an actual con is meeting up with people, doing things, and most importantly - actually moving around.  Trying to follow a conversation (or actually have a question be seen and answered) is almost impossible on Twitch, I don't want to know what it would be like with 4-7x the people, and even more actively chatting. 

• Like 7

Your questions were great, not disappointing at all. A good mix of hobby and 'normal' life queries :winkthumbs:

Regarding Reapercon Online, I was soooo excited about it and was ready to fully immerse myself in the chaos, attend classes and buy all the swag boxes. A double whammy of idiocy from co-workers(which means I'll be working all weekend) and a massive vet bill has unfortunately put paid to my plans ::(: It sounds like most of the classes will be on Zoom or something similar, so I won't be able to watch them afterwards either.

There's an outside chance that I might be off on the Monday, so I'm currently hoping the there will be some classes scheduled on that day. 

• Like 7