Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MusicalFeline

Owlbear (NOT Reaper's)

Recommended Posts

We are always our own harshest critic. I think you did a very good job on the eyes. And the whole effect looks sharp, well done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, you seem to have made some great progress since posting your first minis a month or so back.  On the topic of eyes, ultra-fine line markers are my secret weapon!  Some may consider it 'cheating', but I've yet to find an easier way to dot those pupils.

 

  pens.png.527bba9f44db47ee6d110156f0c84dbd.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

 

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

 

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

 

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Edited by Dan S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan S said:

 

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

 

Yeah that looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

 

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen bit), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

 

You can also use them for easily putting text onto scrolls and banners etc.

Edited by Dan S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dan S said:

 

Looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

 

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

Brilliant, I'll give that a shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him too, great job on those eyes!  I also love the lighter brown on the feathers at the edges of his forearms, great for visual interest!  And don't worry about being "careless" with the wash.  Unless I'm doing something special my favourite technique with a wash is "slobber it everywhere".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Neptune1999
      Matthias the Twisted was insanely fun to paint, he's definitely  one of my favorite undead models, and one of Bobby Jackson's more eerie characters. 
      Despite it being the bane to Castlevania fans everywhere, i took inspiration for the hunter from Simon off of the cover of the Castlevania 2 box art. What a game haha. Sorry for the pictures being a bit blurry, but C&C is surely appreciated. 


    • By Kangaroorex
      Hi everyone, 
       
      Does anyone know of a module or resource that has a pre made undersea city or palace?  One of my group paying saltmarsh took up the sea elf Prince when his character drowned  and then promised the support of his city.  Now the party wants to visit the city and negotiate for those resources.  I want them to have a good time and have at least the trappings of a city around them but I don't want to build and populate an entire city in a week or 2 for a 1 week adventure that could, potentially become a rerunning resource but might not.
       
      Does anyone know of a module or supplement for an Atlantis or similar city below the waves?
    • By Lostraven
      Here is the cyclops from the Bones 4 Cave Dwellers stretch goal. This a really nice figure and casting. I've been committed to working through by core set and I'm still only about 25% in. Man do you get a lot of figures in that KS!
       
       






    • By Rigel
      Frog-folk are always irresistible, and tiny poison-arrow frog-folk even more so. These are from a Nolzur's 3-pack. One had some kind of horns on its head I didn't fancy, so I trimmed those off. Look at these big-headed little savages!  
       


       
      More angles: 
       
      But I know you're all here for the Grenadier! Afraid I had to get this Marsh Dragon from Mirliton, but I couldn't resist. It's so salamander-like, with goggling newt eyes and axolotl gills, and that lovely rounded snout. We're really jaded by fancy dragons after years of fantasy art. Even a low-level drake like this would be pant-fillingly TERRIFYING in real life. Look at that dynamic curve of its body, the lashing tail! The armored prehistoric arrogance of a crocodilian, but faster and more agile; something with the metabolism of a tiger and the yawning bite of a leopard seal, with a bone-breaking tail-swipe. This is a great 'cryptid' dragon, suitable for Call of Cthulhu or a low-fantasy gritty medieval / renaissance game. 

      You know any treasure hoard is buried deep in soft, acidic mud, too. They don't stockpile precious metals in particular, but anything else gets corroded away in that caustic sump.

      Like the Grungs, I gave it vivid aposematic coloration, partly like the salamanders it resembles, and partly because many of the dragons chronicled in Continental European legend were feared less for their size than for their virulent poison. 



      I don't know what the excrescence on its back is meant to be; certainly not wings. Maybe a bony outgrowth, maybe a Suriname Toad style brood pouch of puckered and toughened hide, maybe an organic saddle. Since there are so many styles and colorations of poison dart frogs, I might get another pack of Grung and modify one of them to ride on this thing. Their bandy legs and its peaked carapace look like a good fit.
       
      EDIT: More froggies! 
       
       









  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...