Sign in to follow this  
MusicalFeline

Owlbear (NOT Reaper's)

We are always our own harshest critic. I think you did a very good job on the eyes. And the whole effect looks sharp, well done.

• Like 2

Looking good, you seem to have made some great progress since posting your first minis a month or so back.  On the topic of eyes, ultra-fine line markers are my secret weapon!  Some may consider it 'cheating', but I've yet to find an easier way to dot those pupils.

pens.png.527bba9f44db47ee6d110156f0c84dbd.png

• Like 2

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Edited by Dan S

4 hours ago, Dan S said:

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

Yeah that looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen bit), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

You can also use them for easily putting text onto scrolls and banners etc.

Edited by Dan S

9 minutes ago, Dan S said:

Looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

Brilliant, I'll give that a shot!

I like him too, great job on those eyes!  I also love the lighter brown on the feathers at the edges of his forearms, great for visual interest!  And don't worry about being "careless" with the wash.  Unless I'm doing something special my favourite technique with a wash is "slobber it everywhere".

• Like 1