Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MusicalFeline

Owlbear (NOT Reaper's)

Recommended Posts

We are always our own harshest critic. I think you did a very good job on the eyes. And the whole effect looks sharp, well done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, you seem to have made some great progress since posting your first minis a month or so back.  On the topic of eyes, ultra-fine line markers are my secret weapon!  Some may consider it 'cheating', but I've yet to find an easier way to dot those pupils.

 

  pens.png.527bba9f44db47ee6d110156f0c84dbd.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

 

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

@Dan S Hey thanks! I was just thinking about how much it's improved since those kobolds myself, actually...

Wait a sec, do you mean just normal, fine-tip Sharpies and the like? Or are we talking special markers designed for minis?

 

'Cause if you mean just plain old Sharpies... Hoooooly cow. My life just got a whole lot easier.

 

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Edited by Dan S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan S said:

 

I've never used a sharpie so I wouldn't know, do they look like the pens above?  Fineliners (sometimes called line markers or fine line markers) are a type of pen used mainly for technical drawing, they have very fine nibs (Which range from 0.5mm to 0.05mm) that are perfectly round and ideal for dotting your eyes.  The brand I use is called 'Graphik Line Makers' by Derwent, I used to do a lot of drawing and so have had a set for years, but only recently discovered how well they do eyes on miniatures. 

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

Not quite identical, but rather similar.

Sharpie® Ultra Fine Point Marker | Michaels

Got a bunch of these lying around, but if they don't work I'll try out the one you listed above!

 

Yeah that looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

 

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen bit), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

 

You can also use them for easily putting text onto scrolls and banners etc.

Edited by Dan S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dan S said:

 

Looks like the right type of nib to me, give it a try the next time you paint a mini, its not much work to repaint the eyes white if it goes wrong or if you don't like it.

 

Here is the video where I first saw the pens being used for eyes (skip ahead to 14:55 for the pen), he calls it a micron pen but its the same thing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQkQiMKex0

Brilliant, I'll give that a shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him too, great job on those eyes!  I also love the lighter brown on the feathers at the edges of his forearms, great for visual interest!  And don't worry about being "careless" with the wash.  Unless I'm doing something special my favourite technique with a wash is "slobber it everywhere".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rigel
      Slaad from Nolzur's. Blue and Green painted in their normal colors; Death and Gray panted in red and black. 
      Not just for fantasy; also make good spacemonsters and post-apocalyptic mutant/invaders, as shown here.


    • By Corpsekin
      I painted some Warhammer snake elves up as corn snakes a while back and really liked how they came out. I didn't think the full pattern would work well on a hydra but I went with the same colours and I'm pretty pleased with the result.


    • By Corpsekin
      This guy has been sitting in my unpainted minis pile for a while, looking forward to eventually getting to use him in dnd.


    • By Glitterwolf
      3D printed on my Elegoo Mars.
      Design by Artisan Guild.
       
      Abyss Demon this one came as a sample for presupported minis without his hands, so I printed two claws from the Death Tide Jurakin Set and upscaled those to 125% to fit the Demon.
      He's part of my Horde of the North Project.
      WIP here:
       
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79398-horde-of-the-north-glitterwolf-paints-barbarians-and-mammoths/page/5/#comments
       
      The Horde marches South to the civilized lands, ready to plunder and pillage.
      Led by the mighty Mumlak all barbarians, beastmen, orcs and trolls join the Horde.
      The Horde grows, sometimes a group gets impatient and infighting is common, Mumlak cares not.
      There are enough warriors to conquer the Realm of Men.
       
      A Shaman has performed a dark ritual and summoned a demon to join their cause.
      Full of rage the clawed abomination enters the mortal realm, ready to kill.
      Amused Mumlak watches the scene, wondering if the shaman will be able to control the demon.
       






    • By Neptune1999
      Matthias the Twisted was insanely fun to paint, he's definitely  one of my favorite undead models, and one of Bobby Jackson's more eerie characters. 
      Despite it being the bane to Castlevania fans everywhere, i took inspiration for the hunter from Simon off of the cover of the Castlevania 2 box art. What a game haha. Sorry for the pictures being a bit blurry, but C&C is surely appreciated. 


  • Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...