Sign in to follow this  
Dr Boom

Bones IV Dire Crab

I love it too.  That top down shot really shows how great the chitin shell looks.  The varied greens was just contrast paint?  I've been thinking of picking up some Apothecary White just so I can actually have the courage to try painting something white for once lol.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, stormbreach said:

I love it too.  That top down shot really shows how great the chitin shell looks.  The varied greens was just contrast paint?  I've been thinking of picking up some Apothecary White just so I can actually have the courage to try painting something white for once lol.

I find I either love or hate the contrast paints. Some of them (like Black Templar) work really well, while others not so much, or they’re just the old shades rebranded (I’m looking at you Aethermatic Blue and Shyish Purple). For this crab, I undercoated in Corax White (for some reason Grey Seer and Wraithbone don’t go well with Black Bonesium ). I then did a single blotchy coat of Militarum Green, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade.

My experience with Apothecary White is a bit meh. It’s not as useless as Aethermatic Blue, but you end up having to re-highlight in White anyway. My rule for anything white is not to use any paint with “white” in it’s name it tends to be two stark or chalky. My top highlight tends to be something slightly off white like Pallid Wytchflesh

• Like 1