• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      One of the three minis in the "44036 Dreadmere Females" pack
      aka "Serena, Dreadmere Rogue" as she is known in the metal version.
      More like, "Serena, Dark Brotherhood Assassin" if you ask me. Nothing screams secret stealth assassin on a mission to do bloody murder as having members-only assassin guild special shrouded armour that is distinct and different from all other armour types and uniforms...

Hm. I thought I heard something...

44036 "Women of Dreadmere" #1 of 3
      Dreadmere Expansion, Bones 4 kickstarter 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Bones Black PVC
      Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi
      30mm base.
      Available from reapermini.com
    • By Maledrakh
      One of the oldest Bones models in existence:

Reaper Bones 77009 "Werewolf", from the 2011 O.G. pre-kickstarter Bones lineup. This mini is also available in metal under the name 02747 "Jean Paul DuChamps, Werewolf". I just got the hankering to paint this one. Nothing special.

Oui! Le loup-garou! En garde!

77009 Werewolf
      Pre-kickstarter Bones
      Reaper Miniatures
      Classic, blinding white Bones PVC
      Sculpted by Ben Siens
      40mm base.
      Available from reapermini.com
    • By Maledrakh
      At the very end of the Lost Valley, the bossfight: Clubtail!

A plant eating 4-ton tank armed with a deadly morning star tail, an armoured hide with spikes, -a fantasy version of an Ankylosaur. The clubtail is larger than the fossil record of Ankylosaur supports. Also the spikes are overstated in comparison. A lot.
      At any rate, the Ankylosaur was contemporary with the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the Triceratops. All are from what is now North America in the late Cretaceous period, roughly 68 million years ago. It needed that armour.  The question remains: What did it use the club-like tail for? To smesh predators? Rivals? Trees? An impressive display to attract mates? All of the above?
      And the clubtail has spikes. Did I mention the spikes?

I detest painting spikes. It takes absolutely ages and I invariably lose patience and botch the job. These look OK for tabletop but do not stand up to close scrutiny at all. At least it is done. Together with the entire Lost Valley Expansion! Woot!

The Clubtail is, in fact, the distant forebearer of the modern day Dragon Tortoise aka Koopa.

I made it a 125mm x 100mm base.

44076 Clubtail
      from the Lost Valley Expansion
      Bones 4 kickstarter, delivered 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Jason Wiebe
      Made in Bones Black PVC
      125x100mm bespoke 3D printed base
      available from reapermini.com

• By Maledrakh
      Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures still make some great D&D monsters, here are three more:

Wave 1: Displacer Beast

The Displacer Beast is one of the iconic D&D monsters, described as a six legged panther with a pair of enormous tentacles growing out of it's back.  If that is not bad enough, the schtick of this beast is that is displaces.  This is an ability that makes it appear as it is a few feet off from where it actually is, so while the party are slashing at the image in thin air, the beast invisibly outflanks them with it's powerful claws and massive bite attack coming from seemingly out of nowhere.

Where are the mirrors I need to start breaking?
      I rebased it on a 40mm round. This is a Wave 1 mini, released a few years ago. The tentacles needed repositioning using the  hot water/cold water technique.

Wave 11: Grell & Basilisk
      Grell:

Who names these monsters? Grell?  What kind of a name is that? This is obviously the Flying Spaghetti Monster!
      The tentacles did not turn out all that well. The purple was too strong compared to the other colours and dried too fast to blend. Bah!

Check out the big brain on Brett!
      40mm base.

And in the same pack as the Grell, a Basilisk:

This one was significantly smaller than I expected. Please disregard the piece of flock-fluff on it's right side middle. This is a loose particle I did not see was stuck there until after the pictures were taken. I just cannot be bothered with taking new ones.

Nice doggie?
      30mm x 20mm oval base.

Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures
      Wizkids
      I have no idea who sculpted these, as WizKids do not -as far as I know- publish this info.
      PVC
    • By Maledrakh
      Some time in the late 1990s I did an entire lizardman army for the fantasy wargame Raven by Harlequin miniatures. I am thinking of rebasing and touching up this army as a generic, system agnostic one. That army had some smaller raptors and also raptor riders.  The paint scheme here is similar to how I painted those lizardmen back in the day, so these raptors should fit right in with this army.

44081: Raptor Hunting Pack (5)

The paint scheme is rather simple and quick to paint and does not really require much precision:
      Deep green over black undercoat, followed by a heavy drybrush with a bottle green, such as Dark Angels Green or similar. Over this a lighter drybrush on the legs/arms and very very lightly on the belly and underside in general with an olive green such as 70.967 Vallejo Model Color Olive Green or the old citadel goblin green.

The back gets some reddish brown or terracotta, followed by a sandy yellow/ochre that leaves some of the reddish brown visible around the edges. On this a light drybrush with 70.976 Vallejo Model Color Buff or similar bone yellow colour.  Mix in some white for a final highlight if desired. Gloss black on claws, paint in the eyes as follows: the entire eyeball and eyesocket in black or something very dark. The eyeball in buff, then some transparent yellow (or citadel cassandora yellow shade) with some thinned transparent orange in the middle. When dry, a thin vertical line of black, followed by gloss varnish on only the eyeballs. Teeth in a light beige or whatever you like.
      I made 45x30 oval bases for them.
      I need to say that the Bones Black material is very good for PVC minis, and far superior to the regular white Bones material. But these minis have some questionable detailing around the hands and feet. Or should I say lumpy bits at the end of the legs? It would seem that the factory has maybe pulled a fast one on Reaper and the QC has let us all down on these specific minis by not spotting this and having it fixed before signing off on them.
      I don't really mind all that much as the bits in question are for the most part hidden in the basing flockmix, but it is a bit frustrating knowing that they both could and should have had crisper details on the feet and hand claws.

Oi you lot! Gerroff my lawn!

• Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)