Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Help with worldbuilding? Please please please?

6FE34A97-206D-484B-8CD7-0FF64C143B34.jpeg.c9f5616f420fee6158daaeb74ac87360.jpeg

^So this started running like fire through all my fantasy/D&D FB groups yesterday, and I hopped the bandwagon and posted it to a group I thought would be funny about it--and got such wildly awesome questions that I spent the whole evening answering them and getting to know my world better. So!

Ask a question about my world! Anything. Vaguely or with detail, large or small, silly or smart. I'll answer and no doubt come to learn a little more about the world in which I've been building my stories.

If you wanna play along and answer questions about your own world and let this be a thread for everyone, that's cool too. I'll throw out some questions too.

Thanks in advance! Aaaaand: Go!

• Like 2

I need to know about the pantheon so I can develop a cleric/paladin that honors the tenets of their god/gods to the best of their ability.  Or a heretic that just wants to watch the world burn.  Either option is equally likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is one standard trope (sentient race, common critter, character class, etc.) you are leaving out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Name one minor catastrophe that effected all the human(oid)s in your setting. 

Bonus points for legends built up around the event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What would a PC have to do to set off the most powerful mortal being in your world to the extent that they went on a murderous rampage through the most civilized parts of your world?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What sort of pests do you have in your cities? What do they eat? What sort of pest control do your inhabitants have to get up to? Do these pests have any useful qualities or were they released pets or were they simply wild critters that moved in and began self-domesticating?

How does climate alter the pest content/type/numbers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I need to know about the pantheon so I can develop a cleric/paladin that honors the tenets of their god/gods to the best of their ability.  Or a heretic that just wants to watch the world burn.  Either option is equally likely.

The religious systems in my world are really scattered and broken--the gods are distant from the world, religious sects popping up mainly along racial lines and their churches holding little wide world or political power for the most part. Most of what falls as divine magic in D&D works is accessible to arcane casters, and there's a lot of argument as to whether the gods are even responsible for empowering their casters. But belief persists, devotion is rewarded with results by whatever means, and the world goes on.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

What's the most important thing about your world that you don't know yet?  ::D:

The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, probably.

2 hours ago, strawhat said:

What is one standard trope (sentient race, common critter, character class, etc.) you are leaving out?

No drow. There's a race of underground baddies possibly vaguely related to elves, which is maybe bad enough lol, but decidedly not drow, which do not exist.

Character classes aren't really a thing (though I just use those of whatever system we're playing when I get to run a game set in my world); there are people who hit things with other things, people who cast magic, etc. Some are rogueier or rageier or whatever than others, some have more natural affinity for magic while others learn more from books and the like, and there's a lot of overlap/spread where people learn different things and smash it all together.

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Name one minor catastrophe that effected all the human(oid)s in your setting. 

Bonus points for legends built up around the event.

About a thousand years ago there was a major seismic event that split the northern supercontinent, opening a sea lane between the northern sea and great southern ocean. It was a rather major catastrophe for those living in the area, reshaping empires and societies, particularly weakening the elven empire to the east and giving rise to much more stable and powerful human civilization to the west, but the opening of the passage also created a major trade and transportation route that had affected people throughout the globe.

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Do they have indoor plumbing or outhouses and corncobs?

People keep asking this question. :lol:

Fairly standard pre-running water/indoor plumbing situation. May run into something a bit more complex or zany here and there, but.

• Like 4

What is the most common vermin, and (if applicable - some things are just common knowledge) how do they frustrate people?

What is the favored weapon?

What kind of food/drink is common there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this world shaped like…

a) planet …a near-sphere

a) cylinder

the) discworld

a) ringworld

an) escher polyhedral object

a) cube

an) inner earth or dyson sphere

a) table world with four corners

?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What kind of horrors plague the larger villages (or cities), and at what kind of frequency? Are they spectral, are they plant based?  What do these horrors, I'd they exist, do if they manage to break into the village, and what kind of means can be used to sate them, or even offer them final rest? 

Can woodchucks chuck wood? 

Are beavers a massive, horrifying enemy that's built up, and tamed the moose to ride into battle? Do their eyes glow that fiendish colour? If so, what colour? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Pegazus said:

What would a PC have to do to set off the most powerful mortal being in your world to the extent that they went on a murderous rampage through the most civilized parts of your world?

Asking for a friend.

There aren't really any standout super-powered individuals--like, no Elminster or Drizzt or the like that are so mighty in a setting like the Realms. There are a lot of people of enormous skill and power power who no doubt would step in to stop anyone on such a rampage.

Stealing artifacts from wizards or weapons from warlords or daughters from kings are always a good way to stay a row tho.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

What sort of pests do you have in your cities? What do they eat? What sort of pest control do your inhabitants have to get up to? Do these pests have any useful qualities or were they released pets or were they simply wild critters that moved in and began self-domesticating?

How does climate alter the pest content/type/numbers?

Cities are generally overrun with regular old mice and rats, pigeons and the like. Dire mice are actually a serious issue in a number of cities along the coast--nice the size of rats, not particularly hostile but unfortunately very resilient. A good cat or twelve is generally the best cure, though all manner of mystical alternatives have been proposed and tried, often by traveling salesmen who tend to charlatans.

Locust swarms are a frequent problem for settlements and barbarian encampments along the western plains. They tend to come and go with drought cycles, with every seventh year or so seeing a particular spike that may spread eat the more civilized areas. A number of carnivorous plants have been imported from southern jungles or bred in magical labortories to deal with such swarms, but there have been cases of such creations themselves getting out of hand and even once taking over a while town itself.

15 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

What is the most common vermin, and (if applicable - some things are just common knowledge) how do they frustrate people?

What is the favored weapon?

What kind of food/drink is common there?

Mice and rats, add pretty above, are the most common ailment of cities. Bed bugs and lice are a particular concern for the very poor and travelers alike. Special powders are often formulated by wizards and sold to adventurers and merchants and others staying at inns to help prevent infestations.

Favored weapons vary across the land. The bow is common to plains tribes and the elves, though the former are given to large weapons and the latter to smaller and quicker blades in melee situations. Dwarves are very fond of picks and axes and the like that double as tools in their jobs, such as mining and logging and so on. The halfling sailers of the Summer Isles to the north are known to fight with the harpoon they use for whaling, and humans of various kingdoms have attachments to various types of sword--greatswords in some traditions and longswords in others being very popular. The spear is a great utility weapon and features prominently in many militaries.

Common vegetables and farm animals sustain the populations. In smaller settlements home gardens are very much the norm. Chickens are kept even in large cities for eggs. Corn, what, beans, potatoes, cabbage, and rice are major crops, while cattle and pigs and house provide much of the meat, with fishing very important along the coasts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

A number of carnivorous plants have been imported from southern jungles

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

The halfling sailers of the Summer Isles to the north

What is the geography and weather of your world? How many continents do you have, or do you base your campaigns on? Previous answers suggest several scattered areas of warm/tropical areas at varying latitudes.

Are they called Summer Isles because they have a warm climate? And what are they to the north of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1