I have been wanting to build tree bases of several trees each for use at home. (Conventions will probably require individual trees for transport reasons.). I finally got around to starting a few test bases today.

A2D94C38-A56C-4F81-AA43-0DC99965C0BF.thumb.jpeg.4d2d9bd0c19964ee24bedc0106e0478d.jpeg

This one is approximately done, and uses a base with some extra scenic materials started at a workshop at Gencon last year.

05DF5D4B-F0A4-4CB0-AD92-B8466BBB618F.thumb.jpeg.214aa326f44661dbbda2ffe4e8ca04af.jpeg

The next two are in progress.  I need to paint the rocks, add some flock, and then glue down the trees.  While I would expect that 10-15 bases will be wanted for at-home gaming, three will have to do for now, and should feature in the current digression project, an attempt to paint/build everything new for a small-ish skirmish game.

• Like 21

The glue is still drying, and there will have to be some paint touch ups, but here are the tree bases laid out on a 30”x22” Kill Team mat, along with some rocks and buildings I’ve completed in the last week.

CD94F6EF-0F5D-4616-B1AA-861781988878.thumb.jpeg.f5801b2da4ed055b8da1c0513b5177a1.jpeg

Add in a hill or two (at most) and some walls or hedges and this is looking like enough for the near-term skirmish game...

• Like 15

Looking good, Rob!   

While the Gencon base definitely looks like mdf, are the other two tree bases mdf as well, or foamcore? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

Looking good, Rob!   

While the Gencon base definitely looks like mdf, are the other two tree bases mdf as well, or foamcore? 

Also mdf; I got a bunch with beveled edges from an Etsy dealer last fall. It’s just taken me this long to get started. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/8/2020 at 4:55 AM, Mothsniper said:

Nice!

Man, those are nice little forests you got!

Some mini mushrooms perhaps?

Not a bad idea, but they would have to stay realistically sized, as I need these trees for historicals as well as fantasy...so no overtly fantasy elements on the bases, at least until I have enough to add some specifically fantasy themed bases...

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      As Halloween approaches the dollar stores are filling up with cheap decorations and spooky bricabrac. Amid all the potential projects a certain reflective skull caught my eye. Not knowing if it would take paint or not I decided to roll the dice on a few. I attached them to some bases, added a bit of sand, and the next day I took them out to prime. 

They ended up taking primer just fine, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the primer I use. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of their grey primed goodness. 

Next up were the basecoats of the skull and "dirt".

I didn't get great or even smooth coverage on the skulls, but it was good enough as I was just going to add a heavy wash anyway.

The wash was a bit thicker than I wanted but again I figured it was passable and more than good enough to move onto a final drybrush.

Not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with my new drybrush. 

I finally took the leap and tried Uncle Atom's makeup dry brushing technique. Though this project probably qualifies as a failure, I do see the potential. Now all I need is more practice, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog of terrain just waiting to be painted.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
    • By lexomatic
      So I salvaged this bit of 16×20 particle board from a broken picture frame. I'll be using some of my foam core to make a city square/crossroads board with my foam rollers. Something for city games that isn't too time consuming, but is also good for a wide spread of genres with the proper buildings and scatter
      The tough part will be steaming off the paper and cutting down the various bits for rolling.

• By Katiepult
      While I love painting miniatures, painting terrain pieces is also fun! I started these two this month and finished just yesterday. I’m considering getting these two pieces again and do a desert themed set.

• By Inarah
      My project for August (and probably September) is to paint up some of the pile of terrain pieces in my collection.  I've been busy washing, scraping mold lines, and priming this week.  Some of what's ready: 

Bones altar, tomb, arch, spider throne and graveyard fences:

Pile of stones that came with a dragon (not sure which one).  Want to use this as a test piece before I open DDS2.

Octopus fountain, a 3d print that was a gift from a friend. I got primer and a base coat on it but wasn't sure where to go from here:

Spartan statue (there are 2), Halloween spooky tree, and a creepy statue that I forgot to clean and prime.  I'm not sure if it is supposed to lean like that, and if not, if I want to correct that. 

There will be more later.  My first goal is to do the arch and fence pieces.  There is one more small fence which was miscast, I am working on it with greenstuff. 

• Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)