Painted Kobold's

Downfall

I recently finished a group of Reaper Bones miniatures. As they are so small they were a little hard to paint at some points. I'm fairly new painting miniatures so I was looking for some feedback and potentially some tips on how to improve in the future. All comments, advice, and constructive criticism is welcome. 

My own main criticism with them is the highlights as I'm not 100% where/how to paint proper highlights to make a natural look without a ton of brush strokes.

Kobold Spearmen.jpg

Kobold Spearmen 2.JPG

Kobold Shortsword.JPG

Kobold Group.JPG

• Like 17

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw a wash on 'em. I painted the same figures recently, and a brown wash, such as Army Painter Quickshade Soft Tone will work. If you have the Quickshade Ink Set (dropper bottles), you can try matching the colors of the paint (eg. Red wash on orange and red, Green wash on green, Black wash on stone, Brown wash on brown and rest of model).

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum!

These looks pretty good.

You asked for advice, first thing I notice, is the teeth are the same colour as the skin.

If you use a small tippes brush you could give these a nice bone look.

A bit of a wash could help define depth. I will say something strange here, but on red? Use a green wash. It will enhance the colours more than a red one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Throw a wash on 'em. I painted the same figures recently, and a brown wash, such as Army Painter Quickshade Soft Tone will work. If you have the Quickshade Ink Set (dropper bottles), you can try matching the colors of the paint (eg. Red wash on orange and red, Green wash on green, Black wash on stone, Brown wash on brown and rest of model).

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try that out!

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome to the Forum!

These looks pretty good.

You asked for advice, first thing I notice, is the teeth are the same colour as the skin.

If you use a small tippes brush you could give these a nice bone look.

A bit of a wash could help define depth. I will say something strange here, but on red? Use a green wash. It will enhance the colours more than a red one.

Thanks for the advice! I actually just picked up some smaller brushes so I'll go in and get the teeth. The idea of the different color wash is something that I had not thought of before, I'll try it out and see how it turns out!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Downfall said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to try that out!

Thanks for the advice! I actually just picked up some smaller brushes so I'll go in and get the teeth. The idea of the different color wash is something that I had not thought of before, I'll try it out and see how it turns out!

I also use Blue wash on greens just did that on my new snake.

Brown wash on green also works depending on the look you want to achieve,

After the wash you usually need to highlight the original colour again leaving the wash in the recesses it will give more depth.

• Like 1