I am thinking of getting an airbrush but am uncertain where it could be used.  Specifically, if the airbrush is used at my painting desk in the house would it create a must of paint that could get on the floor or on furniture in the room?  I only plan to spray acrylic paints at relatively low pressure so I don't think fumes will be a significant issue but wondered if a hood would be necessary to filter out paint "mist" if I spray paint in the house.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ferret said:

I am thinking of getting an airbrush but am uncertain where it could be used.  Specifically, if the airbrush is used at my painting desk in the house would it create a must of paint that could get on the floor or on furniture in the room?  I only plan to spray acrylic paints at relatively low pressure so I don't think fumes will be a significant issue but wondered if a hood would be necessary to filter out paint "mist" if I spray paint in the house.

Is your painting desk near a window? I'd get a spray booth just to be safe so the fan can pull out the fumes. At low pressure, overspray should be low. Even spraying to prime, most all of my spray stays in the booth.

58 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

If you don't have a spray booth a card box is enough to keep the overspray  away from forniture, but you have to use a painting mask if you wanna preserve your lungs health.

I only wear a painting mask if I am doing the rare enamel shooting. My booth pulls the acrylic so fast, it doesn't have a chance to get to me:)

• Like 1

There are some diy options for spray booths that involve using a bathroom vent fan and a box.  There are some affordable miniatures sized spray booths available on the Great River site, some even with built in LED lighting, which is nice.

If you don't have one, MOST of the spray can be contained with a backdrop/placing it inside a box.  The particulates that escape will settle pretty fast, and they also dry fast. Meaning only your immediate over-spray is going to stick, the rest will be have like household dust and settle/clump/etc. it will also be an incredibly small amount you're unlikely to notice even with irregular cleaning. (If you do a lot of painting you might notice a slightly finer grey dust around your work area but it will be in the immediate vicinity.  Beyond that you won't notice it.)

HOWEVER, you should always wear a mask or have some kind of ventilation going to prevent exposing yourself to the fine particles while spraying.

Doom and gloom time.

Here's the thing - acrylic paint is mostly ok and most miniatures paint is non-toxic. Not All.  There are still paints out there that use pigments that are not safe to injest (Cadmiums and some other fine artist pigments come to mind - Reaper avoids those in their paint,as does Vallejo) The problem isn't the chemicals in the paint, it's the fine particulates will irritate and sometimes build up in your lungs and you should try to use some kind of ventilation or breathing protection even with non toxic acrylic.  At a minimum wear a fine particulate mask or work near an open window with a box fan pointed out it.  IF you use any solvent paints, including alcohol based paints, that mask now needs to include VOC (volitile organic chemical) filters. (I would wear this even with a spray booth when working with solvents.)

Doom and gloom over. All of this is mostly only a concern for the person(s)in the room when and where the spraying is happening. if it's all water based acrylic the droplets are heavy and will not hang in the air long and travel far within the house. Just don't do it with any solvent based paints.

• Like 1

If you use a spray box without any suction you'll end up with acrylic dust coming back at you and out into your room. You generally won't see it at first, since the particles are very small, but it's there and it can build up. If you aren't wearing a mask you'd be inhaling that dust. Exact how bad it is for you is something that's hard to say, the non-toxic label is regarding swallowing the paint rather than inhaling it though. If you look around online you can find pictures of how color builds up on masks over time. For my spray booth I use and old room hepa filter that's had it's filters discontinued along with two furnace filters, one course the other hepa. I also where a particulate mask.

You also say just acrylic paint, but be aware there are several brands of acrylic paints on the market that contain solvents, like Tamiya, if you use any of those you should wear and organic vapor respirator. If the acrylic paint says flammable on it, like Tamiya, you should also be careful about what sort of fan you use on you spray box. Most normal fans would give you a low, but real, risk of fire with those paint. Personally I just don't use any of those types of acrylic.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.