Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Hot and Dangerous 2

Recommended Posts

On their FB page someone posted this:

"If You wonder about helmet it is based on Juan de Borgoña paintings made in 1514 showing conquest of Oran. Cortez started his conqest of Cuba in 1511 and Mexico in 1519, so about the same time. Many miniatures of conquistadors are of time - they show Spanish army from 1580 or so."

 
115752099_3438412826169836_9041091620389783350_n.jpg.31be8466e2c518d9c91977f9d3f77d6d.jpg

It don't looks the same to my eyes... no crest in the helms on the painting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, It still looks like a mixup of several types of helmet.

 

I will wait for the aztec girl to see if she fits, if not, I have a whole warband waiting to be printed/painted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I’m not going into this needing to be historically accurate I am not really concerned about that aspect. It is kind of a weird choice on the helmet. I can actually see it as an ok representation of the picture, if you zoom in you can kind of see a crest on the second helmeted guy, but... basing it off that picture seems like an odd choice when you consider the icon image of a conquistador. But again for me, not really a concern since this figure will either be fighting dragons in a dungeon or be part of an army that has gryphons and wizards and fights animated dead and demons... but I understand for those needing it to be historically accurate. 
 

As far as the names go, I agree that a unit name should be accurate, don’t call a Knight a knighter... exc. but the names of the girls, again not really bothered. It is interesting though for Francesca as in their last Kickstarter they did have a girl in the Spanish faction named Francisca. Maybe they just didn’t want to repeat the name?

 

overall my interest in this will be pre-1800 girls. So the ww- 1 and newer girls dont interest me. I think Francesca looks good and definitely has a place in both my pathfinder games and in my fantasy Empire army. 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yup, It still looks like a mixup of several types of helmet.

 

I will wait for the aztec girl to see if she fits, if not, I have a whole warband waiting to be printed/painted.

 

Bilden kan innehålla: 1 person

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Since I’m not going into this needing to be historically accurate I am not really concerned about that aspect. It is kind of a weird choice on the helmet. I can actually see it as an ok representation of the picture, if you zoom in you can kind of see a crest on the second helmeted guy, but... basing it off that picture seems like an odd choice when you consider the icon image of a conquistador. But again for me, not really a concern since this figure will either be fighting dragons in a dungeon or be part of an army that has gryphons and wizards and fights animated dead and demons... but I understand for those needing it to be historically accurate. 
 

As far as the names go, I agree that a unit name should be accurate, don’t call a Knight a knighter... exc. but the names of the girls, again not really bothered. It is interesting though for Francesca as in their last Kickstarter they did have a girl in the Spanish faction named Francisca. Maybe they just didn’t want to repeat the name?

 

overall my interest in this will be pre-1800 girls. So the ww- 1 and newer girls dont interest me. I think Francesca looks good and definitely has a place in both my pathfinder games and in my fantasy Empire army. 

 

I agree, too. I don't really care about the historically correctness, as long as the figure appeals to me (from what I've seen thus far, that WW2 Brit looks promising). But the historical correctness of the uniforms does appear to be a selling point for Wargamer's Hot & Dangerous, as they mentioned specifically that they have been working with a historical consultant to get accurate historical uniforms. And if this is the case, it would be a shame if people, kinda immediatly after seeing the sculpt, can point out inaccurate details for the uniform.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will use minis for fantasy, I mean my conquistadores are fighting lizardmen..

But somehow I like the humans to look accurate so it's more believable?

May sound odd.

 

The Aztec girl looks nice, I do think the Macahuitl is a bit flat, the wood could have been carved.

Also..the helmet looks more like a Jaguar Warrior.

I will think about it.

 

Not trying to bash it though, they're nice sculpts.

To me they're just not quite it.

 

Either go pin up style or be sure to be accurate.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sold on the Aztec. But, a company (Wargames Atlantic) is coming out with plastic conquistadors and plastic Aztecs so I could get her to make a leader for an Aztec warband. 

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I will use minis for fantasy, I mean my conquistadores are fighting lizardmen..

But somehow I like the humans to look accurate so it's more believable?

May sound odd.

 

yup, your odd.. 

 

just kidding. Yeah I get that. I like my stuff to look consistent so if 90% of your guys look one way, I can see wanting the remaining 10% to follow suit, 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smokestack said:

I’m not sold on the Aztec. But, a company (Wargames Atlantic) is coming out with plastic conquistadors and plastic Aztecs so I could get her to make a leader for an Aztec warband. 

 

yup, your odd.. 

 

just kidding. Yeah I get that. I like my stuff to look consistent so if 90% of your guys look one way, I can see wanting the remaining 10% to follow suit, 

 

Yep, she would stand out too much.

Oh well, plenty of gorgeous minis to choose from especially now I can also print..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

On their FB page someone posted this:

"If You wonder about helmet it is based on Juan de Borgoña paintings made in 1514 showing conquest of Oran. Cortez started his conqest of Cuba in 1511 and Mexico in 1519, so about the same time. Many miniatures of conquistadors are of time - they show Spanish army from 1580 or so."
 

 

Okay...  

Juan was from the Duchy of Burgundy,but painted in Spain.  

(A lot of forreign painters did that)

And Oran is in Algerie.   

 

Back then it wasn't common to let forreign artists tag along with military expeditions, so I don't know how much experience he had with the real deal. 

Because Conquistadors weren't regular troops protecting Spain on home turf. 

To quote the font of inaccuracy... 

Conquistador is a term used for explorers and conquerors from Iberia during the Age of Discovery.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, about the Morion:
the "Morrión" makes his appearance in Spain in the XVI century so none of the conquerors of the Americas worn it. At the time they used to worn the "Capacete" (Kettle hat):
330px-Capillo_barbote2.jpg.649a7424fec22b3a8a714fbe97ca5908.jpg

So it may be partially accurate: as you can see the crest is completely different, also it got a visor and a collar (but there are many different models).
 

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

As far as the names go, I agree that a unit name should be accurate, don’t call a Knight a knighter... exc. but the names of the girls, again not really bothered. It is interesting though for Francesca as in their last Kickstarter they did have a girl in the Spanish faction named Francisca. Maybe they just didn’t want to repeat the name?

 

It's more interesting as the francisca was a throwing axe that could also be used for close combat (mostly used by the people of modern day Holland and secondarily by the actual Franks (France)).

 

I'm less interested in the historical accuracy of the figures than in how seriously the company takes their claims that the sculpts are historically accurate if you catch my drift. I got some lovely figures from the first campaign but, for some reason, I couldn't glue them together. They just did not take glue very well. Perhaps they used too much mould release agent or something.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

Ok, about the Morion:
the "Morrión" makes his appearance in Spain in the XVI century so none of the conquerors of the Americas worn it. At the time they used to worn the "Capacete" (Kettle hat):
So it may be partially accurate: as you can see the crest is completely different, also it got a visor and a collar (but there are many different models).
 


That’s a cool looking helmet. But are you saying that when Scooby doo fought the ghost conquistadors, that  wasn’t accurate?

 

10 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

I'm less interested in the historical accuracy of the figures than in how seriously the company takes their claims that the sculpts are historically accurate if you catch my drift. I got some lovely figures from the first campaign but, for some reason, I couldn't glue them together. They just did not take glue very well. Perhaps they used too much mould release agent or something.

 

Yeah that makes sense. If they had said “these are fantasy” then there wouldn’t be an issue. 
 

I didn’t have any trouble with gluing the ones from ks 1. I just used regular super glue, I am not generally fond of metal but these I didn’t Find that difficult to assemble. No super small pieces or super heave pieces with small connection points. Though I only got the girls that were pre or early 1800’s so if the layer ones were different I wouldn’t know. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

I didn’t have any trouble with gluing the ones from ks 1. I just used regular super glue, I am not generally fond of metal but these I didn’t Find that difficult to assemble. No super small pieces or super heave pieces with small connection points. Though I only got the girls that were pre or early 1800’s so if the layer ones were different I wouldn’t know. 

 

I still haven't been able to stick their Joan of Arc together. I didn't go for any of the 1800's ones either.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

I still haven't been able to stick their Joan of Arc together. I didn't go for any of the 1800's ones either.


I checked. That is one I got. And yeah, I do remember the banner being a pain because it was heavy. 
 

 

47931200-894C-4537-B9D0-47A51889BBC3.jpeg

111A563B-14D4-4C69-ACF4-2D7C6E85B803.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By animesensei
      Monster Terrain (Monster Fight Club) has fir/pine trees now available, as well as an unpainted and STL option.  The trees look good!
       
      I have their trees from last year and they are second best to Dwarven Forge in terms of quality for plastic trees.
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterfightclub/ice-wilds/description
       
       




    • By maphatter
      And now, the hour is here, when over 100+ new Lovecraftian Meanders are being unleashed upon the unsuspecting tables of DM's and players the world over - and a new wave of cosmic horror ushered in for tabletop RPG.
       
      MEANDERS 5: LOVECRAFT MYTHOS KICKSTARTER
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/meanders-5-lovecraft-mythos-maps
       
      Behold, if you will, the biggest, baddest Meanders campaign yet - with another expansion of all-new digital maps - and in time for your Halloween extravaganza.
       
      Kind Regards,
      Kris (MapHatter)

    • By Talae
      Return to Planet Apocalypse, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/return-to-planet-apocalypse?ref=android_project_share
      Yes, Petersen Games is doing a Kickstarter Exclusive again! Just this once! Planet Apocalypse was designed by Sandy Petersen, one of the best-known designers in horror gaming. In the early eighties he wrote the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game for Chaosium. In the nineties, he was a key designer for the ground-breaking video games Doom, Doom 2, and Quake. And in 2015, he released Cthulhu Wars. Now he returns to the topic of apocalyptic horror with a game Shut Up and Sit Down described as "[having] cemented Sandy Petersen as the king of games where you roll dice and things die."
      This Kickstarter offers two separate tabletop experiences:
      The board game (core game reprint) with new expansions. 
      A 325+ role-playing book for 5th edition D&D with TONS of content to bring the apocalypse to your fantasy world, plus new adventures, monsters and more.
    • By zemjw
      Not figure related, but hopefully of use to folks wanting to generate characters and backstory
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rdpsyche/reckless-deck-psyche
       
       

       
      Way over funded and 21 days to go.
    • By aku-chan
      Twisted are returning to Kickstarter soon, it's still in the teasing stage at the moment but there should be more details next week.
       
      Since their first Kickstarter wrapped up pretty dang late (even by usual Kickstarter standards), I'm hoping they've learnt a few lessons and keep this one fairly small and manageable.
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 2 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...