Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Hot and Dangerous 2

38 minutes ago, Corsair said:

An observation from someone who is not buying these. Nothing against them, just not up my alley.

The maker billed this as "Hot and Dangerous" and the artwork lives up to that description. However, the renders are much more realistic then the usual expectation of "Hot". The artwork shows busty babes and the 3D renders show less cheesecake. Both are very well done, but it seems to show a lack of agreement or communication between the artists.

This is a fair assessment.  It has been asked in the comments on the kickstarter. The Creator has stated this:

"Well, that's quite opposite kind of comment than in the previous campaign. In Season I we have people complaining for "too much pin-up in miniatures" in this season we have people complaining for 'being too realistic'.

I'm not gonna even try to convince you they are not 'boys with long hair' but 'very sexy girl' because it's very personal opinion. I respect you have different feeling what is hot and what not. No offence taken :)

We know we can't please everyone but it was our choice to made miniatures in season II that way. Miniatures are ready and we'll not change them. Next week we'll show you real miniatures, I think they look much better than renders. I'm quite sure you will find at least one more girl for you in our future reveals."

On the Campaign page they state: "First season was prepared in pin-up style convention. Second one - due to high demand - comes with more realistic miniatures which makes them perfect for wargaming and RPG, still being a real joy to paint."

On a personal note. I didnt really like the art. I think it was cute and fun, but I am looking for minis to use in games. Which from the quotes above it sounds like they heard that a lot. I would have been embarrassed to use halter top "boobs out" minis in any serious game, and so the direction that the minis went was very suitable to me. I know that is not what everyone wants though.

But... this is the campaign. If its not for you, great. You dont have to purchase. I dont see why people who have already said they are not participating are feeling the need to come and lay so much negativity. Its not enough to not like the direction, say so and move on. But now there is the need to come and convince others that something is bad or spread as much negativity as you can. I have not seen this level of poo pooing on other kickstarters here. So I am not sure what the agenda is. It is not universal mind you. And i appreciate many people who have posted here... But some, have seemed to be coming here maliciously. That saddens me, as this has always been a very friendly forum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I missed the first Hot & Dangerous campaign but that’s OK because I much prefer the less risqué style of this campaign’s miniatures anyway. 

I collect for my D&D campaigns so I’m only in for three at this stage (Alexandra, Darya and Atotoztli) but I might get Greta, Misaki and any other suitable ones that become available later. 

Edit: Actuallllllllllllllly... I just went to pledge and hadn't realized I'd be spending over $10 per figure (incl. shipping). I just can't afford that right now so I'm going to have to skip this one I'm afraid. It's a shame because I think this KS offers some really interesting and unique figures.

Edited by Kalibak
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Smokestack said:

This is a fair assessment.  It has been asked in the comments on the kickstarter. The Creator has stated this:

"Well, that's quite opposite kind of comment than in the previous campaign. In Season I we have people complaining for "too much pin-up in miniatures" in this season we have people complaining for 'being too realistic'.

I'm not gonna even try to convince you they are not 'boys with long hair' but 'very sexy girl' because it's very personal opinion. I respect you have different feeling what is hot and what not. No offence taken :)

We know we can't please everyone but it was our choice to made miniatures in season II that way. Miniatures are ready and we'll not change them. Next week we'll show you real miniatures, I think they look much better than renders. I'm quite sure you will find at least one more girl for you in our future reveals."

On the Campaign page they state: "First season was prepared in pin-up style convention. Second one - due to high demand - comes with more realistic miniatures which makes them perfect for wargaming and RPG, still being a real joy to paint."

On a personal note. I didnt really like the art. I think it was cute and fun, but I am looking for minis to use in games. Which from the quotes above it sounds like they heard that a lot. I would have been embarrassed to use halter top "boobs out" minis in any serious game, and so the direction that the minis went was very suitable to me. I know that is not what everyone wants though.

But... this is the campaign. If its not for you, great. You dont have to purchase. I dont see why people who have already said they are not participating are feeling the need to come and lay so much negativity. Its not enough to not like the direction, say so and move on. But now there is the need to come and convince others that something is bad or spread as much negativity as you can. I have not seen this level of poo pooing on other kickstarters here. So I am not sure what the agenda is. It is not universal mind you. And i appreciate many people who have posted here... But some, have seemed to be coming here maliciously. That saddens me, as this has always been a very friendly forum. 

I do hope I didn't give off that vibe, I can see that it could have been percieved that way.

I was hoping for something because a female Conquistadore and an Aztec Girl would fit my project, it didn't because historically they're wrong in my eyes.

That doesn't mean they're not great minis, just not for me.

My last remark was meant as constructive critisicm, I don't mind which way the creator wanted to go, but artists and sculptors need to be on the same page.

Now you get an expectation based of artwork and it doesn't comply with the real thing.

A little off is one thing, a lot off is something else.

So I hope they will improve that for their next project since I really think it could improve their sales.

Maybe that has come off as too negative, not my intention.

Sorry about that.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

I think is just frustration... At least in my case I would love to buy this kind of minis, but I'm a painter, not a player: what I would love is some more characteristic faces and body shapes; and this leads me to frustration and the need to whine about it :;):

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They made it quite clear on the first campaign that the minis were pin-up style. Anyone who complained about that really backed the wrong KS and should have been ignored with their complaints. 

It was the pin-up style specifically that drew me in...   

So, yes, I'm quite disappointed by them showing pin-up style art, then boring 'realistic' renders. 

I would suggest that they count how many of the backers of the first KS complained... 

As for the Stonehaven comparison...  

Like comparing apples and hot dogs... 

Incidentally, I haven't backed that one, either. I expect that I'll pick up one or two of the minis later, in retail. 

(there's a few others, already in their store I that I also want)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a person not interested in pin-up, I still think their first KS had more interesting sculpts. While I like, in theory, that they now make miniatures more sensible to actually playing, I also don't understand the decision to keep the same pin-up direction for the drawings from the first KS, but change the miniatures so drastically. There's just a disconnect. They clearly have a lot of artistic talent, but why didn't they draw more buttoned-up ladies if that was the direction for this project? Or give it a bit of a different name that doesn't just imply a continuation of the first round of miniatures. I almost didn't click on this thread because I thought I'd be more of the same and it wasn't for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I was hoping for something because a female Conquistadore and an Aztec Girl would fit my project, it didn't because historically they're wrong in my eyes.

That doesn't mean they're not great minis, just not for me.

You might consider female Jaguar knight from Paymaster games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@buckyball

That picture really shouldn't be here... There are nudity rules in effect.

EDIT: I's not really nude, but certain bits are too visibly pointy... 

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

As for the Stonehaven comparison...  

Like comparing apples and hot dogs... 

no, not really. The comparison was made as there was a comment that the campaign wasn’t doing well and if only they... x ... they would do better. 

I chose Stonehaven as it is a Kickstarter that is live and is being discussed on this forum. Both are for gaming miniatures. Both are metal and both are being run by relatively small operations. I like Stonehaven and backed their gnome and elf Kickstarters. There have been complaints about some figures being flat or not dynamic, but never posts calling it “lazy sculpting” or what not. The minis to me are good, but I think are more expensive than what I would be willing to pay for them. But. And here is the key, I realized they were not for me, so just didn’t back. I did not feel the need to go to the page and dump on every reveal. 

it’s not a hot dog and apple analogy (I like the visual) as it’s got the same type of items, by the same size company at the same time being discussed on the same forum. If anything Stone haven should come out better in comparison as they have run more Kickstarters and have had a longer presence here in these forums. My point was despite some vocal people here, this Kickstarter is doing well. 

@Glitterwolf you were not one of the people I was referring to. And incidentally, I understand people’s frustration. If I could run this Kickstarter I would make it like ks1, where you could freely choose which 10 models you get, and I would have a resin option (as I dislike metal minis). 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Smokestack I hope I didn't come off as being nasty, I just  was following the comments of others. I hope I didn't drive a wedge between us.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@Smokestack I hope I didn't come off as being nasty, I just  was following the comments of others. I hope I didn't drive a wedge between us.

No, no you didn’t. I probably read in to some people’s posts too. This is a friendly forum and that’s what struck me as odd. So it’s possible it was just me and not anyone else. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

No, no you didn’t. I probably read in to some people’s posts too. This is a friendly forum and that’s what struck me as odd. So it’s possible it was just me and not anyone else. 

Tone of voice doesn't translate particularly well through text.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Tone of voice doesn't translate particularly well through text.

That's the main drawback from written text.

One reads it in the mood one's in or what one expects.

It could be totally different from what the writer meant.

More reasons to explain better what one means when writing I guess.

• Like 3

So, I am not really interested on the more modern figures. This one will include rules to play with the DUST game, which is WW2 with werewolves and gorrila soldiers? I am not sure, but I have seen some interesting minis for this game... including school girls and ninjas? So i am imagining its not a historical game.

They are supposed to have a scale shot this week to show that the mini is compatible with the DUST line. 

• Like 2