Sign in to follow this  
lazarp

Wizkids Athrogate conversion

Ok lets talk about this mini. 

IMG_20200716_213615.thumb.jpg.fd9e68d926c5c832c4f65d20b366b09b.jpg

I got it two years ago in the Legend of Drizzt boxed game and just never use it. Why? Because it just looks weird for a dwarf and it is overall lacking if that makes sense. But I believe it has potential to look pretty cool and become one of my favourite minis. This isn't the first time that I dislike and convert a Wizkids "hero" mini but this conversion will be the most drastic so far.

So lets begin. First of all, the thing that bugs me the most are Athrogates flails. I've found some artwork online and here's how they could look like:

hinchel-or-athrogate-final-da.thumb.jpg.6ae7ce092c3a5b774ab56ce3e0464cb2.jpgd1zxmj4-c7b83477-3cf9-450d-80d9-7760e2f13bcf.jpg.8de0d029f8fa3921c4f3cad7d94fd48f.jpg

And, if you take a look at the first image above, they look like a pair of maracas:

61dZAVY7vFL._AC_SY355_.jpg.b1a4c6adb4bd28c97ec5b70cf5d9aa9a.jpg

This obviously means that I have to do a weapon swap. I will also change his hand position to make the pose more intimidating.

The second thing that i dislike is his spiked armor, it is supposed to look cool I guess but to me those spikes resemble crystals and it just looks super weird to me (kinda like the dark souls crystal armor) and doesn't go with the overall vibe of the mini

Crystal_general.jpg.f879786e2c5bd007062241ae20c9679d.jpg

That means I will also remove the spikes from his helmet, shoulder armor and boots and make them look different and hopefully better.

I'm sorry for a long post, and I will keep you updated. Thanks for looking! 

Edited by lazarp
  • Like 5

Sounds like an ambitious project but I hope it comes out like you envision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have cut all of the spikes with an exacto knife, next i will use fine sandpaper to smoothen the surfaces. I decided also to add horns to the helm, i will make them out of greenstuff.

IMG_20200717_131746.thumb.jpg.52bf0302fed9661e666ded7ab78a4e1d.jpgIMG_20200717_131751.thumb.jpg.496fd951b86e4a7a923a4f725c794b06.jpg

As for the weapon swap, I have some decent looking flails in my bits bag, but I believe two axes will suit him better, or maybe a two handed axe. Here are some handaxe heads I found, but I probably have more laying around that I will look for later.

IMG_20200716_215713.thumb.jpg.f240bb340268117b1faa16e760b95418.jpg

Also for everyone watching If you have any tips or tricks to share you are welcome. I really like doing conversions and I've done a bunch already, but I always like to hear suggestions and comments from other people in this hobby. :winkthumbs:

Edited by lazarp
  • Like 7

Here's some progress, I've sanded the parts that needed to be smoother and I put pins in his helmet for the horns and in his arms to change the hand position.

IMG_20200718_095300.thumb.jpg.98a4cddec30170b507e853798f6558b8.jpg

• Like 2

I've stuck the hands back. I believe this altered hand position makes the pose more dynamic. For the axes I've chosen for his right hand an axe from 03403: Na'Kaat Female Half Dragon Paladin, and for his left a two handed axe from the North Star Gnolls Sprue. Next I will fill the gaps with greenstuff and sculpt him some horns.

IMG_20200718_184812.thumb.jpg.f50aefbe0a3ebaf5cd68bf7ef137e06c.jpgIMG_20200718_184757.thumb.jpg.aff490bc4bbace3829c258c228121a8e.jpgIMG_20200718_184803.thumb.jpg.a6e44f0337b19ebc690cd7af8bb66cec.jpg

• Like 8

On 7/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Jeepnewbie said:

Looking good, will be watching your conversion. 

I'm not in town till Sunday, but as soon as I get back im filling and sculpting what's needed with greenstuff.:winkthumbs: Thank you for commenting!

• Like 1