Sign in to follow this  
lazarp

First time doing NMM

So this is me trying to paint non-metallic metal for the first time. The mini is one of the dwarves from thehnolog's castlecraft line. Since it is my first, I'm pretty happy with the result. I hope I'll get better at this over time. All comments and suggestions regarding NMM are welcome. Thanks for looking! :winkthumbs:

IMG_20200719_191026__01.thumb.jpg.d79e15a1f0e87dfcda4e0b81f8c20d16.jpgIMG_20200719_191046__01.thumb.jpg.cbbdcdea530710e1eda975f9db6ab65f.jpg

IMG_20200719_191112__01.thumb.jpg.2cc6588916a4cf70c635dd0047b5e65c.jpgIMG_20200719_191118__01.thumb.jpg.7f54453a190139cddb31ac2a863601ec.jpg

Edited by lazarp
  • Like 20

Very nice. The placement of colors seems pretty good*, so I'll just give the standard boilerplate "Push the contrast!" - on shiny metal, especially silver or steel, almost every edge that's reflecting light at all should go all the way to pure white at some point, even if it's just a single dot. And shadows should go all the way to black. The darkest shadows are usually adjacent to the brightest highlights.

Aside from studying pics of how bright light reflects off of various metals and various shapes, one thing I find helps me to get the highlights and shadows in the right places, since the mini itself is metal, is to shine a bright light down on the mini from above before I prime it, and make notes about where all the brightest and darkest points are on the mini, or even take a reference picture.

Obviously, not nearly as helpful when painting NMM on plastic minis, though, but you can always dig out one of your metal figures that's also wearing/holding a <whatever> and hold it under the light at the appropriate angle to check what the reflections should look like.

* The one bit that's bugging me a little bit is the dark shadow on the side of his gut... It seems like it might be creeping too far up onto the round part of it. Looking down at the mini from directly above, is it visible at all?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Very nice. The placement of colors seems pretty good*, so I'll just give the standard boilerplate "Push the contrast!" - on shiny metal, especially silver or steel, almost every edge that's reflecting light at all should go all the way to pure white at some point, even if it's just a single dot. And shadows should go all the way to black. The darkest shadows are usually adjacent to the brightest highlights.

Aside from studying pics of how bright light reflects off of various metals and various shapes, one thing I find helps me to get the highlights and shadows in the right places, since the mini itself is metal, is to shine a bright light down on the mini from above before I prime it, and make notes about where all the brightest and darkest points are on the mini, or even take a reference picture.

Obviously, not nearly as helpful when painting NMM on plastic minis, though, but you can always dig out one of your metal figures that's also wearing/holding a <whatever> and hold it under the light at the appropriate angle to check what the reflections should look like.

* The one bit that's bugging me a little bit is the dark shadow on the side of his gut... It seems like it might be creeping too far up onto the round part of it. Looking down at the mini from directly above, is it visible at all?

Thank you for your comment! I get what you mean, and I agree, next time I will try and make stronger contrast. As for the placement of the darker and lighter colors, I kinda winged it for the most part, since I didn't have any example of this mini painted in nmm or a picture of similar dwarven armor. For the next one I will definitely choose a more popular mini or some armor that I can find irl pictures online to make my task easier. ::):

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.

I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!

So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about.  The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade.  They also have abysmal detail.

They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.

They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized.  I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers.  At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.

The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there.  But they're serviceable.  They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.

More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:

Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis.  I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.

What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?

• By deathly halliwell
      Hi folks, 
      I recently painted up the dark dwarves (and Margara, dwarf shaman) as some duergar. Heavily inspired by Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic duergar streams for the skin. 
      Only one picture, but may take more if there's interest. :)

• By jonaas33
      Painted this dwarf after he inspired me to write a D&D adventure.  It's a really cool fig with plenty of neat little details.  Comments and critiques are always welcome!  Thanks in advance!

• By Mothsniper
      The way of the Dawi-kin

A goal of Acquiring every single Reaper Dwarf and painting em up.

Master check list has been put together that will be updated with time.

Any duplicate model will receive conversion using Reaper weapons.

I like my check-off lists and achievement progress icons.
      Green box indicates the mini is owned, the picture next to model indicates that is has been painted.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reaper, Dwarf Mancatcher, sku: 14463
      Made this guy a Noblemen with bright colored clothes and golden glave.

Reaper, King Axehelm of Kragmarr, 77478
      Wanted a dirty worn look on this dwarf kind, and a high contrast in color scheme of white and red.
      Made a mistake on this one using wrong type of shade that made everything glossy, had to layer addition shades of different brand to take out the gloss. turned out a bit darker than planned.

Reaper, Dwarven Brewmeister, 02559
      Quite a strait forward model to paint.
      Did not want crazy colors for this guy.

A variation of royal blue color scheme with gold patterns and closed eye lids could be interesting.

The rest of the gang. Those mugs man, are like half the size of that poor little barrel.
      Wanted grouped colors of tans and browns to create tonal contrast instead of use of intense colors.
      These are quite easy to paint, good models.

Reaper, Hagar, Dwarven Hero, 77482
      Wanted to make Hagar and Durgam Deepmug into a two brother team of green-beards.
      Just leather, iron, and green.

Reaper, Durgam Deepmug Dwarf Hero, 77400
      The green-beard brother of Hagar.
      Rangers both, with green rune weapons

Reaper, Dwarf Royal Weapomaster, 77574
      There is nothing royal about this malicious looking guy.
      Went for high contrast red/white.
      I was thinking of possible conversions, I don't know, this is not the most interesting dwarf model they have for that.

Reaper, Fulumbar, Dwarf Warrior, 77011
      Gave him axe and a shield from reaper Weapon pack III
      Usually I do not go for bright colors, yet this warrior needed some frost armor! (too much terreria of late)

Reaper, Fulumbar, Dwarf Warrior, 77011
      The original model with a bit older paint job, or battle dirt paint job ;)
      But with TrueBlood effect paint from GreenStuff

Reaper, Freja Fangbreaker , 77073
      This is one of the cooler looking models, even though was a bit hard to paint.
      Older paint job, dirty, battle weathered.
      Went with Conan the Barbarian face paint.

Reaper, Freja Fangbreaker , 77073
      Same model with Weapon Pack III axe upgrade.
      Most recent paint job, cleaner with different paint scheme of bronze and green.

• By Choppertown
      More vintage minis from my childhood.  Been soaking a dozen or so in isopropyl  for about a week to get the 40 yr old enamel paint off them.  With much scrubbing some of them came out pretty clean!  Will post as they come along, here's one of my all-time favorites. I remember when I bought him in a little attic hobby shop in Ithaca, NY. Unfortunately I don't remember the packaging.  Such a stoic little dude...any ideas?

• Who's Online   30 Members, 1 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)