Sign in to follow this  
lazarp

First time doing NMM

So this is me trying to paint non-metallic metal for the first time. The mini is one of the dwarves from thehnolog's castlecraft line. Since it is my first, I'm pretty happy with the result. I hope I'll get better at this over time. All comments and suggestions regarding NMM are welcome. Thanks for looking! :winkthumbs:

IMG_20200719_191026__01.thumb.jpg.d79e15a1f0e87dfcda4e0b81f8c20d16.jpgIMG_20200719_191046__01.thumb.jpg.cbbdcdea530710e1eda975f9db6ab65f.jpg

IMG_20200719_191112__01.thumb.jpg.2cc6588916a4cf70c635dd0047b5e65c.jpgIMG_20200719_191118__01.thumb.jpg.7f54453a190139cddb31ac2a863601ec.jpg

Edited by lazarp
  • Like 20

Very nice. The placement of colors seems pretty good*, so I'll just give the standard boilerplate "Push the contrast!" - on shiny metal, especially silver or steel, almost every edge that's reflecting light at all should go all the way to pure white at some point, even if it's just a single dot. And shadows should go all the way to black. The darkest shadows are usually adjacent to the brightest highlights.

Aside from studying pics of how bright light reflects off of various metals and various shapes, one thing I find helps me to get the highlights and shadows in the right places, since the mini itself is metal, is to shine a bright light down on the mini from above before I prime it, and make notes about where all the brightest and darkest points are on the mini, or even take a reference picture.

Obviously, not nearly as helpful when painting NMM on plastic minis, though, but you can always dig out one of your metal figures that's also wearing/holding a <whatever> and hold it under the light at the appropriate angle to check what the reflections should look like.

* The one bit that's bugging me a little bit is the dark shadow on the side of his gut... It seems like it might be creeping too far up onto the round part of it. Looking down at the mini from directly above, is it visible at all?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Very nice. The placement of colors seems pretty good*, so I'll just give the standard boilerplate "Push the contrast!" - on shiny metal, especially silver or steel, almost every edge that's reflecting light at all should go all the way to pure white at some point, even if it's just a single dot. And shadows should go all the way to black. The darkest shadows are usually adjacent to the brightest highlights.

Aside from studying pics of how bright light reflects off of various metals and various shapes, one thing I find helps me to get the highlights and shadows in the right places, since the mini itself is metal, is to shine a bright light down on the mini from above before I prime it, and make notes about where all the brightest and darkest points are on the mini, or even take a reference picture.

Obviously, not nearly as helpful when painting NMM on plastic minis, though, but you can always dig out one of your metal figures that's also wearing/holding a <whatever> and hold it under the light at the appropriate angle to check what the reflections should look like.

* The one bit that's bugging me a little bit is the dark shadow on the side of his gut... It seems like it might be creeping too far up onto the round part of it. Looking down at the mini from directly above, is it visible at all?

Thank you for your comment! I get what you mean, and I agree, next time I will try and make stronger contrast. As for the placement of the darker and lighter colors, I kinda winged it for the most part, since I didn't have any example of this mini painted in nmm or a picture of similar dwarven armor. For the next one I will definitely choose a more popular mini or some armor that I can find irl pictures online to make my task easier. ::):