Magnifiers For Painting-Recommendations?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Drunk Warduke said:

Hey Gang, Just wondering if anyone out there in Reaperland can recommend a good magnifier for painting minis. I prefer the wearable units If that helps..Thanks Guys!

Your Truly,

Blind..and still drunk..Warduke

I use this.

Lightcraft Headband Magnifier.

It works for me, under $20/€20 on most sites like the River or the Evilbay..

There is an option to apply a headband as well ( included) comes with 5 lenses.

There are several others like this.

I had a cheaper one earlier which worked for 3 years but it had a plastic headband ( uncomfortable) and that broke at one point.

Before splashing on a expensive one I would recommend this or a similar one.

image.png.4958da5cd830104dbe1c6a76a67e7b1a.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just bought some cheap high-strength reading glasses from China (+5 and +6 diopter). I think, from memory, they cost me about five or six bucks each, and I find them more comfortable to wear for long periods than my optivisor.

The only down-side to them is that they have no directional lights mounted on them. I guess I could jury-rig something, but I haven't found the need yet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MojoBob said:

I just bought some cheap high-strength reading glasses from China (+5 and +6 diopter). I think, from memory, they cost me about five or six bucks each, and I find them more comfortable to wear for long periods than my optivisor.

That should work well for people who don’t wear glasses (or possibly with relatively simple even prescriptions).  I do, so wearing the Optivisor over them is easier...

• Like 4

On 7/21/2020 at 4:12 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I use this.

Lightcraft Headband Magnifier.

It works for me, under $20/€20 on most sites like the River or the Evilbay..

There is an option to apply a headband as well ( included) comes with 5 lenses.

There are several others like this.

I had a cheaper one earlier which worked for 3 years but it had a plastic headband ( uncomfortable) and that broke at one point.

Before splashing on a expensive one I would recommend this or a similar one.

image.png.4958da5cd830104dbe1c6a76a67e7b1a.png

I have one of these too.  I like it for the magnification but I find that it hurt after wearing it for a long time.  I find myself going back to one of those lens lamps.  You know, the kind with the ring of LEDs around the outside that's on an adjustable arm.  It might be the fact that I already wear glasses making me have to wear it odd.

I should try an optivisor, I think those wrap around glasses.

• Like 3

• Artists

If you don't wear glasses, I would start with basic reading glasses from the drugstore. They're cheap and you can try them on. (Or at least in the beforetimes you could try them on, maybe not a great plan now.)

I will second the recommendation for OptiVisor. It's also worth noting they have two styles now. The classic OptiVisor and the OptiSight. The OptiSight is lighter and more comfortable to wear.

The OptiSight is similar to a product called MagEyes. The main difference is the length of the arms holding the lenses. MagEyes holds the lenses a little further from your eyes so you don't have hold items so close to your face to see them. This construction also works well with how bifocals are made. If you do need glasses at some point you'll need bifocals, which put the near vision focus lens at the bottom of your glasses. The Opti products have you looking more out of the middle or top of your eye line view.

I had used a classic OptiVisor for some years before I got a MagEyes and I never could get used to using the MagEyes instead. So I don't know whether it'd be true to say that the Opti products are better made in some way and work better for having a bit more range of the focal point, or if it's just that I am too used to the Opti style system to change. I did have some regrets about that when I started wearing bifocals. There are photographers who use OptiVisors who've had special bifocals made for their work where the near vision correction is at the top of their glasses lenses. I'd love to do that, but my glasses cost way too much to get a specialty pair made. :-<

All of the products I mentioned have multiple strengths of lenses so you can swap out. You might need only a little magnification for most tasks, and enjoy the higher magnification for details. The higher the magnification, the closer you have to put the item to the lens to see it. (True whether you're talking reading glasses or one of these specialty items.)

I bought an off-brand of visor once. It was Cinderella's visor and I spent years trying to find a person who could use it without their eyes going squirrely...

• Like 7

I got a pair of mageyes for Christmas 2 years ago and love them. It came with 3 lenses. When doing tiny detail work I use the 5x lens, never used the other ones. For reg painting I just use a cheap pair of eyeglasses that are a bit more than what I use for reading. The nice thing about mageyes is that I use them while wearing the eyeglasses and flip them down when needed. Otherwise I flip the lens up out of the way. I don’t have any issues with them being uncomfortable on my head.

16 hours ago, Crissair said:

I got a pair of mageyes for Christmas 2 years ago and love them. It came with 3 lenses. When doing tiny detail work I use the 5x lens, never used the other ones. For reg painting I just use a cheap pair of eyeglasses that are a bit more than what I use for reading. The nice thing about mageyes is that I use them while wearing the eyeglasses and flip them down when needed. Otherwise I flip the lens up out of the way. I don’t have any issues with them being uncomfortable on my head.

I'm curious.

How close do you have to hold the miniature to your face with 5x magnification?

I know MagEyes are a different design., but with my 2.25x OptiVisor, it's already pretty close.

• Like 1