Sign in to follow this  
Darcstaar

Darcstaar vs. Bones I: Ep. 9 Yephima

Brought some painting models for vacation.  Finished the Hell Hound last night, didn’t WIP it.

Had Yephima on my shelf of shame for a long time.  If it ends up 1/100 as good as the studio version I’ll be happy.  Plan on light blue skin and silvery hair, like the Bestiaries suggest.  Other than that, not sure...

4E6D7B81-0C47-41FA-AF84-B2E0BCC58D91.jpeg.1e18712a1c2eff24dcce09c099037803.jpeg

Here she is primed with Brown Liner.  That’s gonna take some work to get the skin tones brighter.

• Like 11

She's a great mini, I'm still too intimidated by the studio version to start on her.

• Like 1

Gotta just take the plunge...

F729DF1C-02E5-4B60-BF84-936910174640.jpeg.67fe654ceb1b1c952ec98b402896ee85.jpeg

Lining with Nightshade Purple.  Noticed I missed left foot, so fixed that.  She has relatively small eyes for a giant.  Was hoping to get colored irises in there.  We’ll see.  May add some more Nightshade around the eyes to help it out.

• Like 11

A few tries on the eyes yielded this.

Nightshade Purple lining and pupil, Linen White sclera, Clear Phthalo Green Iris, with lighter area mix with Dungeon Slime, and a glint of Solid White on the right eye.  Couldn’t get the paint to come off the brush right on the left, so gave up and said “meh, shaded by hair anyway.”  I touched up one more time after this to fix the extra whitish dot lateral to the iris.

B75176DB-9669-4DC7-A93D-4A47FDA4F50E.thumb.jpeg.752b718c460c55127e4d1c921c2f4602.jpeg

• Like 9

C6A9B154-1B39-49ED-9120-B302BD12F684.jpeg.1346a06a73ccf226948a3a2c3e068c56.jpeg

Yikes!  She’s about to go to bed, and has her masque on...

When I put the first brushful of Frosty Blue on, it looked like pure white.  After I got it on most of her face, it looks more blue.  I’m bad at figuring out highlights and shadows on faces, so this will be tough for me.  The paint is very grainy when I thinned it with a little water.  I will try to finish the whole face as proof of concept for my colors before moving on the the rest of her skin.

• Like 8

EA2F86F3-09BE-4A43-9770-F1D833C2E0DD.jpeg.e1f64851b96af8efb084ab40460e09d1.jpeg

Ok.  Solid White where I think light is brightest.  Looks very stark.  I checked the pic of the studio version, and it seems my “shadow coat” of Ice Blue May be too dark.  There is not a whole lot of contrast in the skin tones of the studio version.  So, I’m going to have to glaze a lot with a mix of Ice Blue and Frosty Blue and see what happens.  Hopefully it helps the chalkiness.

• Like 8

First a glaze of 1:1.

1686B22F-B03A-4C49-A416-C1E3578068CF.jpeg.824489e3007258b629d697ba407ec2c8.jpeg

Smoother for sure.  Lost a lot of contrast, as I glazed over a lot of the brightest areas too.  Still too blue, but doesn’t look like Joker anymore, so that’s good.  I may try a little lighter mix as the “basecoat” before reestablishing highlights, but wifey wants me to go get her food, so hope to pick it up again tonight.  I just keep reminding myself “cloud giant” not “frost giant.”

Edit-Please advise, do you think I should just repaint the Ice Blue parts Frosty Blue and blend up to white?  I could always glaze in a blue-Grey for more shadows?!?

• Like 8

I think she needs to go lighter in blue, more white since she IS a Cloud Giant.

• Like 1

So the studio paint job pulled off a clever trick...

77162_p_1_mj.jpg.ff31cb52a8f5bc5869fd30c285cdd95d.jpg

Look at the color of the skin, and compare it to the gems and shoulder pauldrons. The skin really isn't as blue as we might think...it falls under a very highly tinted and desaturated Cyan with a Green-leaning bias. This allows for adding in true cool blue elements, such as the lips, shadow tones, and armor bits. Here is a color picker on the highlight section of her skin.

Highlights.PNG.b3bcceaf8e89513a421912bd32878714.PNG

...and here is a color picker on a shadowed skin section...

Shadow.PNG.1d55e40aef2875bab824b5b5d2ef0346.PNG

Now obviously you don't have to direct-copy the studio art, but I just wanted to point out the subtle trick of "colors in context" - the skin isn't really as blue as we would think. Just something to think about as you experiment around!

• Like 5

Thanks for that.  It’s very thought provoking.  Almost like a mix of Ashen Blue and Ghost White, with Ashen Blue glazed shadows.  I might try adding some green and taking the Wolf’s advice to go lighter.  I wonder if the gem color is the skin shadow color.

• Like 3

Looking at what I have on hand, I will try to mix Maggot White and Frosty Blue as a base coat, and work it up with white.  Shadows will probably be glazes of a blue-Grey.

• Like 5