Brought some painting models for vacation.  Finished the Hell Hound last night, didn’t WIP it.

Had Yephima on my shelf of shame for a long time.  If it ends up 1/100 as good as the studio version I’ll be happy.  Plan on light blue skin and silvery hair, like the Bestiaries suggest.  Other than that, not sure...

4E6D7B81-0C47-41FA-AF84-B2E0BCC58D91.jpeg.1e18712a1c2eff24dcce09c099037803.jpeg

Here she is primed with Brown Liner.  That’s gonna take some work to get the skin tones brighter.

• Like 11
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta just take the plunge...

F729DF1C-02E5-4B60-BF84-936910174640.jpeg.67fe654ceb1b1c952ec98b402896ee85.jpeg

Lining with Nightshade Purple.  Noticed I missed left foot, so fixed that.  She has relatively small eyes for a giant.  Was hoping to get colored irises in there.  We’ll see.  May add some more Nightshade around the eyes to help it out.

• Like 11

A few tries on the eyes yielded this.

Nightshade Purple lining and pupil, Linen White sclera, Clear Phthalo Green Iris, with lighter area mix with Dungeon Slime, and a glint of Solid White on the right eye.  Couldn’t get the paint to come off the brush right on the left, so gave up and said “meh, shaded by hair anyway.”  I touched up one more time after this to fix the extra whitish dot lateral to the iris.

B75176DB-9669-4DC7-A93D-4A47FDA4F50E.thumb.jpeg.752b718c460c55127e4d1c921c2f4602.jpeg

• Like 9

C6A9B154-1B39-49ED-9120-B302BD12F684.jpeg.1346a06a73ccf226948a3a2c3e068c56.jpeg

Yikes!  She’s about to go to bed, and has her masque on...

When I put the first brushful of Frosty Blue on, it looked like pure white.  After I got it on most of her face, it looks more blue.  I’m bad at figuring out highlights and shadows on faces, so this will be tough for me.  The paint is very grainy when I thinned it with a little water.  I will try to finish the whole face as proof of concept for my colors before moving on the the rest of her skin.

• Like 8

EA2F86F3-09BE-4A43-9770-F1D833C2E0DD.jpeg.e1f64851b96af8efb084ab40460e09d1.jpeg

Ok.  Solid White where I think light is brightest.  Looks very stark.  I checked the pic of the studio version, and it seems my “shadow coat” of Ice Blue May be too dark.  There is not a whole lot of contrast in the skin tones of the studio version.  So, I’m going to have to glaze a lot with a mix of Ice Blue and Frosty Blue and see what happens.  Hopefully it helps the chalkiness.

• Like 8

First a glaze of 1:1.

1686B22F-B03A-4C49-A416-C1E3578068CF.jpeg.824489e3007258b629d697ba407ec2c8.jpeg

Smoother for sure.  Lost a lot of contrast, as I glazed over a lot of the brightest areas too.  Still too blue, but doesn’t look like Joker anymore, so that’s good.  I may try a little lighter mix as the “basecoat” before reestablishing highlights, but wifey wants me to go get her food, so hope to pick it up again tonight.  I just keep reminding myself “cloud giant” not “frost giant.”

Edit-Please advise, do you think I should just repaint the Ice Blue parts Frosty Blue and blend up to white?  I could always glaze in a blue-Grey for more shadows?!?

• Like 8

So the studio paint job pulled off a clever trick...

77162_p_1_mj.jpg.ff31cb52a8f5bc5869fd30c285cdd95d.jpg

Look at the color of the skin, and compare it to the gems and shoulder pauldrons. The skin really isn't as blue as we might think...it falls under a very highly tinted and desaturated Cyan with a Green-leaning bias. This allows for adding in true cool blue elements, such as the lips, shadow tones, and armor bits. Here is a color picker on the highlight section of her skin.

Highlights.PNG.b3bcceaf8e89513a421912bd32878714.PNG

...and here is a color picker on a shadowed skin section...

Shadow.PNG.1d55e40aef2875bab824b5b5d2ef0346.PNG

Now obviously you don't have to direct-copy the studio art, but I just wanted to point out the subtle trick of "colors in context" - the skin isn't really as blue as we would think. Just something to think about as you experiment around!

• Like 6

Thanks for that.  It’s very thought provoking.  Almost like a mix of Ashen Blue and Ghost White, with Ashen Blue glazed shadows.  I might try adding some green and taking the Wolf’s advice to go lighter.  I wonder if the gem color is the skin shadow color.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Coffee Nerdery Beer
      Hi there all, I've decided to dive into the deep end with finally trying the scary world of OSL. 😄

Feel I've lost the plot on this ... so any advice on how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated! (Having fun, though, despite not knowing what the hell I'm doing. 😁)

I'm including a "top down" view, which is where I'm most confuddled. That dark line down his arm which represents the shadow from the staff which sits between the source of light ... it just doesn't look right to me.  🤔

So, I'm all ears for suggestions on improvements!

• By Inarah
      Venomous Flowers by PrintYourMonsters.  These are 3d resin prints.  Of course, they might also be only harmless spring flowers on some sci-fi world. 

The smallest one is a bit over 1" across, the largest is taller than a humanoid figure.  Overall I've been very happy with the Plants and Rocks files. 

• By Darcstaar
      I only saw one thread about crackle paste when I searched these forums.

So, I’m going to share how it’s going for me.

I started with washed and dried 1” and 2” Reaper Bases.

I put this garbage on a 2 inch base first.

Don’t buy it.  I got it at Hobby Lobby at the time because they were out of Folk Art.

To be clear, this is Crackle Medium.
      It is meant to be painted on a primed or rough surface I guess, and painted thin. I put it on kind of thick.  It didn’t crackle at all!

So, I got a tub of this stuff on Amazon.

The directions state “put over a thin layer of PVA glue.”  Pfft, who has time for that extra step?

Here is the result on a washed but otherwise un prepped set of bases.

1 inch

2 inch.

Lousy!
      So, the surface needs something for crackle paste to work right.

This is a 1” base with a thin layer of PVA glue.

This is a 1” base with just hitting it with 220 grit sandpaper and washing it again.

I also used the 2” base with dried crackle medium on it.  Not pictured.

This is a 2” base covered in black brush on primer.

Here is the result on the 2” base over dried crackle medium.  It was hard to get the stuff into a uniform layer, as the medium created a very hydrophobic surface, so the paste slides around too easy.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Been a minute since I've posted a WIP, so I figure I'd roughly document my current paintjob.

I'm running a 5e game with a heavy focus on the Shadowfell, and our most recent addition to the party is a native of that realm - a Hexblood or "Hexen" in our game lore. These dark fey are the children of hags - The Mothers Three - and are made from earth, blood, and stolen souls.

Going for a dark but vibrant paintjob - blue skin, and dark clothing.

After priming, I like to block in my darkest colors. It makes it easier for me to avoid missing a hard-to-reach spot later, but without worrying too much if I get some paint where it's not supposed to be.  This method also helps me to visualize and plan out my colors better.

I was instructed to paint her with blue skin, black hair, and dark clothing. I started with the skin. I based with Rich Indigo and plan on working up towards Surf Aqua.  I'm hoping this transition from a more purple-hue in the shadows to a bit of green in the highlight will look interesting, as well as kind of capture the overall color scheme.

I chose a few other colors to sort of represent that scheme and stippled them over the base - Rich Indigo, Deep Ocean, and Carnival Purple. I eventually want the base to look like rocky terrain, but wanted to avoid neutral greys.

Pure Black for the hair and then set about base coating the rest of the mini.

I wanted to avoid all-black or shades of grey in her outfit so dark greens and purples will be used to keep things more colorful. The tattered robes got a mix of Pure Black and Deep Ocean. The fabric wraps are Dark Elf Shadow - hoping to keep the purpleish greys.

I also slapped some Deep Ocean on the gemstone on her staff for a pop of color - will reuse this for other gemstone details.

The base got washed in Pure Black - will play around with some drybrushing later. Metal details also got hit with pure black to work up to some NMM silver.

Settled on Ashen Brown for the bone details. The slightly cooler purple hue should help the bones blend in with the rest of the mini.
      Also hoping to use the Ashen Brown to highlight the hair without it looking grey.

Not much to see so far - just some quick basecoating before work this morning. Hoping she turns out as I'm picturing and not just a garish blob.

Side note - this sculpt is one of those earlier Bones sculpts that are quite difficult to pick out details.  I'm inevitably going to paint over some random blob and not notice until later.
    • By Pancakeonions
      Got my Reaper Bones V goodies a bit ago, and slapped some paints onto the Pumkinhead beholder.  I used Citadel Wraithbone primer, contrast paints, and Army Painter Matte varnish and...  months later it remains slightly tacky.  It's not...  awful.  But it's enough that if I put it away in a box with other minis, I'm afraid it won't mix well.  I've left it out in the sun for a day, thinking that might 'bake' the stickiness out of it...  It did not.  

I got Reaper Bones because I figured I could paint, varnish and throw into a box with all my prepainted minis.  Some of my older bones remain slightly tacky too.  But I figured that with this new round of Reaper Bones, they would have got that figured out.  I've painted up the undead giant, but not yet varnished him and I'm afraid to!

I've read the various Reaper Bones help threads, many of which are very old (and one sent me to Facebook, though it looks like it's no longer available.  I don't do social media anymore, so not sure?). 

Does anyone have any advice to help a guy out?  I'm pretty sure I shook my rattlecan varnish adequately.  I do live in western San Francisco and wonder if the humidity (fog, it's often cool and misty regardless of the season) may affect this.  I try to wait until the weather is clear.

What are you doing to keep your Bones stickiness-free?  Any advice you might have would be helpful.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)