Sign in to follow this  
Shadespyre

14447 Sister of the Blade Archer - WIP / colour help please!

Not seen many painted examples of this mini, which is odd because I love the pose and demeanour of her. I've sketched in the basic colours but it's not really speaking to me at this point. I think I could do something with tweaking some shades and maybe introducing a spot colour to lift it. I can't decide how to paint the tassles, for example. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears - which reminds me, I added big elfy ears to the model, should it look odd to anyone. I'd love to see anyone else's version of this mini, too.

115879865_929632870874645_15208849891686110771560_929632877541311_42767581252350

• Like 5

You have yellow and blue, primary colors, so your third(accent) color would be a red.  Red on the quiver, her belt pouch and lips perhaps.  I think once you get shadows and highlights on the armor and her hair there will be a lot more interest and texture.  She is looking down, but your base is not very interesting. Do you have plans for that? 

• Like 2

It hadn't really occured to me that the armour is yellow (it's Citadel Zandri Dust) but you're right. So maybe swap out the cold purple for a  warm red or red-brown?

As for the base, it's for a D&D character so I was just going for stone dungeon floor. It'll be more interesting than just flat grey, but I hadn't got any specific plans.

• Like 2

Hair colour is pretty much the only thing already fixed by the player! :)

I've switched the purple bits to a dark red, painted the potion bottle on her belt bright red and the arrow flights red and white. She already looks much better balanced, thanks for your input! I can push on for a bit now and come back with an update soon.

I'd still love to see other painted versions of this mini, though

Edited by Shadespyre
  • Like 1

Update - warmer / redder colour palette and a soft brown wash to pull it all together. Not 100% sure of the scarlet arrow flights or the hair-matching tassles, but much happier than I was

111149342_931242890713643_45161407115877110491482_931242894046976_30057166230891

• Like 8

Some dark lining between the feathers on the arrows will help I think.  Mix a bit of the darker red with the flesh tone to get a natural lip color that coordinates. 

• Like 1

A little green wash on the arrow's feathers in the quiver would enhance their look.

Put a dark wash on the feathers, and they do look a bit less glaring. Green is an interesting idea!

I've tried picking the tassels up with a bit of white, it separated them from the hair but also introduces a new colour from nowhere. I'm thinking a purer yellow than the hair, or maybe a pale blue?

• Like 1

Latest adjustments. Comments welcome, I think I'm nearly there. Is it lazy to not paint her eyes? They are barely visible even if you peer under her fringe...

Main changes are a whole bunch of highlights; tidying up the base and adding the mushrooms; subtle pattern on the cloth (it's untidy but that doesn't really show at normal size);  

116323660_933337113837554_69417620035639116375385_933337103837555_70386424530684

• Like 6

Late to the party, was going to suggest that you make the fringe on her cloth thing the same red as the fletching on the arrows, to balance the red from top to bottom through the whole miniature, but since you've added the mushrooms as the same color it works just as well.

Only thing that leaps out to me is the grey at the top of the glass on the potion bottle of her hip. Glass is transparent enough to be able to see roughly the color of what would be behind it (unless it was glass on a lamp or illuminated somehow, but that isn't the case here with the potion). The area of her hip behind that bottle would be in shadow, so the glass wouldn't be that grey, it'd be a much darker shade. Not necessarily pure black (it could be, depending on how much shadow is there), but a much darker tone than what you have. It's the only color imbalance you have, since that grey isn't anywhere else on the model (excluding the grey on the base). Here's a nice tutorial on how to paint liquids in glass bottles (not suggesting you need to redo the entire bottle, just something to keep in mind for the next figure... and don't get confused in that video about 2 brush blending he mentions - you can use whatever method you want). Kudos on getting the liquid to line up horizontal to the floor in a tilted bottle though.

Otherwise, she's good to game, even as is. And no, I don't think it's lazy to skip her eyes. Maybe she's looking down, eyes closed, to calm down her adrenaline post-fight, or to focus before a big shot? It's your story to tell!

Edited by ManvsMini
grammar, typos
  • Like 3

Thanks for picking me up on the things that matter! I used that pale grey "shorthand" for glass on other models and it looks fine, but here it really draws the eye and doesn't make much sense when you look at it closely.

I'm hoping this is pretty much the final edit. I want to add a (printed) nameplate to the base, I think, and the whole thing needs a couple of spot touch ups and some varnish.I'll come back with the final version at the weekend, I hope.

116435074_934056350432297_15721015268427 

This is actually a surprise for a friend of mine playing their first D&D campaign, I quite fancy having a go at the other three player characters - half orc barbarian, gnome druid and dragonman monk (in approximate order of difficulty of finding miniatures!) 

• Like 5

Looks really good. Hope to see more if you have a go at the other three players' characters. Few things in this hobby are more satisfying than giving a first-time player their own character mini, in my experience, really tends to hook them.

2 hours ago, Shadespyre said:

Thanks for picking me up on the things that matter! I used that pale grey "shorthand" for glass on other models and it looks fine, but here it really draws the eye and doesn't make much sense when you look at it closely.

Yep, you hit the reasoning right on the head; it immediately drew my eye's attention. The pale grey might work better if it had been in a location where the glass got a lot more light (like if it was in a bandolier slung across her back, and she was bending over), I might even go a bit paler in that case. You fixed it really nice though, the entire model looks unified.

2 hours ago, Shadespyre said:

half orc barbarian, gnome druid and dragonman monk

Reaper definitely has minis that work for the first two (in metal and in Bones), but the dragonman monk might be harder to do... any good or have you ever tried converting a figure?

EDIT: Or maybe not... literally just typed in "dragonman monk" into the store search bar and this guy came up. Not sure if it fits what you're looking for (or how easy it is to get in the UK).

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 1