3D printing - Which printer, why, and should I even?

I love my Elegoo Mars (Resin) enough that I pre-ordered a bigger version that is due out late this summer.  Initial set-up included unpacking, leveling the build plate and hitting "go!" on the test files included with the machine.  After a successful first couple prints I had weeks of failures, but I dialed in my settings and process and have been happy since, even with the odd failure. 

While I have gone a bit overboard on buying files for more minis, I've also dug up a lot of free ones.  I print for general fun (started printing and painting busts) and for the gaming table (small terrain/objectives for 40K and lots of monsters, minis and set pieces for D&D). 

Lately, I have started playing with tweaking some pieces (I made my own bases using Windows 3D tool to house batteries and switches for LEDs) and I'm working on designing my own shoulder pads for my 40K Marines. 

I have tons of unpainted Bones minis and others from various companies but being able to print off our character minis from Hero Forge has really excited my buddies and being able to drop in Orcus on the table (found several free versions online) instead of a random Bones mini and saying "Hey, this is Orcus" was worth the excitement, and we used to use skittles and extra dice on the carpet floor to "map out" the goings on in our RPG adventures over 20 years ago, so we've come a long way. 

So, do you need a 3D printer, probably no.  Are they fun, yes.  And you get to learn about a new technology along the way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Rahz said:

I love my Elegoo Mars (Resin) enough that I pre-ordered a bigger version that is due out late this summer.  Initial set-up included unpacking, leveling the build plate and hitting "go!" on the test files included with the machine.  After a successful first couple prints I had weeks of failures, but I dialed in my settings and process and have been happy since, even with the odd failure. 

While I have gone a bit overboard on buying files for more minis, I've also dug up a lot of free ones.  I print for general fun (started printing and painting busts) and for the gaming table (small terrain/objectives for 40K and lots of monsters, minis and set pieces for D&D). 

Lately, I have started playing with tweaking some pieces (I made my own bases using Windows 3D tool to house batteries and switches for LEDs) and I'm working on designing my own shoulder pads for my 40K Marines. 

I have tons of unpainted Bones minis and others from various companies but being able to print off our character minis from Hero Forge has really excited my buddies and being able to drop in Orcus on the table (found several free versions online) instead of a random Bones mini and saying "Hey, this is Orcus" was worth the excitement, and we used to use skittles and extra dice on the carpet floor to "map out" the goings on in our RPG adventures over 20 years ago, so we've come a long way. 

So, do you need a 3D printer, probably no.  Are they fun, yes.  And you get to learn about a new technology along the way. 

Thanks for the advice, @Rahz!

I'm finding myself getting closer and closer to a decision, so this is good stuff to keep in mind!

• Like 5