Hi all - haven't posted a pic in a long time.... here is the Dire Bear from  Bones IV (I think) - one of my players now has bear form abilities - we call this her aspirational bear (currently just a brown bear as the player)- I thought it turned out not too bad for 4-5hrs - lots better than a white piece of plastic for the table! Pics are super lazy white paper and smartphone on my painting table.

77494DireBear_Back.JPG

77494DireBearFront.JPG

77494DireBearright.JPG

• Like 21
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, great brown tones on the fur. Looks very naturalistic. I think claw and fangs would benefit from a controlled wash to enhance definition and contrast.

I also enjoy the base. I think all it needs is a pinch of Rooibos tea to give the impression of fallen leaves. 

On 7/23/2020 at 5:30 AM, Peithetairos said:

Very nice, great brown tones on the fur. Looks very naturalistic. I think claw and fangs would benefit from a controlled wash to enhance definition and contrast.

I also enjoy the base. I think all it needs is a pinch of Rooibos tea to give the impression of fallen leaves. 

Great point on the claws- it did help and was a quick enhancement... I made them a bit shiny too with a touch of gloss. Some day I may even give the base some love as you suggest

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      Things are a little more laid back this year.  I don't have a big pile of figures ready and I'm not trying for a better record than last year (there wasn't one in 2020 so it wouldn't be hard).  Just painting what comes along and listening to it rain. 

Friday I finished Bolo Shanga : 

And Saturday saw this little guy done(townsfolk nerd): 

More to come!

• By Shadespyre
      A pair of Bones bears (or the bear Bones, if you like)

I tried to paint these from pictures of real-life grizzly bears. Every time I paint an animal it ends up with a chaotic riot of washes and highlights in different colours until it looks enough like the source images to satisfy me. I doubt if I could paint another one and get the same colour! The coat of the Dire bear is much coarser, which really shows in the photo (like the fine moulding line on the Cave Bear's face) but is less bothersome in more natural light.

I painted these as companions to my Stone Giant tribe, and you can see the frankly ridiculous diorama I built over here...

Stone Giant Tribe

• By canuckotter
      Been spending a lot of time fighting brain weasels lately, and mostly losing, but the ever-wonderful @malefactus gave me the ammunition needed to give myself a break today. So it seemed fitting to start something brightly coloured and a little ludicrous. I bring you the mostly base coated Mrs Bones!

The goal is to make the whole thing as blindingly vibrant as I can. Still going to do highlighting and shading and such to bring out more character, but this should give you an idea of what I'm aiming for. 
    • By Glitterwolf
      This is the Bones Dire Bear Sku 77494.
      I painted him for my Horde of the North project
      WIP:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79398-horde-of-the-north-glitterwolf-paints-barbarians-and-mammoths/

• By Kro
      Thanks for taking a look! Any advice/comments/criticism is welcome!

Hi all, I've recently started painting some of my minis (finally) and also got some friends to help. Below I'll show everything thats been done so far, before likely making a showoff thread for the done done ones (some are aaalmost there, need a few more touches.

My Work: (2nd mini ever):
      77503 Temple Dragon : - I wanted to do some complimentary color on him but couldn't quite decide where. First thought was underbelly and underside of wings, but glued together the underbelly is incredibly hard to paint. I was also considering the larger left and right spines down the  middle and/or maybe just the bones/claws that extend from the wings(bone color?)
      He seems to photograph better than he looks in standard light, hes a bit dark, so without lighting for taking a picture distinguishing much on him is not all that easy.

77506 Kobolds (6): (3rd mini ever) I am trying to somewhat emulate the Kobolds painted on the Bones 4 page ( https://www.reapermini.com/bones4 )
      Just starting on them, got a darker skin tone and tried dry brushing over with a lighter, but its hard to keep it localized on such a tiny mini. Painting these seems like it's going to get more frustrating than it is rewarding.. :/
      Trying to do linen white for the cloth with maybe a sepia wash over it, then steel for the armor with a black wash

Friend 1's WIPs: (He's painted minis before)
      77492 Behir: I think he's planning on touching up the mouth area

77494 Dire Bear:  I think he wants to differentiate the fur a little more, it's a bit too uniform

77496 Eilluvasheth, Succubus Queen - Wings look great - I think he's not sure how exactly to translate the color scheme/design to the body

Friend 2's (new to painting, first minis):
      Adventurescapes Barrels and Chest:

77382: Vernone, Ivy Crown Knight (Second Mini)

77498 Werearmadillo (3rd mini)

Friend 3: (has painted some in past)
      80046: Gray Alien Warriors

77493 Brain In a Jar : Needs to paint the bottom clear plastic piece the same metal as the rest of it

Thanks for taking a look! Any advice/comments/criticism is welcome!

Ignore these -- Too many attachments, can't seem to figure out which ones to delete

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)