Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Against the Goblins (Sword & Wizardry) pbp

Well our Govnah dropped us back down to a modified Phase 1 which means, no more rpg gaming at my FLGS (ie my weekly game). Looking to do a S&W pbp post game using whatever adventure I can find. Apparently, there was some confusion by my store, the local newspaper, local govt officials, etc etc in regards to a shut down (of games). My FLGS owner is looking into getting a all-clear signal, so we may proceed with gaming at the store again. I'm still gonna keep this one going, as I really wanna do some S&W pbp gaming again on here.

Post here if your interested. Most likely around 4 to 6 people for this.

Ok now that I've got something going, I felt like I needed to edit this post in regards to the game:

Adventure

Against the Goblins by Matthew E Kline

Character Creation:

Books allowed:

Sword & Wizardry Complete (the blue & white Erol Otus cover version. It's free, just look for it on drivethrurpg)

Sword & Wizardy Player's Companion by Gallant Knight Games (it's relatively cheap, like 3 bucks on drivethrurpg)

Notes: We will not use the 2 new attributes. Extra ability for each Core book class, is allowed.Races in this book. No dark elf.

Buccaneers & Bilge Rats (not really neccassary, but I like having more option for S&W. Again cheap at around 3 bucks on drivethrurpg)

Notes: All classes allowed, races: No Dagonite No firearms or artillery

Character Creation:

Level:1

Stats: 4d6 drop the lowest

HP: Max HD +/- Con bonus

Gear/gold: Roll your gold 3d6 x 10 but with a min of 90 gp

World: Eh, whatever world the adventure is in. It's a generic, easily dropped into a existing world, but since I really don't have one right now we'll just use whatever they have. Standard book race relations unless noted.

• Like 1

Also, there is a book out there that I'll allow use as well.

Player's Companion by Gallant Knight Games. If you don't have the pdf, it's on sale for 2.24 on drivethrurpg. Thou, only till the end of July.

138872-thumb140.jpg

Excellent book, really adds allot to the game:

With the Player's Companion for Swords & Wizardry (and other old-school fantasy role-playing games), you're never out of options. This 35 page supplement offers new optional rules to expand your Swords & Wizardry campaign!

Expanded attribute limits which allow for player characters to go beyond the limits of mere mortals

Two new optional Attributes: Appearance & Luck

New class abilities for every class featured in the Swords & Wizardry Complete rulebook

Two new classes: The dark Anti-Paladin and the learned Bard

Three new non-human player character races: the deadly dark elf, whimsical gnome and brutal half-orc

Optional attribute modifiers for non-human characters

Eleven new weapons

Five new types of armor

Two new shields

Thirty-five new magic items 

Also, I'll allow most of the classes that Gallant Knight Games (Barrel Rider Games) has made as "aftermarket" class booklets, like the swashbuckler, bandit, barbarian, etc etc. I've purchased quite a few of them & I really like them.

If your interested in the game but don't have the S&W rules set, these are free on drivethrurpg as well. It needs to be the one with the Erol Otus blue cover please:

86546-thumb140.jpg

I've also decided on what adventure to run for this. While browsing drivethrurpg tonight I came across the following: Against the Goblins by Creation's Edge Games:

150651-thumb140.jpg

It says 4 to 6 players, so we are halfway there to starting this one up!

given the opportunity, I have a question:  I did not see a Bard level cap in the rules for Half-Elves, is there one?  considering a bard or thief for this run...  Monk could be also tempting but given my recent good luck on character rolls, i might have to default to Joe the fighter... you know the guy who puts tying his shoes on his CV :poke:

and are you using the attribute requirements for classes?

I'd rather you make a character that you want to play, so no attribute requirements. Also, half-elf, I don't see one, so no level limit.

Cool,  some of the more interesting and memorable characters I have played are the ones with weaknesses.  I think I will try the bard.  Are we doing luck and attractiveness?

I'm gonna say no, due to it's the Player's Comp & I'm not requiring that book.

Okay, thanks but the bard is okay as a character class?  probably looking at the half elf bard as a character, if that works

If you have the Player's Companion, then feel free to take whatever classes & races that are in that book. The 2 new stats, don't worry about those as that is a item that would affect everyone.

Welcome aboard @BadgersinMeadows!!

Just curious, would the pirate from Buccaneers & Bilge Rats be available for play? Not sure if I would want to but just thought I would ask.

20 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Just curious, would the pirate from Buccaneers & Bilge Rats be available for play? Not sure if I would want to but just thought I would ask.

Gallant Knight Games is the maker so I have no problem with that one. I have the pirate class he did, so I'm curious if they are the same thing.

I bought all of these back in the day for my Mouseling:Village of Hommlet adventure. So the "starter" set of Mouselings got classes I thought matched the mini.

25 minutes ago, haldir said:

Gallant Knight Games is the maker so I have no problem with that one. I have the pirate class he did, so I'm curious if they are the same thing.

I bought all of these back in the day for my Mouseling:Village of Hommlet adventure. So the "starter" set of Mouselings got classes I thought matched the mini.

I took a look at the pirate in the Buc and bilge rats and the one that is in the class comp, there are differences, and not enough to make play that overbalanced. I know James (Founder of Barrel Rider Games)wrote both of those, but I am not sure of hes reasons for the differences, other than one is for Labyrinth Lord and the other is for S&W. James and I both wrote a couple of articles for the Brave the Labyrinth ezine. I am not sure why James to switch from from LL to S&W, but he did. Most of what he wrote I would consider more or less interchangeable. I am not the best of friends with James, but we do talk to each other once in a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I took a look at the pirate in the Buc and bilge rats and the one that is in the class comp, there are differences, and not enough to make play that overbalanced. I know James (Founder of Barrel Rider Games)wrote both of those, but I am not sure of hes reasons for the differences, other than one is for Labyrinth Lord and the other is for S&W. James and I both wrote a couple of articles for the Brave the Labyrinth ezine. I am not sure why James to switch from from LL to S&W, but he did. Most of what he wrote I would consider more or less interchangeable. I am not the best of friends with James, but we do talk to each other once in a while. 

I found a Theros (sp, the new MTG setting now a 5e hardback) adventure after I bought some stl files off drivethrurpg today. I'll add B&BR to my order tomorrow. So go ahead & use that pirate if you want. I will say, I'm not exactly sure if there will be any ops for a pirate in traditional sense in that Against the Goblins adventure, but again, feel free to make him up anyways.