Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Look at this cute fellow! But don't look directly at his eyes. Too late? Uh-oh, I'm sorry if you just turned to stone.
Anyway ... this is the Basilisk, #77371 in Bones.
The color scheme is inspired by the iridescent plumage of a bird, the White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi). My folders of saved wildlife references include a photo of an ibis whose wing has golden, green, and orangey-pink metallic tones, and its head is more purplish-pink.
I clipped away part of the integral base and built up this rocky base with putty.
I added bits of two metal figures as the basilisk's petrified victims: the head is one of the 3 options for the Death Warden (Dark Heaven 03083), and the leg is from my Dwarf Shieldmaiden (Warlord 14379). I imagine that the basilisk ate the rest of those 'statues' and left these for later snacking.
The grass is a preformed "Winter Tuft" product (dull yellow-green and black) with painted highlights, and the leaves are dried oregano, fully painted.
I had used this basilisk as a demonstration figure at ReaperCon 2019 ... or maybe 2018 ... in my "Painting Fur, Feathers, and Scales" class.
It was all dark green, with just the front right shoulder area painted with highlights simulating smooth shiny scales.
It sat on my shelf since then. I wanted to paint something small and relatively simple, so I mentally kicked around a few color schemes without conclusion until I rediscovered the image of the ibis last week.
I spent a couple of hours wet-blending the colors, and then a few more hours glazing and stippling, shifting the scales green and pink and purple and yellow-ocher and orange, etc.
After assembling the Graveyard Golem I decided I wanted to adjust the warp of the gates on the golem's back.
So using two copper staples, I shaped them to an arch and gouged a notch on each wing. Then cut the staple to leave a sharp point. After that, I insert the staple using pliers and force.
Next I will secure the wire to the gate posts with superglue and then shape the wire and wing to the desired warp. Once setup I will glue the wire to the remaining gate bars.
With the main new bars secured, I will intertwine some floral wire to dress up the bars and gate wings.
Stay tuned and Enjoy. Please stay safe.
Unfurl the mainsails and weigh anchor! Finally got around to showing off this fantastic pirate captain mini. Though I've collected quite a few pirate minis in preparation for a nautical D&D campaign, this model was the first I have painted outside of the LTP Kit. I felt he was missing something pretty important so I sculpted a hat for him. Pretty happy with the result. You can see more about how I painted him and my other nautical-themed minis in my Dark Tide WIP thread HERE.
I am most proud of the jacket and sleeves which I wanted to appear as worn leather. I think I was successful. I look forward to painting up a crew for this captain. Recently discovered a few pirate crews from Warmachine that are calling my name.
Another tabletop lady - tried stronger source lighting and focused on trying to smoothly blend the very pale skin. Also managed to make a reasonable base with the greenstuff roller this time - so overall happy to try these things out on her, including the flowers.
Well, I'm back in lockdown. Full, nothing open, don't leave your house, furloughed lockdown. Fortunately, Reaper have started the Reaper Challenge League, which coincides nicely with me having a lot of extra painting time. I'm already in a duo and trio for the league with @Thoramel, @Pochiand @Evilhalfling, but the Fire or Ice category really intrigued me. I love doing fire dragons so I almost started on Narthrax, but then I remembered that I've got a Roc from Bones 4 that I'd always wanted to do as a phoenix. So why not kill two birds with one stone(or roc)?
I'd forgotten just how big this 'mini' was that's a 1cm grid on the cutting mat.
Nevertheless, I started under the watchful eye of my painting assistant
First up, a decent coat of Pure Black
Onto the horror, picking out the details with Garnet Red. This took forever, and almost broke one of my old brushes.
I started brightening the feathers with Brilliant Red, you can see how much difference it makes in the lower wing.
....and both upper wings are highlighted. All I have to do now is apply the red to the undersides of the wings, body and head of the birdie. Shouldn't take too long!
I may have started on Narthrax too.... there's only so much red one person can take!
Thanks for looking everyone. It's been a bit of a slog so far, but it should get easier from now on.
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)