Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Need a new vacuum!

My Dyson vacuum has finally but the dust after 15 years of struggling against dog hair and all the abuse I’ve put it through.

Any recs on a new vacuum? Ones you like, or ones to avoid. 

• Like 1

I used to own an old school Filter Queen, but lost it the last time I moved. I would recommend to go into vacuum repair stores and look at *old* vacuums like Filter Queen, or the old (vintage?) Electrolux, or the one my family grew up with, Compact, which lasted over 40 years. Those are made to last decades, are easy to fix, and filters are still being made. I've seen many old models being sold at higher prices than new store brand consumer models.

My current vacuum is an unconventional choice. It's a 6.0HP Ridgid wet/dry vac. Lifetime warranty. Big (though not very heavy), loud as heck, extremely powerful, and a fraction of the price of other vacuums.

If you want new, and reliable, though not cheap, I'd go with Miele.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We switched to laminate floors due to our eldest's allergy issues, but I have had a Kirby for 22+ years now and other than bags and belts, I haven't needed to do anything for it.  My folks have one older than me that is still going strong.  It was definitely pricey but I figure it is the only vacuum I will ever need to buy.  

• Like 3

We've been happy with our Shark as our Dyson (one's upstairs and one is downstairs).  The Shark was about half the price of the Dyson.

We also have a Roomba to help control the hair from our Golden Retriever.  The Roomba has worked wonders except that over the last few months, it has been attacking the problem at the source and has tried to eat the dog's tail a few times.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have had a shark for a few years now.  It works great but it also doesn't have a lot of area to clean.

My parents have had a Roomba for years.  It works well enough to pick up daily dog hair deposits but it isn't quite good enough to be the only vacuum in the house.

• Like 3

I have a 13year old FOMA central vacuum hidden away in the closet. 

Not much that beats one of those. Just plug the hose into the wall and go. 

Bags last a long time, and as long as I remember to rinse off the filter every few years it'll suck as well as anything. No need for a HEPA filter because it wents to the outside. 

• Like 3

Hi, I'm Jack and I sell Rainbows! ::D:

No, really, I actually used to sell Rainbow vacuum cleaners for a very brief time - no bags since it funnels the dirt through a container of water, also doubles as a vaporizer and air freshener... Or a really expensive bong, lol.  There are a lot of neat attachments.

It's a decent vacuum cleaner, if a bit clunky, but they are STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE. Unless money's not really an issue, I wouldn't bother with one.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Hi, I'm Jack and I sell Rainbows! ::D:

No, really, I actually used to sell Rainbow vacuum cleaners for a very brief time - no bags since it funnels the dirt through a container of water, also doubles as a vaporizer and air freshener... Or a really expensive bong, lol.  There are a lot of neat attachments.

It's a decent vacuum cleaner, if a bit clunky, but they are STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE. Unless money's not really an issue, I wouldn't bother with one.

We had one when I was a kid. My Aunt still has it ! Gotta be close to 50 years old.

• Like 3