Doom 3?

Stray Bullet

So since Doom 3 for the PC is officially in stores today, are many of you gamers out there going to be putting down your brushes to try this so-called masterpiece of gaming? Myself, I haven't got it yet, but will be either tonight or tomorrow.

From the reviews I've read, and screenshots I've seen it looks to be able to scare the bejeebus outta you. :blink:

SB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad said he's going to buy it tonite. I'll probably install it on my machine later tonite or tomorrow (though then I'll be buying and setting up a new TV...)

I remember the halcyon days of playing the original Doom (for those of you that don't know, the original Doom was SHAREWARE!). I think I still have the disks. Never before had I played a game that was so engrossing, or quite simply scared the poop out of me! And that was with early 90's tech!

Damon.

I'm looking forward to it, but I have reservations.

The main thing I am looking forward to is the skill and craftsmanship put into the game engine. It will be astoundingly good, and I can't wait to see it.

The downside, as Gabe from Penny-Arcade said; is that the monsters look like the sorts of things a sophmore-year high school student scribbles on his book covers. They monsters don't exactly instill fear, or even 'wow, that's cool', I just get a 'meh' from them.

Now if someone would be kind enough to mode the D3 engine and rebuild Half-Life into it, then it'll be Brown Trousers time.

--LSH

I'm not in a huge hurry to pick it up. I loved the original doom and love FPS, but just haven't been jonsing to play games as much as I used to.

The two games that scared and creeped me out were Aliens vs. Predator (2 is by far the best, but 1 rocked too) and the System Shock Games.

They came out and announced that Doom 3 will only support 4 players multiplayer.

I know one my favorite parts of the original was four man fire teams....never was much of a fan of the deathmatch stuff. For coop games, four men is where it's at.

Yeah. Whether Doom 3 supports multiplayer deathmatch or not is meaningless -- COMPLETELY meaningless -- to me. One of my biggest gripes about the original X-Wing vs Tie Fighter was that it was geared primarily for multiplay. IMHO when I decide to buy a game it is based on how engrossing the story or gameplay is, not how often I can frag my friends...

Case in point, Halo...

Damon.

Ahh, well I see y'all have misunderstood me...

I don't do well with deathmatch, I'm not into fragging uncontrollably. Matter of fact, I suck pretty hard at deathmatch games

I like team oriented games, people vs. people. CTF, Assault, Onsalught in the new UT 2004..these are my staple.

I've always had a hard time playing the computer, either it's too stupid to be fun, or it's omniscient and again...no fun. I prefer to see what strategies other people can offer vs. what the computer can do time and time and time and time and time again...

A team oriented 2v2 1st person shooter isn't my ball of wax...I want at least 4x4 and fighting over something...no matter what it be...

Suprisingly, I'm much different.

I don't want to depend on my teammates to get the job done. I want to get in there, and make it every person for themselves. I know how good I am, and when to get out of a bad situation, why do I want to depend on someone else who might hesitate for that critical millisecond, and we loose the game.

--LSH