Sign in to follow this  
Generic Fighter

Give Me Some Ideas Folks(August Hobby Goals)

-Try to get at least some of the minis that have been on my desk for months finished.

-Two Witches (mostly basecoated)

-Graveguard Unit and Two Vampires (slowly chipping away at these, five out of twelve are already complete)

-Witch Hunters (currently stuck in middle of parchment/white clothing blending, should speed up once I get past this point)

-two 1/25 1932 Fords (finish painting interiors and assembly)

-1/25 1969 Mercury Cougar (had to repaint body, still needs another coat, adding detail to interior, needs assembly, started on it in 2000, might live to see it finished at current rate.)

-Witch Hunter Chapter House (set to the side until I can get some more minis finished)

-Mausoleum scenery piece (would like to finish before Halloween, probably Halloween of 2060 at current rate)

-Most importantly find where sense of motivation/inspiration has been hiding itself for last several months, and drag it back kicking and screaming if need be.

September ideas...

Autumn Hath Come, Greet It With Minis!

September Paint Plotting and Scheming: Praise Be To Vulcan Edition

The Great Pumpkin Is Coming! Look Busy By Painting Something!

• Like 8

I don’t know if this month is going to be any good for painting.  I did one figure as a virtual speed paint competition (just with/against my son) already, and decided to work on the urban fantasy group for a while.  However, right after Gencon Online I had a busy week at work, so my painting dersk is currently covered with work at home equipment and needs clearing.

I have at the desk:

A half dozen homecast 40mm 1793 British light dragoons to work on (again...)

About 8 urban fantasy figures primed and/or with a few basic colors

A unit of 8 1/72 plastic mercenaries for the Portable Fantasy Campaign

Another handful of assorted 1/72s (elves and assorted non-combatant NPCs)

A bunch of Prince August 25mm home cast fantasy test figures

Some walls and a bridge

If I can get any of that done, I’ll be happy.

I should clear the desk, but I need to go start a couple of loaves of bread first. 

• Like 9

I haven't had time or anywhere near enough energy to paint anything the last couple of weeks. Hoping the worst of it will be done this week so I can start up again. As usual I want to finish more russians, a few skeletons and maybe some random things. 

• Like 6

Mid-month(ish) update!

Goals: Finish Twin Shadows

• 4 Heavy Troopers
  • 3 Stormtroopers
  • 1 Kayn Somos
  • 4 Tusken Raiders
  • 1 Bantha Rider
  • 1 Boba Fett
  • 1 C-3PO
  • 1 R2-D2

I'm working on the Bantha Rider now.  The Raiders were filled with detail, which had its drawbacks.  Every time I thought I was finished, I found another detail I hadn't painted...Well, almost every time.  'Cause they're finished now.

I'm also harboring naughty thoughts about Boba Fett...I've been contemplating putting him into his Holiday Special paint scheme...blue/silver helmet, yellow armor, etc.  Oh, it's hideous or possibly marvelous.  I'm not sure which.

• Like 7

On 7/31/2020 at 10:33 PM, buckyball said:

I had hoped to be running multiple games of Rangers of Shadow Deep at conventions this summer. But due to the Covid-19 pandemic they were all cancelled or switched to online. So keeping in mind what I had wanted to do in August I will:

• Paint another monster for Rangers of Shadow Deep
  • Paint six gnoll tents for the Ghost Stone campaign
  • Paint the last Polish hero for Anno Domini 1666
  • Paint Ming the Merciless for Slipstream
  • Paint this month's Mithril miniature.

I also have to finish my exchange miniature for the summer exchange.

And I have as a personal gaming goal, to run Rangers of Shadow Deep on Reapercon Online.

So far so good. I am supposed to be listed on Warhorn

My hobby goals for 2020 include:

• Painting more miniatures for Rangers of Shadow Deep and Frostgrave games (21 so far)
  • Entering at least two miniature painting contests (and the monthly Frostgrave contest)
  • Painting some sci-fi minis for the game Slipstream (13 so far)
  • Painting all the figures in my annual box (6 remain)
  • Painting a Mithril miniature each month [On track with 7]

Oh a painter after my own heart! I'm trying to get my Frostgrave/RoSD minis ready for the next scenario. I'm stranded at the gnoll camp in RoSD core. My gnolls are coming along great and are almost finished. The big holdup was waiting for Croc Games to clear customs so I can convert a shaman. When Covid clears, I'm hoping to introduce the game to my FLGS. The terrain collection for it grows slowly as well. I've got to find this Frostgrave painting contest. 

On the corner of shame sits my Mumak. I really do need to finish it. I'm stumped on how to paint such a big, grey oliphant and still make it look good. I've been loving my Egyptians for Frostgrave/RoSD too much, and my LoTR minis are languishing. I have piles of them that need to be finished. How do you eat an oliphant? One bite at a time...  

• Like 8

On 8/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, SparrowMarie said:

Goals: 08/2020

- Figure out how to process leaves to use leaf punch 

- Finish Ma'als base

- Seal Ma'al

- Assemble Ma'al

- Paint design around wooden base

Goals: 08/02-08/08:

- Paint 3 WHFRP PC minis

- Figure out a better setup for temporary paint station

- Work on time management

- Work on general organization

I meant to do this weekly to help keep myself accountable but that went out the window, lol.

Nothing on Ma'al is getting done until after RCon, possibly not until after Halloween due to a contest I entered. I painted the 3 PC minis, I've been working on organization. 

I am currently getting geared up for RCon. I've organized paints and am slowly moving things from upstairs to downstairs. I will be going to my in-laws because our internet suuuuuuucks. I tried to Zoom with a friend to test it out since I'd never used it and it dropped the call twice in a 30-40 minute period. 

So current goals:

• Get everything for classes organized
  • Get everything packed (painting and personal items)
  • Survive 5 days at the in-laws

ETA: At least the desk will be a nice and clean set up when I get back?

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 8

I haven’t picked up a brush in two weeks, but my plan for this (three day) weekend is to paint, so I hope that will change...

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Oh a painter after my own heart! I'm trying to get my Frostgrave/RoSD minis ready for the next scenario. I'm stranded at the gnoll camp in RoSD core. My gnolls are coming along great and are almost finished. The big holdup was waiting for Croc Games to clear customs so I can convert a shaman. When Covid clears, I'm hoping to introduce the game to my FLGS. The terrain collection for it grows slowly as well. I've got to find this Frostgrave painting contest. 

On the corner of shame sits my Mumak. I really do need to finish it. I'm stumped on how to paint such a big, grey oliphant and still make it look good. I've been loving my Egyptians for Frostgrave/RoSD too much, and my LoTR minis are languishing. I have piles of them that need to be finished. How do you eat an oliphant? One bite at a time...  

If you are looking for inspiration for Mumak, I would reccomend doing an image search for...

Shin megami tensei persona ganesha

or

Shin megami tensei persona girimehkala

both are elephant like. And different enough from real world elephants too. Recommend turning on safe search, though. SMT/Persona has a few, interesting designs. Do NOT Image search for "Great Mara" anywhere other people are or you will regret it! But the series has a lot of cool looking creature art that can be a really good source of inspiration.

GF

• Like 5

Man I am painting slow for this month. 

I wont say it was because I forgot to set goals, but I forgot to set goals.

1. bones villager 

2. Giraffe Avatar 

3. raft 

worked on Diorama, including a large Fish 

painted a landscape on Canvas 

• Like 7

On 7/30/2020 at 8:46 PM, Inarah said:

Terrainageddon!

I'm making slow progress. Have the fences and arch progressing nicely. One of the spartan statues underway. It had a lot of flash, so I wasn't afraid to start on the battered version, but the "undamaged" one is going to be broccoli to clean up.  The six nagendra cleaned up quickly and I have base coats on all of them.  Halloween tree is base coated and on a new, larger base.  Creepy statue from B4 was cleaned, but I could not get it to straighten out all the way. It has been based for stability.  Considering color schemes for that. Don't want to go plain gray. 

Painting time is being interrupted by preps for basement remodel part two, the built in cabinet installation, and preps for Reapercon, both happening next week. 

• Like 8

On 8/1/2020 at 8:10 AM, Brianuk said:

A pleasure to keep in contact with this August Assembly. 

A very nice Big Thing is happening to us in a weeks time and I expect it will impact on hobbying. I'd been getting through/finishing off over 50 minis a month (lots of units and batch painting) and that is unlikely to be the case for a little while in future. 

Goals are to finish the last additions to the paint queue. So aim for about 15 minis, whatever is hanging around primed and on a base. 

These are likely to be the Chronoscope classic scifi minis I brought, to prepare for Frostgrave Stargrave,  some fantasy, and some pirates. 

Am getting there with my goal this month. Absolutely zero hobbying for first 2-3 weeks of August then managed to catch up, and am running through and finishing the Chronoscope Sci fi minis I had primed, some Viking minis, and some fantasy/Frostgrave figures. Will hopefully be able to finish these off and base them then see what I have time to do in September. 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, Brianuk said:

Am getting there with my goal this month. Absolutely zero hobbying for first 2-3 weeks of August then managed to catch up, and am running through and finishing the Chronoscope Sci fi minis I had primed, some Viking minis, and some fantasy/Frostgrave figures. Will hopefully be able to finish these off and base them then see what I have time to do in September. 

And once things had settled down I managed to finish off quite a lot. Everything is firmly tabletop standard but that's how I like it. 

Painted up three 'points' for Saga, 8 viking hersir/nobles, 12 levy archers. A nice mix of scifi minis from the Chronoscope range. The skeleton archers I needed for Rangers of Shadow Deep. Some fantasy minis including 2 of the new Frostgrave knights. Then I spent a bit more time on a Bobby Jackson sculpt for Dark Sword, the Cavalier with sword. 

Pleased I got through some things as it helped with everything going on. Also, I now have the start of a skirmish set up for Sci fi games, and am interested in the new Frostgrave Stargrave coming next year, in particular. 

20200831_103418.jpg

• Like 7

Unless I manage to paint a little this evening (odds are low) I will only have painted a couple hours all month. That's my worst record in the last couple of years since I was allowed to make myself a hobby area in this house. Not totally unexpected because work was extra demanding and then we were gone 6 days on a vacation. Need to get back at it next month.

• Like 6

On 8/8/2020 at 7:20 AM, Rob Dean said:

I don’t know if this month is going to be any good for painting. 

I have at the desk:

A half dozen homecast 40mm 1793 British light dragoons to work on (again...)

About 8 urban fantasy figures primed and/or with a few basic colors

A unit of 8 1/72 plastic mercenaries for the Portable Fantasy Campaign

Another handful of assorted 1/72s (elves and assorted non-combatant NPCs)

A bunch of Prince August 25mm home cast fantasy test figures

Some walls and a bridge

If I can get any of that done, I’ll be happy.

Well, heck.  I guess I was right.  I did paint a couple of the urban fantasy figures, and I finally had a chance to paint at lunch today and did a stand of 1/72 elves (actually one sorceress and two Reaper Bones saprolings as tree things, the whole collection intended to populate a Hordes of the Things “beasts” stand) but I don’t count things until they are based and varnish coated, so they will most likely be the first things finished in September. I did get four miniatures games in, at least, of which two were remote hosted by others, one was remote for others hosted by me, and one was an encounter in my solo campaign, so that was pretty good.  All of the painting I did this month was fun, so that was good, too. On to September...

• Like 6