Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Keep 'Em Flying: Pulp Bomber Sophie, 03988

My love for pulp, and particularly pulp aviators and aviatrices, is well-known. So this cheesecake propaganda pinup poster Sophie had to be. I was very glad indeed to see it back in production. Love everything about this sculpt from hair to boots. But you didn't come here to read; you came for the pictures!

DSCN8721.thumb.JPG.cba29a845b3f7233a8286fea1b34c40c.JPGDSCN8729.thumb.JPG.7fdd5a489ec72d53e292eed9898be969.JPG
Click for more angles:

Spoiler

DSCN8724.thumb.JPG.db60df6176787e1545891713a407e4f1.JPGDSCN8728.thumb.JPG.785c0e98cd1e7b84d5553beee053af1e.JPGDSCN8723.thumb.JPG.fd0564dac236191ff883f05482a0ebad.JPG

Morale-boosting appearances for different branches
DSCN8726.thumb.JPG.a3504829eaabbce13e6acabb34292377.JPGDSCN8722.thumb.JPG.dd6d2b80afe64c839f022792d1fe88ad.JPGDSCN8716.thumb.JPG.9c58efb3f7ee475fd6e3d81bb849e705.JPGDSCN8727.thumb.JPG.c837e340565154ca28583e1a07bef907.JPG

Plus one for the Kaiju Corps...

DSCN8720.thumb.JPG.4f70e800852e6b0fb371d40632bdf103.JPG

and a couple for the brainy boys in the white coats. (Hey, if we're already surfing bombs, might as well go full Strangelove.)

DSCN8733.thumb.JPG.74758add67c00901610aac077eab0f2c.JPGDSCN8735.thumb.JPG.faf52675916af45cb98d8cba8429abc9.JPG

Guest appearances by 80070 and some Artizan Thrilling Tales figs, 50075, some Murch Pulp sailors,  a Nolzur's water elemental, a Pacific Rim action figure, and a repurposed plastic egg. I also replaced Sophie's wings with some smaller wings I had lying around; I have a plan for those larger wings and a larger devil.

Thanks for checking in!

• Like 20

Once again I love the imaginative settings - all very pulpy - it's like she's doing a photoshoot :) I guess that's because she's a 'bombshell'.

Love her hair and the use of cotton for the rocket exhaust/flame

• Thanks 1

Very lovely.

I’m impressed by your rocket exhaust effect.  I may be mistaken, but isn’t that a bomb she’s on?

The A-Bomb is quite an impressive model too.  Good scratch build using a plastic egg.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all! 

On 7/30/2020 at 2:33 PM, Darcstaar said:

Very lovely.

I’m impressed by your rocket exhaust effect.  I may be mistaken, but isn’t that a bomb she’s on?

The A-Bomb is quite an impressive model too.  Good scratch build using a plastic egg.  

I appreciate it! The exhaust was very last-minute, some drybrushed batting wrapped around a pin. Seeing it photographed, I'll need to punch up the smoke and flame a bit. It might be inaccurate, but I remember seeing something similar on her sample inspiration pic on the old site and being quite taken with the idea. 

On 7/30/2020 at 1:53 PM, Inarah said:

She looks great and the water elemental idea was fun. 

Many thanks! The elemental has a little divot just perfect for her to sit in; it was fate.
BTW, I find it hard to use washes or GW contrasts directly on Nolzur's clear plastic, as they bead up, but it turns out mixing it with a bit of 'Ardcoat solves the problem.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:09 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome job!

I love how she appears in different settings.

Thank you! She's versatile and I had fun thinking of various things she could advertise/sit on.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, Iridil said:

Once again I love the imaginative settings - all very pulpy - it's like she's doing a photoshoot :) I guess that's because she's a 'bombshell'.

Love her hair and the use of cotton for the rocket exhaust/flame

Oh, I'm sure the pun was FULLY intended by everyone involved! I was definitely going for a photoshoot vibe, so mission accomplished. 
And thanks! I was dissatisfied with the hair for the longest time--it used to be more of a chestnut/auburn--until I was using some bright orange for a demon and thought to take a chance with it.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Karla, Anime Heroine, is a beautiful sculpt with a great nurse hat. The miniskirt, while delightful, could be more pulp-era appropriate, so I sculpted a hemline extension. I also replaced a handgun with a syringe, and then gave her a couple of backup syringes and converted her other firearm to a needle gun. She is here to cure what ails you! 

And with her colleagues, Anne Foster (50258) and Dr. Welby (50257):

Stay healthy, folks, and get your shots!
    • By Rigel
      Bombshell just came out with a resin version of their dieselpunk pinup/supersoldier, Liberty. She's a great dynamic sculpt, zaftig and muscular with it. Now, we all know this is evoking some 'what if Haley Attewell became Captain America' vibes, but I've already painted up our red-white-and-blue hero before, as well as an Agent Carter type and even a Captain Canada. So, I might as well continue down the North American continent. Presenting: Capitan Mexica! 

Click for the rest of the turnaround: 
      Alas, the resin gun she came with was fragile and I had to kitbash on a sturdier one. Her shield is taken from an Aztec warrior from this series.
      Not so much Nazi-punching to do, but she has plenty of threats to contend with that would imperil the good folk of Mexico:

...some stranger than others!

And some downright bizarre: 

Here she is with her northern counterparts:

Guest appearances by: Cactus Joe, 50318; Lobo Sanchez, 50050; Diamond Sue Dawson, 50111; El Diablo, 50035; Incredible Woman, 50212; and John Bishop, 50068.
    • By Rigel
      My miniatures list has more varieties of pulp than a paper-mill town grocery's orange juice aisle. Mad scientists, apes, cultists, cosmic horrors, spacemen, sky pirates, zeppelineers, two-fisted heroes, etc. But not a lot of what was for several decades, the most common pulp villain. Let's paint something for our heroes to fight!

Artizan's Thrilling Tales line comes through once again. 
      Here are two horrible and officious jerks, on a pre-dawn hunt for Resistance agents. "Oberst von Stroop" is the one with the gun; "Major Kreipe" the one with the satchel and the dueling scar.

We've seen a couple of the Resistance before, but I believe this is the first time I've posted a picture of "Georges." I had fun with the argyle sweater-vest.

Georges' briefcase contains a surprise! 

Some more baddies: "Colonel Braun," a perfectly pompous sculpt, and the "Kaiserin" from Brigade Games. (Also Erwin Rommel, previously posted elsewhere).

(Couple more pictures of Zenith's commandoes, from 50075, if you click below.)

And on another, stranger front...
      This is "Private Trummer," an old and not particularly motivated soldier sent on special detail with a special unit. He sees nothing, he hears no-othing, and he knows NO-O-O-OTHING! 

It doesn't do to see, hear, or know too much when you're out with the armored Sturm Battalion Zorn. (Pictured: Flamethrower and Rifleman III. I added an extra gas tank from Bombshell to the Flamethrower unit.)

Battalion Zorn is led by "Captain Rohr," a merciless and ambitious creep.

Funnily enough, for a man who sees and hears nothing, Private Trummer has a knack for not being around in a crisis...

Finally, a group shot, as such groups should be. 

• By lexomatic
      This looks pretty fun. Apologies for formatting on my phone and stuff got lost. They pay a living wage
    • By Rigel
      Extraplanar beings are diverse. I've painted several red fiends, and some green, blue, and purple spirits. When I came across this sculpt in the FLGS, I decided to try a new unnatural complexion for this devilish-looking entity, without any red whatsoever. It was fun! Only regret is that there were some great exposed back muscles that are harder to see now because I decided he needed wings (graciously donated by 039988, Bomber Sophie).

More angles:

The garment was a good opportunity for gradients, but I can't help but feel there was a missed opportunity for a pattern. I'm open to suggestions!
      Fair warning: while this mini looks rad, there are areas underneath the skirt that are almost impossible to reach with a straight brush. Hard to notice from most angles, fortunately, but another instance of a common oversight on the company's part. 

Appropriately dramatic glamor shot:

A surprise guest appearance from Big Sister:

• Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)