Sign in to follow this  
Otyugh

Iron Wind Metals DF-538 Sea Serpent

would they all fit on a common 6 inch by 4 inch oval base? It's kind of begging for an ocean scene with Epoxy water effect and you wouldn't lose any pieces that way

Love the bright colors you used, looks fantastic

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fencig said:

would they all fit on a common 6 inch by 4 inch oval base?

It would be a tight fit...

I am not so good at terrain yet.::(:

But everyone posts such great threads that I can not help but to improve! I gotta lurk some more on the terrain forum...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

would they all fit on a common 6 inch by 4 inch oval base?

In a straight line, it'd definitely be a bit crowded front-to-back, but if you had it swimming through the water in a somewhat snakelike fashion (since the 4 inch width would give you room to spread them out a bit) it'd look good...

I've seen folks do a lot of different stuff with this guy - ditch the second piece altogether, replace it with a plesiosaurus-style hump, add extra middle pieces, slap together multiple head sections to make a hydra... Heck, if you get five or six of this guy and just don't use the head pieces, you could use the bodies and tails as tentacles on a kraken or something.

I've always liked this guy. I bought one back in the old days when it still a Ral Partha figure, and I've painted it twice since then.

Great colors on him.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I bought one back in the old days when it still a Ral Partha figure

I got min at the Iron Wind Metals table at a con... If I remember correctly, I could have picked more heads, humps and or tails because they were selling them by the weight. I still kick myself for not being greedy and picking up more pieces.

Thanks for the Ral Partha clue... I will look in the old catalogues for the sculptor.

• Like 1

He's still pretty cheap on their online store... They have most of the old Ral Partha figures available, although sometimes you have to dig through a few different sections of their store to find a specific guy, but they keep adding more figures regularly.

EDIT:  @Otyugh... Technically, this figure is originally a Citadel figure, designated FF-76 Sea Drake... Ral Partha used to have a licensing deal with Citadel to sell their Fiend Factory line in the US under the Ral Partha Imports label, and added a bunch of their own figures to it as well, but when the deal ended they replaced all the original Citadel figures with new new ones.

(Which is why you don't always find this guy on a list of the RP Fiend Factory figures.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Technically, this figure is originally a Citadel figure, designated FF-76 Sea Drake... Ral Partha used to have a licensing deal with Citadel to sell their Fiend Factory line in the US under the Ral Partha Imports label, and added a bunch of their own figures to it as well, but when the deal ended they replaced all the (Which is why you don't always find this guy on a list of the RP Fiend Factory figures.)

I have a few of those Citadel licensed minis, they are a totally different style from the regular Ral Partha minis, but still super cool!

• Like 1

I love what you have done with this oldie - it tempts me to track it down and get one! Great touch with the vivid red - makes it look tropical

• Like 3

Gen Con was supposed to be this weekend... The virtual one is just not the same. Life without impromptu gaming, various events, and the dealer's room is the pits.

I COULD HAVE GOTTEN SOME NEW MINIS AND SWAG!!!

Yes, I will take some cheese with my whine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel you @Otyugh!  First Gen con I haven't been at for at least Sunday in a decade.

I really like this mini and you did a great job on it!  Mine is an extra hump or three for the reasons you mentioned above and I think I have away some humps and a tail.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

A couple of sculptors come to mind when I look at it, but I still don't know who did it...

I would look on face-crack, but I abandoned that time and soul-sucking social disaster years ago. It was taking time away from more important things like minis and gaming!