Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for today 7August 2020: What is, or was, your favorite job?

OooOO! a QUIzzlE! mE lOvE QUIzzlES!

Where did that come from!?

*ahem* anyways. My hand is forced, as I've only ever had one job. I work in retail, a grocery store specifically. Which is both good and bad, as I hate dealing with customers, but I enjoy doing overstock and that kind of physical labor. So I guessed it's a mixed bag.

1 minute ago, CashWiley said:

Being paid to play music. Nothing better.

I will not envy, I will not envy, I will not envy... 

Edited by MusicalFeline
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

OooOO! a QUIzzlE! mE lOvE QUIzzlES!

Where did that come from!?

*ahem* anyways. My hand is forced, as I've only ever had one job. I work in retail, a grocery store specifically. Which is both good and bad, as I hate dealing with customers, but I enjoy doing overstock and that kind of physical labor. So I guessed it's a mixed bag.

I will not envy, I will not envy, I will not envy... 

When I was in high school I worked at Jewel-Osco as a bagger for about a year. The way I kept my sanity was by working out a scheme with the other baggers to take over their turns on bringing carts in. Worked especially well in cold/hot weather and when there was rain. Those days I'd be on carts the entire shift, never having to deal with a single customer. Management let me get away with this because my habit of gathering every cart in the lot into a gigantic single train and pushing em in, meant that once I got the timing right, we never ran out of carts and they were pretty sure that I wasn't just slacking off out there.

So if you can pull off something similar, it cuts down on stress and is good exercise. 

(Another good stress relief for grocery woes is the ancient art of frozen turkey bowling in the backroom. Protip: Use Butterball if you can, those glide far superior to any other brand, and once you figure out the proper cast, they're fairly accurate as well.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

As an adult, I don't think I've ever had a job I fully enjoyed. I enjoyed running chemical analysis; I didn't enjoy the company or the majority of the people I worked with. I liked teaching and tutoring; I didn't like that sometimes people just want you to give them the answers instead of learning (but hey, it kept me getting paid). Factory work on the assembly line wasn't bad, just some of the air-powered tools and tiny parts could make your hands and wrists ache from all the repetition.

Probably the best job I had was my first one as a teenager at the movie theater. Free popcorn and soda while you worked, frequent periods of downtime to do menial labor and quick tasks while the movies played (or to watch snippets of the movies and see which were actually good), and you could come in and watch movies for free during off-peak hours. Yeah it sucked at times (kids movies were the worst to clean up after, and lots of vomit in the hallways from the Blair Witch Project causing motion-sickness), but all in all, was a pretty sweet deal.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for today 7 August 2020: What is, or was, your favorite job?

The job title was Technical Communications Illustrator. 

What I did was wade into either Autodesk Inventor or Unigraphics NX6 where the engineers had built the 3D models. 

Using those 3D CAD Programs I would disassemble the parts in an orderly way, capture a view that showed everything, then I would import that into AutoCAD. In AutoCAD all the parts could be carefully labeled either with numbers or words. The end result was a drawing that would help a maintenance tech fix an ailing machine.

The company I worked for was respectful to everyone, kindly to handicapped folk, doing their best to be all electronic and paperless, provided free coffee and tea all day, provided spacious one person cubicals, and setup CAD People with high-end, quad-processor workstations, with dual monitors. All the people there were nice. 

Sadly it was only a temporary contractor gig — I would have cheerfully stayed there forever. 

• Like 15

On 8/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, Corsair said:

Question for 6 August 2020: Tea...hot or cold, sweet or not?

I like both hot and cold teas. Specific blends I might prefer one or the other. There are only 2 levels of sweet I like, none and southern sweet, as in so saturated with sugar, there are still crystals in the bottom. Nothing in between. 

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

My current one was my favorite. I organized moderately sized events that got me lots of compliments on my food. I wrote menus, even influenced the design of the kitchen. Now there is no catering until at least next year and I have to decide if just being a nursing home cook is really worth it. 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Questions for 8 & 9 August!

8th, Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

9th, What was your favorite pet/animal story from this forum?

I always had Boxer Dogs.

My current one is Brutus.

In the past I had lizards/turtles/tortoises/frogs/newts and fish as well.

Brutus:

IMG-20200416-WA0004.thumb.jpg.9f4decf38ba06ce6cad4b82eaa031644.jpg

All of them!

I love the shenanigans our pets come up with.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I am presently Damnit The Cat's personal Old Man.

ACtC-3cxWTlyPO9F-FmDHfTJJf10amF2pwrKsYNC

I don't remember any pet stories...of course, I don't remember a LOT of things.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 12
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Don't have a dog due to lack of space (small apartment means the larger breeds hubby wants wouldn't even be able to get halfway to top speed before having to turn or run into something), I'm allergic to cats, and as for other animals I'm waiting until we get a house so we can have some sort of fox, probably a fennec. 

I do miss having a fish tank, but it is nice to have somewhere to put things, so there is that tradeoff (plus not going to lie, hauling five gallon tubs of old tank water halfway across the place got tedious after a while, and while I'd love a saltwater tank I really don't want to have to mix up said salt water).

13 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Probably my old crowntail Tyr, who was fascinated by the show Mythbusters, and would regularly get so caught up in watching the TV he'd have to dash up to the surface to get his oxygen again... 

Sure, there are plenty of other stories (ferrets hiding in jackets, dogs doing silly things, snakes being jerks and sneaking along the back of the futon while everybody was distracted and then flicking their tongue across my ear....)), but nothing else as concrete comes to mind in this fox's pre-coffee mind ^_^

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Q8--We have 3 cats.

Q9--There are way too many to list, so I'll second 'all of them'.

• Like 14

On 8/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, Corsair said:

I have hated every job I've ever had, and probably will always hate my job. The advantages of my current and most recent past job is that I'm in a call center where I've been able to get away with painting miniatures during the work day. That's a nice perk. Especially now that I'm working from home, so I have access to more of my tools and resources.

34 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I currently own/am owned by 4 cats, and have been around cats for almost all my life. My wife really wants a dog, but we don't have a fenced in yard yet, so we haven't been able to acquire one. We've lived in this house over 10 years, and have never been able to get around to having our yard fenced in. TBH, I'm not a big fan of dogs myself. I find them smelly, drooly, just not my kind of animal, but I'll be happy to let my wife have one if that's what she wants and we can pull it off.

• Like 13