Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

53 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Questions for 8 & 9 August!

8th, Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

9th, What was your favorite pet/animal story from this forum?

Currently have 1 dog (Bandit) and 1 cat (HRH Buddy). I have already been approached to see if it was too soon to think about getting another dog with Bakana just recently passing, so I may end up with a Black Lab 1-1/2 yr  old pup in the next week or so that may need to be re-homed. Wife still wants as it was her mothers that she inherited, but Hubby is having a hard time with having 3 dogs in the house. I just hope that I can communicate with it as she just moved from NC.

Yeah, I'll have to go with the majority, and say all the stories.

• Like 14

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

No. My last dog died a few years ago, and I can't get another one now that that the dog rescue place has moved to an out-of-town site.

It's really hard to pick just one pet story, they're all good (except the sad ones).

• Like 14

8th: My dad hated pets, so we never had any "real" ones when I grew up. By real, I mean cats and dogs. Gold fish never cut it. And my brother's hamster that was only active at night, or his lizard that thrived at being immobile also gave no satisfaction. I want a fluffy sidekick who reacts positively to my presence and makes me happy.

Even now as an adult, my job can keep me away from home for long periods, days even. So no pet deserves that.

9th: I found @TheAuldGrump's adoption by a crow to be uniquely entertaining. I love any pet story where you can see the animal's personality shine through.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 14

Not currently. Unless the Fat Little Birds and other assorted critters that have laid claim to the porch feeders qualify.

Wouldn't mind getting a cat, and continuing my research in understanding the feline mind, but that's being held off until I can finish remodeling the bathroom, as otherwise I'd be having to deal with an over curious cat getting itself trapped under the house. 

• Like 13

Currently, Thumper. She has other names as well such Little Miss Princess, Ms Bun Bun, The Booper & others.

For a couple of years we shared ownership with a neighbor with a communal fence with a hole in it. That neighbor abruptly ended that relationship when she decided to try & trap her & "give her to someone that wanted her....wt*!"

Her territory is the entire backyard as we couldn't cage her up after being free to roam for as long as she has. She initially escaped from a backyard neighbor anyways. That neighbor has moved.

She is quite the character & my family is happy she came into our lives, a couple years ago.

Stories: All are great but I think the ones that I tend to like more are the ones with non regular pets, like a rabbit or guinea pig. Cats & dogs are fine, but i tend to like the other furry pets more.

20200805_102111.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

8th we have been adopted by a fluffy black cat this year. She attached herself to my daughter while the wife and kids were out for walks. Over the course of several months she convinced them to feed her and now she lives mostly in our back yard. Their relationship is the epitomy of a cat's self entitlement and control over people. I'm here, I'm cute (except when she was shedding), FEED ME!!!

9th there was the one where that guy said that his pet did that thing. You remember? It was really cool! Went to school with a girl that always wanted to be included in conversations but that was generally the best she could come up with. ::P:

• Like 13

I have a number of cats.  Two indoors and a variable number of strays on the back porch.  Cats have always found me, even as a child.   I was warned by my grandmother and great aunts that the barn cats were not friendly and would not let me pet them. So I sat on the back step and watched them, and pretty soon was surrounded by cats that wanted petting.  They would run if anyone else came near, but I could always approach them. 

Years ago I had an orange tom that, like most cats, wanted to sit wherever he wanted to sit.  One evening I was lounging on the couch and he wanted on my chest. I didn't want him that close to my face, mostly because I had a steaming hot cup of tea in my lap and was intent on enjoying it.  After several attempts and being pushed away he tried a direct attack: jumped right up onto my stomach and landed in my mug.  I'm not sure who was more surprised. He flicked the wet paw all over me and stalked off.  And then for a few hours that was the most wide-awake cat I have ever seen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

23 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

I will not envy, I will not envy, I will not envy... 

Don't. The music business is trash. My advice for anyone looking to get into the music business is to study business and make music for fun.

I do not currently have a freeloading furball. I did foster a cat for a couple months during the shutdown, but he has happily been taken back to his original home. Not sure when I'll try again, to be honest I'm ok being without a cat right now. Bart kinda spoiled me for pets, he was a singular entity (I've had tons of pets in my life, he was something else).

I guess these days my pets are my pals in the yard and the woods in back. This year's rock star is Stumpy the Tripod. Every now and again we get a 'Stumptail', a chipmunk who loses his tail. This year, a squirrel takes the role...but on closer inspection he's missing his right foreleg. Since so much of a squirrel's day is using it's forepaws (to eat, bury or climb), it's inspirational to watch this tough little dude. I haven't seen Mr White, my white skunk, in a while, which makes me sad. He was a stunningly beautiful creature. But we do have our many skunks, sweet little dudes. Several other friends stop by regularly, the raccoons, deer, fox, possums, etc.

And of course the neighborhood cats, a mix of outdoor pets and ferals. A couple of the ferals like to hang out on my patio...until I try to approach, of course. So now and again we'll just hang out, me by the door playing a video game, and feral kitty lounging on the patio, close....but not too close. We had a neighbor with 4 in/outdoor cats, their colony leader (Hunter is my name for him) has organized everyone into a loose colony.

Hunter came by to integrate my foster cat, which was hilarious. Hunter is named as such because he spends his day hunting small game throughout the neighborhood. His story is made amazing because he has a partner who hangs out with him all the time, named (by me) Loaf. Hunter is a wiry tuxedo, rippling muscle and intelligent gaze, nature's predator. Then there is his buddy Loaf. A tabby chonk who's life is spent daydreaming and napping. I love watching Hunter stalk prey carefully, full-on primitive predator mode, creeping slowly up on his prey, belly low to the ground, inch by inch...and then Loaf comes trundling along, blissfully unaware "HI THERE HUNTER!" and stomps right past him, spooking any prey. Hunter will sit up with an exasperated posture and move on to find another burrow to stalk. Once Loaf flopped over right on top of the nest Hunter was surveilling. And they're always a team. It's awesome.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

8th: Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

No dog, no cat, not even a goldfish. 

That reminds me that I captured a spider!  (Several days ago...oops.) I meant to put it outside. There may be a sad story in progress depending on how long spiders can survive confined and ignored. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

7August 2020: What is, or was, your favorite job?

I have had two jobs that I regularly thought: " I can't believe they pay me to do this!"   One I would have done for free (in fact I was hired after many hours volunteering to do it.)   and much of the other was so interesting that I was as happy weekdays as I was on weekends, sometimes more. 

1. Building houses with Habitat for Humanity.  when I had a really terrible job at GM, I would sometimes call in sick Wednesday and go build houses for 8 hrs instead. 

It was far more satisfying, and eventually Habitat hired me.  

2. Planning TOD light rail stations, I was mostly doing research, reposting articles, and setting up workshops for famous Urban Planners to come talk to the locals. 

occasionally I would go tour working or non-working sites - ie ride trains and take photos.  Either in my city or around the US. 

Also going to conferences where I could argue with other Planners,  and join intellectual twitter conversations that ran alongside the official events .  I would get the same kinda rush I get at Reapercon.  Meeting old friends, famous practitioners, learning,  teaching, some drinking.. 

C . Being a stay-at home dad.  It doesn't suck.  it would make the list, but "They" don't in fact pay me to do this.  and it really has made pandemic schooling a no-brainier. 

8th: Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

As of July I have 2 cats:  Butterbean and Lin Manuel 

previous cats were named after Audrey Hepburn and Ella Fitzgerald, neither was the same color or build as their namesake.  

Butterbean kept his name from the cat adoption center.

Caturday.jpg.05067eaffb0ce2c5fc75d3ff76096971.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I am owned by dogs, and the cats are just squatters (their lease expired, but no one dared to evict them). Two Labradors (one chocolate and one yellow/cream), a yappy Maltese (also a squatter), and the cats. I call the chocolate lab my Chocolate Lady, and the yellow my Toasted Marshmallow because she has a darker patch running right down her spine (not their real names, just what I call them while giving tummy rubs and getting tail wags). The Maltese I just call Buyer's Remorse. (He was meant to go live with my brother, but the shelter dog they adopted is far too aggressive, so back he came.)

One cat isn't so bad (we took him in as a stray 10 years ago and he was very grateful) though as he has gotten older he has become more... well, more of a cat. The other cat is straight from hell. The only time that cat has ever been pleasant to me in 12 years is after she had extensive surgery to remove tumors and was doped up for the better part of two weeks.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm currently ruled by a court of five cats.

I could not pick a single story out, I like them all! 

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I have a mating pair of Canadian House Hippos. 

Anyone confused by this, there used to be an ad on Canadian TV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijcoS8qHIE

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1