Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

2 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I have a mating pair of Canadian House Hippos. 

Amazing, they're notoriously hard to domesticate. :winkthumbs:

Reference for the rest of the world:

A lot of Canadian kids dreamed of house hippos.

Edit: NINJAED! :ph34r:

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Oh gawds, I haven't seen that commercial for aaaaages... 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Questions for 8 & 9 August!

8th, Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

9th, What was your favorite pet/animal story from this forum?

Everyone who has been on the forums for awhile knows of Marmalade, who passed away 2 years ago.

20141011_151559.thumb.jpg.92ead54544150d181ceca26fdb06c3cc.jpg20150519_185217.thumb.jpg.39ab3e872636f8594fd56d5f197b32f2.jpg20150702_071750.thumb.jpg.b69c13624df6e837760d84b21eebdc92.jpgIMAG0263.thumb.jpg.593686d3a7c5ea0495fa3245eee630ac.jpgIMAG0276.thumb.jpg.80b17d2dc52bfaeb2bb1970fd01d8959.jpg20170602_213918.thumb.jpg.5182b706b721adee005a46713fa2935d.jpg

Anyone who has been on Google Hangouts with all of us always heard how talkative she could be. Also, when my DM recorded podcasts for our Shattered Star campaign, Marmalade voiced the Sphinx at opportune times.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I haven't had "pets" since I was a teenager, however, over the years I have cohabitated with a fair number of house spiders, although I'm not certain how many of them were entirely cognizant of that fact. There have definitely been a few that were clearly aware of me as a fellow creature and seemed to be actively attempting to share our mutual space in a peaceful fashion. Probably because I'm in the habit of stunning bugs that get inside instead of killing them, and leaving them for the spiders.

• Like 14

On 8/1/2020 at 10:19 AM, TripleH said:

It's a toss up between the Awards Ceremony and the Auction. It's really great to see @TaleSpinner's kid win something. :lol:

You made my wife's and my whole day when we read this. Seriously, I'm still giggling about it!  :lol:

On 8/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, redambrosia said:

2) I’m gonna pick @TaleSpinner, because he’s cool, got loads of knowledge about sculpting, and he made my cute teddy bear mini ^_^ But I’d love to meet all of you and spend more time in person.

Aww, thanks.  Honestly, you are at the top of my list too.  You are one of the few long timers whom I have yet to meet, you, @Glitterwolf, and @Kuroneko (I'm sure there is someone I am missing; but it is highly possible that I just think I have met you if I haven't; ReaperCon gets weirdly muddled in my head, especially with forum names vs real names).

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I do go through a heck of a lot of peanut butter, though. 

Seriously, we were at work on Friday and my boss claimed he saw house hippos for sale at the pet store. Then we asked him if the pet store had any dogs that bark bees in stock. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 8/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Corsair said:

I don't really remember many of them with any details. But the one that comes to mind (probably because it was shared most recent) is the story of @Kuroneko's cat Loki stealing frosting every time her housemate bakes and dashing off with the batter/frosting all over his face.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/8/2020 at 1:54 PM, Corsair said:

Questions for 8 & 9 August!

8th, Do you own a dog, are owned by a cat, or other pets?

We are currently regulated by a triumvirate of feline overlords. One even has a draconic sidekick!

1038519994_DSCN0702.thumb.JPG.457d14b65c467d6a0c1dac3976dee5b9(1).jpeg.8f847856fc69485adc0bea95db9e3162.jpegRSCN0046.thumb.JPG.5201498880997793138615f218bb4160.jpeg.4e9c40e1a11da4d35f7a2314706b58cb.jpeg

452285987_RSCN4083.thumb.JPG.19368dc9d279b22262e5dcae35e19f47(1).jpeg.09e385067a30a2ccc2642ae610b47832.jpeg

My favourite pet story from the forum was @Thoramels description of how he rearranged his house so that his elderly dog could spend quality time with his family. She passed away recently, but her twilight times were helped greatly by having an awesome owner who went to a great deal of trouble to make her happy. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I don't really remember many of them with any details. But the one that comes to mind (probably because it was shared most recent) is the story of @Kuroneko's cat Loki stealing frosting every time her housemate bakes and dashing off with the batter/frosting all over his face.

That frosting story was another good one. You'd think frosting would be bad (?) for cats…. And maybe they'd realise this. I guess not. Silly things.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

That frosting story was another good one. You'd think frosting would be bad (?) for cats…. And maybe they'd realise this. I guess not. Silly things.

Pets don't realise such things, a dog will happily chow down a piece of chocolate, depending on the amount and the type of dog this could kill it.

Also: please be careful with sugarfree stuff where the sugar is substituted by Xylitol.

It will kill your dog!

Not sure about cats.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

It IS bad for them- kitteh tummies were not designed to handle sugar at all. Unfortunately Lokis understanding of cause and effect does not include a random food item that he ate 6 hours ago. Mostly because he's eaten a lot of random things since then, how on earth could he pinpoint the troublesome one? :rolleyes:

I've read  multiple sources saying that cats can't taste sweet things :rock: If that's true, then at least a third of my lifetime feline overlords have been atypical because they were complete sugar fiends!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pets don't realise such things, a dog will happily chow down a piece of chocolate, depending on the amount and the type of dog this could kill it.

Also: please be careful with sugarfree stuff where the sugar is substituted by Xylitol.

It will kill your dog!

Not sure about cats.

It's not been proven, but I wouldn't risk it. Even if it didn't do any harm at the time, it might have a cumulative effect.

Better safe than sorry after all.

14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

He pulled the same trick with cake batter yesterday. That stuff drips EVERYWHERE :wacko:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

20 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

It IS bad for them- kitteh tummies were not designed to handle sugar at all. Unfortunately Lokis understanding of cause and effect does not include a random food item that he ate 6 hours ago. Mostly because he's eaten a lot of random things since then, how on earth could he pinpoint the troublesome one? :rolleyes:

I've read  multiple sources saying that cats can't taste sweet things :rock: If that's true, then at least a third of my lifetime feline overlords have been atypical because they were complete sugar fiends!

It's not been proven, but I wouldn't risk it. Even if it didn't do any harm at the time, it might have a cumulative effect.

Better safe than sorry after all.

https://www.poisonedpets.com/sugarless-gum-with-xylitol-the-toxic-bubble-poised-to-pop-on-your-pet-i-said-pop-not-poop/

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs

https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Pet-Health/Caring-for-your-dog/Careful-xylitol-can-kill-your-dog-20150129

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

He pulled the same trick with cake batter yesterday. That stuff drips EVERYWHERE :wacko:

Maybe he can taste an ingredient, other than sugar, that cake batter and icing have in common. (?)  

Says the failed cook... <_<

Do both have butter?

• Like 7