Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Questions for 15 August 2020:  Do you build/paint other types of models/crafts?

I'm planning on getting into the occasional aircraft, ones I've had a personal relationship with (aka grew up around) or have always admired.  Musical stuff is arguably a "craft" ^_^

5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

And for 16 August: Have you ever made a diorama?

I have not. I've considered it, but for now that's something that will always be thought of, but not quite acted upon due to space requirements, and naturally a desire to build one.  I'd have to have an idea stay as it's main form for long enough to be sure I was happy about it first, since I know they're large scale projects, even if you make a small one. 

• Like 12

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Aug 15: I've been getting back into building/painting model vehicles again. I've got a bunch of garden gnomes that I've primered, one that's partly done, I painted the lawnmower, and have thus far managed to resist the urge to repaint the chainsaw in the style of the Inquisition from 40k. Basically if it doesn't flee under it's own power, sooner or later I try to paint it...

Aug 16: Somewhere I've got a diorama of a cottage being attacked by zombies. I'll at some point probably redo it.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Aug 15th:  I've done a few models before, but been a long while.  I have .... a number.... of Gundams in boxes behind me that I plan on working on "soon".....

Aug 16th:  I love doing dioramas. It's really fun to try to get one of the mental images I get of things out there for others to see. I have a far too massive one sitting behind me (yes, right in front of the Gundams) in the planning stages (still). It's supposed to be for this year, but I'm already thinking I won't make it, especially if I keep paint Legion figs instead of working on it.

My favorite I've done is likely this one:

preliminary_right_top_view.JPG

• Like 15

57 minutes ago, Corsair said:

No, nothing that isn't "28mm" miniature related. When I was 15 I bought and put together a model of a few scale Star Wars ships, but didn't know jack about properly assembly,  gluing or painting (the internet was still a new thing back then). They are probably around here somewhere, but it'd be quite a bit of effort to fix those disasters.

Ever since I discovered a channel on Youtube called PunishedProps about 6 years ago I have been wanting to get into making some favorite cosplay weapon replicas to adorn my walls, but lack of proper tools/materials and funds for such have made it only an aspiration.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Yes. 
2D painting, Terrain making, Model Aircraft...

(I answer under the qualification that other types = anything that is not a resin/metal/pewter miniature sculpture.)

Once. 

I should make a 2nd attempt.

• Like 13

I have a few Gundam kits, but I haven’t had a chance to put them together yet. I’ll probably stick to BSR* and possibly BSM•, cars and airplanes have no appeal for me.

I do like to paint those pretty little boxes and such that you can get at craft stores. They make for nice presents.

* Big Stompy Robot

• Big Stompy Monster

• Like 13

Yes, I do a variety of crafts: quilting, dollhouses, beads, and gardening.  I've been building stuff since I was a kid. This is why all my figures are not painted, I have other fun stuff to do. 

• Like 13

15: In my youth I put together some model kits, but haven't done that in years.  I do paint non-gaming scale figures if that counts as something different.

16: Not really my thing.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Q15: I used to build models of all sorts but haven't in quite a few years. I've still got quite the collection of model kits waiting for some attention; I'm going to need to decide if I'm ever going to build them or if I should sell 'em off.

Q16: Yes, I have. I made quite a few as a kid; none of them have survived to the present day. Most recently, I had the crazy idea to make a diorama for Reapercon 10 days before the event. I was egged on in this insanity by several prominent forum members who shall remain nameless. I did finish it in time and it earned a bronze, which tells me that if had actually planned it a little better and put more time and effort into it I probably would've done better.

Here's the WIP thread in case anyone is interested:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77165-chaos-wolf-has-a-case-of-the-crazies-starting-a-new-project-for-reapercon/

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Do you build/paint other types of models/crafts?

I started out with Military Models before I took the plunge into Fantasy and some Scifi.

These days I paint / build a lot of that, but I also paint busts.

Here's a few:

DSCN9267.thumb.JPG.3416dd3216afe1f8fbc925b18516c7ef.JPG1660069963_DSCN7812-kopie.JPG.cdb26dc22d9991b7cb588288b288788e.JPG

DSCN8552.thumb.JPG.04549acdfac49ae201376f524bfdf7d2.JPGDSCN0328.thumb.JPG.9e3ef352556df770d64e3ebc1a454717.JPG

Have you ever made a diorama?

Several, again I used to make dioramas with Military Kits.

These days Fantasy and Scifi:

710622099_DSCN6582-kopie.JPG.0ad6bd5c0b33491a23aebeab772573f3.JPGSpikesCrypt14_zps0c914e1f.thumb.jpg.0449a732acb1d77b6060ffa9010b06ee.jpg220776997_DSCN4410-kopie.thumb.JPG.0b05ed62a4fd08265bd90cb6c84a40bf.JPG

1113472407_InspGall1.JPG.9763a26cc4577195771290c8e1290577.JPG

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

There's a repulsor tank and a drop pod that still needs to be assembled and painted yet. Also painted an Imperial Knight Castellan. Also, I have diorama plans but nothing made as of yet.

• Like 12

There can be only one. Plenty of other hobbies though...

Dioramas... yes, still failing at that.

• Like 13

Before painting miniatures, it was scale vehicle models, including a few Star Wars models. Then I got properly introduced to RPGs, and miniatures soon followed.

I also own several Gundam models. I only assembled and painted one of them.

And of course LEGO dominated the building model category.

Only one. More of a vignette really. My 2019 ReaperCon entry.

Though thinking back, I may have done some in arts and crafts as a lad in school. So crayons, pipe cleaners and popsicle sticks may have been involved.

Now I secretly want to include pipe cleaner and popsicle stick golems in my RPGs. Then upgrade them to matchstick golems for fire damage.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have several Star Trek ship models in storage waiting to be built. Made a bunch when I was a kid, really looking forward to getting back to it with all the new skills I've got.

Also looking into making some cosplay props, but aside from watching some youtube videos, haven't gotten far into that yet.

Yes! Took it to ReaperCon. Got a bronze... Have plans for a couple more.

• Like 13