Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Questions for 15 August 2020:  Do you build/paint other types of models/crafts?

And for 16 August: Have you ever made a diorama?

When I was young and my grandpa (yes, the same one who helped make my mini display shelf) came to visit, we'd assemble a wooden aircraft model, which I would usually paint.

No dioramas yet, but I'd really like to someday.

Edited by MusicalFeline
Added link
  • Like 12

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I dabbled briefly with Japanese model kits, but as they were mostly robots I quickly lost interest.

Nope, never made a diorama, don't have the room for them.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

15th: Yes. I fix and refinish furniture, build props for cosplay, I have some plastic model and papercraft starships, basically if it involves painting and/or building, I am into it. 

16th: Yes. Not many completed. Maybe just the one. Several started though, like the camp in a cave with a river, the 4 seasons one, the post apoc one with radioactive zombies and an overturned bus, the bug one in a petri dish, the mousling one with little match box beds and thimble cups, the shipping container cafe with sculpted sweets and handmade chairs... you get the idea. 

• Like 12

15: I build scale models. Mostly race cars or Tamiya models. I dabble a bit in aircraft ( I have a Iron Maiden "Book of Souls" Tour plane I want to actually start before I turn 50....) & sci-fi (SW, ST mostly).

16: I think the last diorama I did was a plastic Star Wars model of Luke & Yoda inside Yoda's house. Artoo is outside peering into a window. That model is long ago. Miniature-wise, not really I have ideas but they never come to fruition. I do have one that I'd love to build up but the feeling for it, only comes around the winter time as it's a cold themed scene. ^_^

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I used to be a huge Adult Fan of Lego, and when I was young I painted ceramics. That's actually what got me into painting minis. Now I build scenery with Hirst Arts. I like to pose minis on the Hirst Arts terrain and take photos of them, so while not technically a diorama, I enjoy them. There are a few hippos and crocodiles in 28mm that Foundry makes I'd like to make a Nile diorama out of. I also have a how to make Egyptian model boats book, so some day I will make a proper diorama. 

I bought a canoe with voyagers in it in true 28mm from Warlord Games that I'm going to make a diorama out of for the canoe club. 

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

My scenery building & sculpting are more or less for the miniatures I do. It all works together. I used to do cartoons/caricatures.

I have done a fair number of dioramas/vignettes & still have a couple. Now I do the photo stages & make movable /mutable dioramas.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

August 15: I build snow sculptures, one of my fav parts of living in Denver is the snow is great for building. 

this year it was a 7' high throne,  then later 3 witches standing around a cauldron.   

I have recently started paining an occasional canvas.  -  2 this year, 2 last winter. 

August 16: yes but I have given most of them away- 2 as mini exchanges, one to my wife, one to my sister.  the only one I have left is "bones in the the graveyard." from 2018. 

working on a new one now.   

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 13

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I used to do a few WW2 tanks and aircraft but nowadays it's all 28mm (approximately) fantasy and historical stuff.

I have made a couple dioramas and plan on making more but mostly focus on gaming minis and terrain.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, haldir said:

a plastic Star Wars model of Luke & Yoda inside Yoda's house. Artoo is outside peering into a window.

I used to have that one...

I used to build plastic models as a kid (the Testors enamels I had for the models were my first mini paints as well), and for awhile as a young teen I used to take car models and convert them to CAR WARS vehicles with various guns and other parts from tank, helicopter and battleship kits.

4 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

August 15: I build snow sculptures, one of my fav parts of living in Denver is the snow is great for building.

I never really stopped making "snowmen", even after I stopped being a kid... ::D:   I've never attempted one of those huge sculptures you see in competitions, nothing involving complex planning and days of work, but I've done a few life-size people and other objects just for giggles over the years. I think the most time I ever spent on one sculpture was about nineteen hours over the course of two days - my coworkers were utterly mindblown to come in on Monday morning and find a 5 1/2-ft. tall angel with 6ft-tall spread wings (built over a wire frame made of coat hangers) in front of the building, lol.

Another occasional hobby that also sprang from childhood (from making my own Halloween costumes and FX) is theatrical costuming and special effects makeup - I got into theater in high school, and eventually got involved in the national Rocky Horror Picture Show scene.

Since my parents' "hobbies" included woodworking and painting ceramics/flower arranging, I've also done those as well. Honestly, though, I basically consider myself a builder/craftsman - I make things, it's just what I do. Over the years that's included everything from baked goods to macrame to furniture.

As to the second question...

In junior high, for a history class I did a project on the Vietnam Conflict, and made a diorama using most of the figures from Grenadier's Secret Agents 3002 Mercenaries box set. I've done a number of dioramas over the years, both with plastic models and miniatures.

I currently have two medium-sized and two small scenes in the planning/early execution stages and one rather large one that's more of a pipe dream than a project, although they've all been pretty much stalled out for the past couple of years.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 11

On 8/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, Corsair said:

Dioramas, I've made a few

I've had my share of sand glued to a base

And miniatures, too....

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/45234-painting-excuses-summer-of-monsters-diorama-entry-thread/&do=findComment&comment=632376

I've also done a number of single figure vignettes: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/33886-reaper-halloween-painting-contest-08/&do=findComment&comment=497169

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/38680-winter-painting-contest-2010/&do=findComment&comment=556152

• Like 11

On 8/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, Corsair said:

I like to make cardstock buildings and scenery for games occasionally. Although it's been a while since I made anything.

I've done a few of what I consider vignettes, but nothing I'd say was large enough in scope for a diorama.

• Like 9

On 8/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, Corsair said:

No, I haven't. I have several ideas for some, but no real space to build or make them. That's the downside to having to move back in with your parents; after several years of having your own space, once you are back, you don't feel like anywhere is really yours, to set up and work in as you see fit. I already feel like an imposition on physical space with all of the totes and few bits of furniture being stored here. Plus my other siblings have left things here throughout the years, so while it's a big enough space to theoretically have a workshop, all that potential space is taken up.

• Like 9

YES!

Silver and gold smithing/fine jewelery has become a fairly major hobby for me now.  Recently, I am also learning stone setting and as of last week cabochon cutting.

I also do woodworking when practicality demands it.  It really isn't a passion for me though.

Yes, but rarely and more small vignettes.

• Like 13

On 8/15/2020 at 2:44 PM, Corsair said:

I used to have a lot more craft-type hobbies, but I cut back on pretty much all of them when I had to move quick sharp from my abode due to an extremely traumatic incident. It was a massive downsizing and the only things that I didn't sell/give away was my minis/paints and the kitteh. I don't regret it though, sometimes you have to make tough decisions to keep yourself safe. 

I don't really do dioramas, mostly due to space but also the fact that it takes me long enough to paint individual miniatures ::P:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1