Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 19 August 2020: What is your favorite game system?

Prob all time fav is Basic D&D (red-blue-green-black-gold system). It's what I grew up with.

Current favorite. I like 5e, it's a throwback to the older systems but yet retaining some newer stuff like the magic system (spell slots vs, you've got 3 spells at 1st, 2 at 2nd etc etc) + its popular so your gonna get people that want to play it. I do like the retro-clones of old D&D as well, like Sword & Wizardry & such. One of my favorite times was playing in a S&W game at ReaperCon at the factory. The game was ran by a good friend who unfortunately doesn't frequent the boards or RCon anymore. I miss seeing him & his wife in person.

• Like 9

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

For electronics: my phone.  I have a few for my PC but never find time to play.  Phone is always there....

For RPGs, really, whatever I can find someone to play.  So currently D&D 5.  Last thing I ran was Savage Rifts, which was pretty nice...certainly better than the original Rifts system.....

For Minis, again, what I can find someone to play.  So currently Star Wars Legion. It seems to be a decent system, fairly light, with (obviously) an awesome setting! (and also the prequels......)

I'd like to get into a 15mm WW2 game at some point (because tanks!) if I can ever talk one of the guys I work with into getting back into it.Maybe when/if we ever get back in the office....

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

For electronic games I prefer a PC. But that's because the only video game I've played in a while is from the Total War franchise.

For wargames I've really enjoyed whatever system Xwing/Star Fleet/Wings of Glory seem to use. But I don't play a lot of wargames either. 

For TTRPG's we use FATE. No, not that fate. Ours was first and is an acronym for Fully Adaptable Tactical Environment. It's a system my group came up with by basically cherry picking what we liked best about the different rule sets we were using at the time and wrapping that around a simple percent based combat system. At this point it's at least 20 years old. The latest iteration is about 90 pages typed and about another 50 pages of hand written notes not yet incorporated into the typed version. I really should get those typed up soon while we're on an extended gaming hiatus (since sitting in a basement with a crowd of guys chugging beer and yelling at dice doesn't really lend itself well to social distancing). As you can see, our typed up portion is very snazzy...

IMG_20200819_140515257.thumb.jpg.5d6c59742ebd23a60b2a701f6ed403b5.jpg

IMG_20200819_140735353.thumb.jpg.7c7a9bd182905ee64a418a7e122b3641.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

PC Gaming Master Race!   Yeah, I like my PC, but that's in purple because I don't really believe the whole superiority thing so many banter on about.  Sure, it has higher refresh rates, and can have nicer graphics and whatnot, but that gap is narrowing, especially on the "actually perceivable to the average person" scale. 

Have to disagree with you here, not out of a superiority pc master race thing (because I understand the convenience of a console and use my PS4pro more than my PC most of the time these days). But I was just watching a Digital Foundry comparison of the new Avengers game on PS4 vs Pro and Xbox One S vs X and it's pretty noticeably blurrier (the dynamic resolution and antialiasing iirc were the main culprits). And with access to DLSS, nvidia RTX cards on the PC are simply amazing pieces of hardware (and ray tracing is transformative but I'm not expecting much out of the new console generation of AMD silicon). And speaking of 'perceptible to the avg user', ray-tracing is a massive game-changer for games that fully embrace it (check out the minecraft RTX beta, it's...amazing).

Anyway.

AD&D 1st edition is my favorite gaming system that I've house-ruled into oblivion.

I guess I enjoy Kingdom Death Monster's AI system. I dig the simplicity of Zombicide (I'm just now playing through the 1st season box missions!).

I'm considering building off that platform to integrate more KDM style features for enemies. Actually it's a project I've been thinking a bit more about lately, as I'm thinking about developing a whole bunch of stuff to hang off the Zombicide:Invader platform (integrating updates from Z2.0 when it comes out). I want to add in AI decks for mobs ala KDM, build custom cards for other scifi mini content (Sedition Wars is so perfect for Invader use, also Space Hulk and of course Star Wars though I only have the core Imp Assault box), and integrate features (both AI and tactical) from X-Com 2 (likely pulling some stuff from the Infinity skirmish rules).

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Though I don't consider myself a video gamer anymore, I still prefer PC gaming over consoles. Last console I owned was an NES (with light gun robot). I think it's the flexibility of keyboard/mouse that left me preferring it over game pads. Though time wise, I spend more time on tablet games than anything else, but I also use them to be mere casual gaming.

For RPGs, I've tried plenty of different systems, and I like both number crunching systems and simple ones. With the right mindset and right group of players, they can all be enjoyable. But for personal overall experience, Pathfinder 1e is my current favourite for the setting and variety of rules. And I appreciate D&D 5e for what it does right, simpler and faster, but with some loss in overall variety.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

In reference to video gaming:

Probably either the Nintendo Switch (Breath of the Wild is the best game ever, period.) or SNES classic. That was a great compilation.

In reference to board gaming:

4X board games are kinda my style.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

In reference to board gaming:

4X board games are kinda my style.

What is a 4X board game? Are there 1X, 2X, 3X, 5X, 6X boardgames and if so, what distinction does the number define?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I like my Switch, but overall prefer my PC.  Lately though it seems like I just waste time playing android games on my phone.

For RPGs I've like most of the systems that I've played with.  Probably the ones I've had the most fun with were 4E D&D and 13th Age but I'm willing to play Pathfinder or whatever.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

AD&D.

Yes, the one with THACO.

Git offa mah lawn!!

I've played a little bit of 5e, and that's pretty good, IMO.

I like reading the Pathfinder stuff, but a lot of their adventure paths are a little too over the top for my tastes. You can only have so many 'save the world' campaigns before it starts to get a little boring. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:
1 hour ago, TGP said:

What is a 4X board game? Are there 1X, 2X, 3X, 5X, 6X boardgames and if so, what distinction does the number define?

It stands for "Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate"

Sounds like the Daleks invented that style of game.

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

For TTRPG's we use FATE. No, not that fate. Ours was first and is an acronym for Fully Adaptable Tactical Environment. It's a system my group came up with by basically cherry picking what we liked best about the different rule sets we were using at the time and wrapping that around a simple percent based combat system. At this point it's at least 20 years old. The latest iteration is about 90 pages typed and about another 50 pages of hand written notes not yet incorporated into the typed version. I really should get those typed up soon while we're on an extended gaming hiatus (since sitting in a basement with a crowd of guys chugging beer and yelling at dice doesn't really lend itself well to social distancing). As you can see, our typed up portion is very snazzy...

Would that be the same FATE system that the Dresden Files RPG uses? I have the rulebooks, but have yet to actually play the game. I think it also came with a set of FATE dice that are d6s with +/- on the faces.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Godlike. Its just a great system. We play a home brew of D&D which I like a lot, partly because I helped with the design.

I have to abstain on the video games. Last time I played regularily was an N64 and a pc running win xp.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

It is certainly not any variant of Warhammer...

I have not played Frostgrave enough to have an informed opinion, but I am inclined to like it. 

• Like 8