Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

On 8/18/2020 at 6:57 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 18 August 2020: What is your "comfort food"?

Potato.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, SparrowMarie said:

Y'know... that never occurred to me. I'll have to look next time we order groceries.

If you live in Washington, Fred Meyers has frozen okra in the frozen food section. Sometimes they have the fresh stuff too.

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 19 August 2020: What is your favorite game system?

PlayStation or DnD 5e.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Here's today's Quizzle 20 August 2020: Pick a book that you haven't read in 10 years, but would like to again.

The Barsom Project by Larry Niven. I just reread Dream Park so I will reread the series. I reread regularly but at over 4000 books it takes a while to get back to some.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Here's today's Quizzle 20 August 2020: Pick a book that you haven't read in 10 years, but would like to again.

There are a few old favorites that I would like to reread. I picked up a new copy of David Edding's The Belgariad. I also have The Bible According to Mark Twain & Don Quixote on the back burners.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Almost everything I’ve ever read.... I haven’t had much opportunity to read. The good news is that I can read it to my baby.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I don't know if there is a book I've read 10+ years ago that I would want to read again and haven't done so already. I've done more reading in the past 2-3 years than I have in 15 years. I read the original Dragonlance Chronicles at least once every 5 years. I'm rereading the Dresden Files currently. Apart from some college textbooks, nothing leaps out at me (The Laws of Thermodynamics isn't exactly bedtime reading, but Organic Chemistry might be.)

Maybe a Terry Goodkind book from the Sword of Truth series? He got pretty preachy starting with Faith of the Fallen though, so maybe one before that. Two more books past that one made me stop reading and never finish the series.

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Probably the original Dragonlance trilogy or maybe Vampire of the Mist. It's been awhile since I've read either of those.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Would that be the same FATE system that the Dresden Files RPG uses? I have the rulebooks, but have yet to actually play the game. I think it also came with a set of FATE dice that are d6s with +/- on the faces.

The other Fate, yes. I think. Certainly not our FATE. 

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

There are actually a few books I haven't read in over a decade that I've been thinking of picking up again recently. The Elric books by Moorcock immediately springs to mind. The first Dune trilogy is almost always on my list of "read it again" books but for some reason I just haven't picked it up in a while. And, because it just feels like there isn't enough weird in my life right now, I've actually got my copy of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! trilogy sitting on my bedside reading stack.

• Like 8

My old friends...

There are a few I've been pining for. I'd like to go through Ptolus again and Greg Isles' early works are some of my favorites. "Black Cross" and especially "Footprints of God" are on my reread list. His more recent works are still great, but they don't appeal to me as much, I find them too mainstream. I've also been eyeing my copy of Osprey Publishing's "Jason and the Argonauts", mostly because I want to apply the Frostgrave/ Rangers of Shadow Deep ruleset to some Greek minis and make a campaign. Oh and "Animal Farm", and "The Giver", by Lois Lowry. I haven't read that one since junior high. My niece is due to read it soon, so maybe we'll do that together.  

• Like 6

Another vote for the original Dragonlance trilogy here. I got them secondhand, battered and almost falling apart from a cousin and they're pretty much the reason that I got into role-playing

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't reread much. Maybe a few classics like Lovecraft and Poe, mostly for atmosphere.

But I feel like I've burned out on fiction almost entirely. I went through a period a few years back where I kept trying to find a new fiction book and went through maybe a hundred before deciding I just don't like it anymore. Fantasy in particular bores me, there's so much and so much of it is poorly written to the point where I was more interested in trying to figure out the author's hang-ups than enjoying the story.

So now I mostly read non-fiction, using my reading time to improve my mind.

• Like 7

I reread a lot, so it’s hard to pick something I haven’t reread lately.  It would probably have to be some monstrous tome of history, like A.H.M. Jones, The Later Roman Empire  284-602: A Social, Economic, and Administrative Survey (in two volumes). At least if I did, I already have some version of the miniatures game implied by that, so I wouldn’t be too tempted to buy more toy solders...

41F0A412-AD8A-4FC3-9F71-F444F696DB93.jpeg.329b66ace68950a296308d173d9515a3.jpeg

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8