Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

Good afternoon! Question for 4 August 2020: Black Gobbo and the White Wolf are gone, do you have old archived copies of hobby magazines? Do you sporadically purchase, or subscribe to, any publications that have survived? 

I have downloaded several vintage magazines and catalogues in PDF form.

Like this one.

image.png.604d19f67a197ae6286775dd18faf039.png

• Like 12

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Good afternoon! Question for 4 August 2020: Black Gobbo and the White Wolf are gone, do you have old archived copies of hobby magazines? Do you sporadically purchase, or subscribe to, any publications that have survived? 

I used to have a bunch of old second-hand Dragon magazines, but I gave them to a friend when I moved a couple of years ago. I don't currently subscribe to any, mostly because things like twitch and paetron have taken their place for me.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yes, I do.

No, I do not.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

I still grab old Dragon or Dungeon magazines to fill out my collection, there's always been a lot of interesting stuff in them.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

Magazines? White Wolf? I believe you just carbon-dated yourself with this question, friend...

Never had any hobby magazines. There have been times I've been tempted to buy old issues of No Quarter during clearance sales (when an issue was like $1) but always rationalized that it would end up as more clutter lying around the hobby table. Having only been in the hobby for 10 years, the digital media age hasn't made hobby magazines my go-to source for hobbying knowledge.

• Like 9

I still have whatever Dragon & Dungeon Magazines I purchased back in the day. While I would read the issues my friend would buy (he had a subscription) back in high school, I only bought issues that had Ravenloft articles/adventures in them. It wasn't until around Paizo's start of publishing where I started to buy the issues myself. The city of Sasserine is still one of my favorite setting/cities in rpgs!

Currently I have a digital subscription to a MaximumPC & I did have one to Scale Auto, but I read, the publishers are ending the magazine's run. :down: I've had a digital subscription to Fine Scale Modeler in the past as well.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

My college game club got me into Dragon Magazine, and it was the only game accessory I bought regularly in the 90s and early 00s. Sometimes I found older issues in game stores. It introduced me to tons of fantastic artwork.

Aside from that, the occasional PC/videogame magazine, but those were few and far between.

I don't think I even have a single painting or miniature related magazine. Though I did find the Figure Painter Magazine PDF collection when they offered it freely during the early days of the pandemic. I have yet to open it up and read it.

With so many resources online now, the need for a physical paper reference just isn't there as much.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I have quite a few issues of G.W's White Dwarf US editions, Towne Cryers, & Fanatic, as well as some No Quarter & Ravage. All my Dragon mags disappeared a long time ago.

It has been quite sometime since I subscribed to any hobby/craft related magazines. Are there any still around?

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I have quite a few issues of G.W's White Dwarf US editions, Towne Cryers, & Fanatic, as well as some No Quarter & Ravage. All my Dragon mags disappeared a long time ago.

It has been quite sometime since I subscribed to any hobby/craft related magazines. Are there any still around?

Fine Scale Modeler is still going, but for how much longer who knows.

I've seen on Kickstarter, various b&w magazine KSes devoted to old school gaming & what not (retro-D&D clones) but if they are dead tree version or pdf. I have no idea.

I think I've seen Frog God Games has a black & white mag as well.

• Like 8

I have a (rather) small handful of Dragon issues, and possibly one Dungeon (or at least I had one at one point - I think I recall discovering my house had eaten it the last time I organized my shelf)...

For my other hobby, I also have a couple issues of Crazed Imaginations, the Rocky Horror fanzine...

• Like 8

@TGP thank you

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Thank you for covering for me!

Still have several boxes of magazines from my various hobbies.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I used to, before I moved to NYC. They were one of the collections purged, along with most of my comics. Most were given to the Children's Inn at NIH, and the rest ended up on the free table at Balticon.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Nope, haven't really bought into any particular magazine, at least a subscription.  Go back far enough (1995-1998) and I would diligently walk to the local book store to buy a copy of Computer Gaming World, but didn't really get into any of the model gaming or painting ones. 

Contemplated Kitplanes, but that's a hobby that's way too expensive at my current pay grade.  Gaming table in living room is acceptable, but I'd get in trouble for even having the tail section in said living room! ...and that's before trying to figure out how to get it out of the living room after! :P

• Like 7