Getting to know you August 2020

Corsair

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Good afternoon! Question for 4 August 2020: Black Gobbo and the White Wolf are gone, do you have old archived copies of hobby magazines? Do you sporadically purchase, or subscribe to, any publications that have survived? 

I have a few physical copies of random Dungeon and Dragon magazines in a box somewhere.  I have digital copies of the majority of their runs.  I suppose I should see if I can fill in the gaps at some point for completeness sake.

For the painting side of things... I can't think of anything.

• Like 9

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Good afternoon! Question for 4 August 2020: Black Gobbo and the White Wolf are gone, do you have old archived copies of hobby magazines? Do you sporadically purchase, or subscribe to, any publications that have survived? 

I have a stack of White Dwarf from the early 2000s to around 2010 or so. When I lived in Austin and saw any at Half Price I'd pick them up as well. Partly for the same reason I'd collect old World of Darkness splatbooks, they are a connection to a world that I enjoyed that is now gone, and partly because using the internet as painting reference came late to me, so having something to ponder and learn from was useful. The current paint scheme I use for white witch hunter clothing/parchment is based on something I found for space marines in one issue. My witch hunter army itself is heavily inspired by one I saw in an "Armies on Parade" article in another.

I don't currently subscribe to anything, mostly because I have become spoiled by the reference material available online.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm slowly collecting issues of the Dragon magazine.  However, having won a copy of TSR's CD-ROM archive of Dragon issues 1-250 on a popular auction site, I'm no longer pursuing these as much.  (I really want the magazines for the content, not to have for the sake of having.  They take up room.)  I just need issues 357 and 359.

I have a few issues of the White Wolf magazine.  Many of these are available on DTRPG so I'm not too interested in collecting paper copies.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, malefactus said:

It has been quite sometime since I subscribed to any hobby/craft related magazines. Are there any still around?

Amazing Figure Modeler is still going and the last I can remember being purchased.  Reaper advertises there.  A number of sewing, quilting and craft publications are still on the racks. I wonder how they hold on, what with the internet being the source of all things free. 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, TGP said:

No.

I used to pick up the occasional copy of White Dwarf when the cover looked interesting but that was over twenty years ago.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, TGP said:

I have some old White Dwarfs. I think I have a few even older issues of Dragon magazine. I wish I had figured out a way to save off copies of Black Gobbo. It was an eZine. 

I am not subscribed to anything at present and I have not bought any one off issues in at least 3 years. 

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Magazines? White Wolf? I believe you just carbon-dated yourself with this question, friend...

I never said I was not an Old, Ancient, and Wise Griffon. 

(I wasn’t around when Dirt was invented but I remember when it was trademarked.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Tuesday’s question was inspired by a color scheme discussion in The Last Hurrah thread. 

11 hours ago, malefactus said:

....hobby/craft related magazines. Are there any still around?

12 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

My college game club got me into Dragon Magazine, and it was the only game accessory I bought regularly in the 90s and early 00s. Sometimes I found older issues in game stores. It introduced me to tons of fantastic artwork.

Aside from that, the occasional PC/videogame magazine, but those were few and far between.

I don't think I even have a single painting or miniature related magazine. Though I did find the Figure Painter Magazine PDF collection when they offered it freely during the early days of the pandemic. I have yet to open it up and read it.

With so many resources online now, the need for a physical paper reference just isn't there as much.

11 hours ago, haldir said:

Fine Scale Modeler is still going, but for how much longer who knows.

I've seen on Kickstarter, various b&w magazine KSes devoted to old school gaming & what not (retro-D&D clones) but if they are dead tree version or pdf. I have no idea.

I think I've seen Frog God Games has a black & white mag as well.

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Amazing Figure Modeler is still going and the last I can remember being purchased.  Reaper advertises there.  A number of sewing, quilting and craft publications are still on the racks. I wonder how they hold on, what with the internet being the source of all things free. 

I have Bolded three titles ^ mentioned above @malefactus and I can add Wargames Illustrated. I think it might still exist. 

36 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

**slaps head**

I forgot that I'm currently subscribed to Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Mortal Realms, but that's only because I want cheap Nighthaunt minis ::P:

I did not include any publications from the work shop of games in my list because those had devolved into thinly disguised catalogs or marketing brochures the last time I looked. But, some are still published from that source. 

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

@TGP thank you

Thank you for covering for me!

Your welcome! Glad to do it. 

>> hands back Inquisitors vestments <<

(We should have our regularly scheduled Quisitor on Wednesday.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Nope.  I had a fair sized collection of Dragon and Dungeon from the 3.0-3.5 era, but they did not make the move last year (after sitting in boxes since the last move).   I think they ended up recycled unless one of my friends claimed them.  There wasn't much interest in them.

And no, I don't purchase anything anymore. Not for a long time now.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a few Dragon magazines from the late 80s- early 90s and a lot of White Dwarf from the same time. The White Dwarfs belong to my best friend who's wife didn't let him take all his hobby things with him when they moved away from the area. Sadly flooding and water damage ruined a bunch of them earlier this year. I'm starting to be of the opinion that if you have things that haven't been touched in over a decade maybe they should be sold/given away instead of stored to rot.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, TGP said:

No. Many, many years ago I gave all my old copies of Dragon and Dungeon away. Fortunately though I gave them to a member of my gaming group and they have followed our group around to wherever we are playing at the time. Right now they are on a shelf in a buddy's basement along with a bunch of old rulebooks and National Geographic maps. So if I ever want to look through them again they're still accessible. I haven't purchased any physical magazines in years.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I've got a few of my original Dragons from back in the day, as well as a few old White Dwarves.

I'm subbed to a couple painting magazines with my membership to the Portrait Society and also Hi Fructose, which are hobby mags but not this hobby :D I've got a massive stack of old guitar mags that I keep around for the tabs in them, even though I haven't opened a single one in 20 years. Probably should recycle them at this point!

• Like 11