Corsair

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Good morning!

Question for 5 August 2020: Is Decaf really coffee? Or is it a plot to poison the Great @Crowley

Well, it has the same gawdawful stench as regular, so I’d say it’s still coffee. 

And I don’t think poisoning would be the right word. Since it has less caffeine, I’m pretty sure it would just cause withdrawal... which is like poisoning, but without the poison.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Good morning!

Question for 5 August 2020: Is Decaf really coffee? Or is it a plot to poison the Great @Crowley

I'd call it a form of coffee, yes.  It has a time and place. 

Nobody is forcing him to drink it, so I don't see the problem. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Good morning!

Properly labeled decaf would still reside within the range of what would be considered coffee. 

Unlabeled or incorrectly labeled decaf is a vengeful plot by those who "think they know better", that think "if they just tried it they would like it. They don't need all that caffeine" and try to trick people into not consuming the essential caffeine that keeps society functioning. I suspect that "Big Pharma" may be behind decaf, specifically the makers of advil and aleve....(we know Tylenol isn't involved, since they include caffeine in their little pills of headache removal)...big money in treating caffeine withdrawal headaches.....

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good morning!

For some people it is, like my father. Since caffeine can irritate your bladder, for anyone experiencing bladder/prostate issues (such as people of advanced age) it is recommended to drink decaf. Caffeine can also lead to increased eye pressure, so anyone with glaucoma or borderline-glaucoma eye pressure is recommended to go decaf, or at least monitor their caffeine intake.

Worth noting that I am not a doctor... but I played one as a child... and on the dance stage to pay my way through college... :poke:

Also worth noting that I don't like coffee.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good morning!

It is the result of a fiendish plot by the evil goddess Ricore. Like all creatures of evil, she is unable to truly create, she can only twist and corrupt and the sad saga of decaf is but another example...

In 1903 she appeared before a German merchant named Ludwig Roselius, who was convinced his father died of "too much caffeine". Utilizing his grief, she whispered to him foul and corrupt alchemical procedures to "remove the poison" from coffee beans thru the abuse of acids and bases. The archheretic Ludwig patented this abominable process in 1906.

Using the health and fitness craze sweeping Germany in the 1920s and 1930s, decaf became used for propaganda purposes and thus the heresy did spread further.....

Her purpose in doing so was oddly enough, primarily targeting the Elves.

From time to time, an Elven follower of Our Lady of Tobacco will so impress Our Coffee God Agamenthar that upon death the Elven soul is given the opportunity to "move up in the scheme of things" by reincarnating as a Dwarf. However, before that can occur, the Elven soul is first reborn as a human in our world. 

It is written in the Scrolls of Deep Lore that after the Order of Restraint was served by minions of the celestial mother in law, that Nicotina "spent time visiting relatives" and not long after that the first humans were found wandering about the worlds. This has never been confirmed nor denied in any official capacity, but considering that Agamenthar puts up with the foibles of humanity with a great deal more patience than anyone would've expected, it is more or less given unofficial credence by most who have studied such things. The fact that He uses the human form as a midway point for Elven souls who impress him is a fairly convincing piece of evidence as well.

Anyway, because of the frailness of Elves, even when in human bodies, they often have trouble "holding their coffee" as they say. So the folks who for some reason or another have difficulty with coffee are usually these Elven souls. Agamenthar uses this as yet another test, to see what the Elvensouled will do about this. Will they struggle their way thru, or will they fall to the temptation of Ricore's infernal concoctions?*

Decaf is meant to prevent the Elvensouled from passing this test, thus inciting the Twitchy Wrath of Our Coffee God, who will once again throw them into the Elven afterlife and from then to the ending of all things they will never live as anything other than Elves. For Ricore, a creature of jealous spite, cannot abide the idea of any Elf being welcomed by Agamenthar after He rejected her, and will fight tooth and nail to do all she can to prevent this. The corruption of humans thru the decaf she views as an added bonus, since she is also convinced that we are a people born of Agamenthar and Nicotina's joining, so our very existence triggers her and if she cannot glut her revenge upon her sister or Agamenthar, she will happily do so upon humanity.

Here ends today's lesson.

*The answer lies in Hot Chocolate. The Great Pumpkin in his Mercy, has provided a safe path to the Elvensouled who cannot handle coffee, yet refuse to fall to Ricore's trickery.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

Good morning!

Question for 5 August 2020: Is Decaf really coffee? Or is it a plot to poison the Great @Crowley ?

Yes. (Because there is a plot...)
No.  (Because there is a different culprit...)

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

Who knows?  Only philistines drink coffee.

This explains Goliath and his kinsmen then?

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Well, it has the same gawdawful stench as regular, so I’d say it’s still coffee.

It would seem that Griffins are immune to the stench... ...there’s a stench? :huh:

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

And I don’t think poisoning would be the right word. Since it has less caffeine, I’m pretty sure it would just cause withdrawal... which is like poisoning, but without the poison.

A hamster can’t catch a break, it’s chocolate that will do them in...

Beware Pumpkins bearing Gifts <_<Haminister:

38 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

The answer lies in Hot Chocolate. The Great Pumpkin in his Mercy, has provided a safe path to the Elvensouled who cannot handle coffee, yet refuse to fall to Ricore's trickery.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Good morning!

Well, the process starts with coffee beans, so there's that. But then it makes a hard left into the world of chemical solvents (unless you're talking the more friendly water method of decaffeinating) which is where, in my opinion, it deviates from actual coffee. Once you start adding things to the process other than beans and water (and a USDA allowed amount of cockroaches in your average ground coffee) then I don't really think of it as coffee. Some things, like a little sugar or cream, can be added in small enough amounts as to retain the basic coffee-ness of the beverage.  But once you get foreign substances in the mix like methylene chloride then I'm all for calling it something else. And for the record, foreign substances includes pumpkin spice. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

Beware Pumpkins bearing Gifts <_<Haminister:

Crowley can handle his coffee just fine, which proves he is not one of the Elvensouled.

Therefore the Solution presented by the Great Pumpkin does not in any way, shape or form apply to him or any other hamster. If nothing else Crowley proves hamsters can handle their coffee better than a lot of humans can....

And while I'm at it, before anyone else starts going on about felines not handling chocolate well, the continued health and well being of One Boot proves otherwise!

And on the W.O.O.F. side, Glitterwolf didn't seem to suffer any ill effects from the chocolate Smartees things either!

(actual animals are of course a different story, keep the hot chocolate away from them, but then again I've had to deal with both dogs and cats at various times trying to drink my coffee when I wasn't looking. Henceforth, they aren't Elvensouled either.)

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, TGP said:

Good afternoon! Question for 4 August 2020: Black Gobbo and the White Wolf are gone, do you have old archived copies of hobby magazines? Do you sporadically purchase, or subscribe to, any publications that have survived? 

I might have some old White Wolf magazines, but I mostly haven't held onto them since I stopped playing WH40k back in the late 90s. I still have several issues of Dragon magazine from Paizo's time during the 3.x years, though. I don't subscribe to any hobby magazines anymore.

Good morning!

I hate coffee unless there's so much ice, milk, and sugar that it doesn't taste like coffee at all. Coffee smells delicious but tastes awful on its own. I have no real stance on caffeinated or dedaffeinated. I would think it depends on the time of day you're drinking it.

• Like 10