Sign in to follow this  
Otyugh

Ral Partha 11-422 Catoblepas sculpted by Richard Kerr

I ain't even gonna try to feed this beastie lemongrass...

Ral_Partha_11-422_Catoblepas_by_R_Kerr.jpg

20200802_172921.jpg

20200802_172928.jpg

Known for its deathgaze and horrific flatulence, it was universally feared by adventurers.

But, if some brave adventurers would gather milk, the local creameries would produce Death cheese.

I was surfing through some posts and saw the catoplebas mentioned, so I thought that someone might enjoy seeing one.

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

Awesome!  Did not expect that take when I clicked to see your work.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

That is so cool!  I haven't seen one of those in forever!  I love the cow pattern it really is perfect for the mood.  The whole piece made me smile as soon as I saw it.

Great job with that and thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

The Catoplebas is a fun monster to toss into the middle of a campaign to potentially break up the hack 'n slash. It is amusing the looks on the player's faces when a merchant or local farmer gives them a milk the catoplebas quest.

• Like 2

Do you all remember the Gateway computer company?

I was inspired to finally paint this mini afelter recieving a computer from them. We affectionately call this monster "The Gateway Beast".::D:

Gateway inspiration.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Otyugh said:

The Catoplebas is a fun monster to toss into the middle of a campaign to potentially break up the hack 'n slash. It is amusing the looks on the player's faces when a merchant or local farmer gives them a milk the catoplebas quest.

I may have to do this.  My group fluxes between role playing stagnation (they want to talk and explore, which is good but they tend to get bogged down in the minutia) and murderhobo syndrome (they get new weapons/spells and the answer to everything is a sharp instrument)  I try to keep them balanced but quests like this are perfect *(what do you mean we have to leave the vicious beast alive!!!)*  thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Really like the touches of pink on the back and mouth against the Holstein pattern - lovely old mini 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I may have to do this.  My group fluxes between role playing stagnation (they want to talk and explore, which is good but they tend to get bogged down in the minutia) and murderhobo syndrome (they get new weapons/spells and the answer to everything is a sharp instrument)  I try to keep them balanced but quests like this are perfect *(what do you mean we have to leave the vicious beast alive!!!)*  thanks for the suggestion!

Other good distractions from the stab and loot Monty Haul groove the players tend to sink into is an Abyssal Carnage-val conveniently accessed though a random dungeon door/portal... A Robert Aspirin-ish Deevil (Mything, Inc. reference) hawking a wheel of fate is rather amusing, with chances of gender bending, stat changes, gold, magic goodies, etc.

Edited by Otyugh
  • Like 1

Boy howdy, in a D&D/fantasy universe, anything called THE GATEWAY BEAST is something you want to treat with respect. That beast has power over DOORS, and some doors...should not be opened. :;,;:

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning Reapermaniacs,

So here's one I've had painted for about a week or so but have never just gotten around to sit down at my normal computer to post him.

This one is one I've actually had for a long time, and it's an old lead version back from the seventies.  I had to at one point I think scrape off some paint. I had another newer version of him, but the detail was pretty soft so ended up painting up the original, whose details were so much more nice and crisp.

And being he was a "high" elf, I wanted him to have some nice light colors, no greens and browns.

Anyhoos, here he is:

I've been on a recent kick painting these older miniatures, even old by Partha standards (pre-eighties).  I think I'm going to keep painting them, putting them into my normal mix of newer, old Partha figures.  In any case, hope you like them!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again Reaperlings!

So here is the other figure I finished this morning from their Shadowrun Range, a Jim Johnson Female Bounty Hunter with Machine Gun.

With this gal, hard to decide on colors. Do I go strictly drab and military greens and browns or do I add some color into it? I opted for color:

I'm hoping/guessing that she's got some kind of radio/cell phone/walkie talkie in her other hand, but hard to know for sure. I think Shadowrun probably had a bunch of different technologies, not at all familiar with the game, but really do like the figures.  

Once again, enjoy, hope you like!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello fine fans and lovers of the Reaper Miniature World!

So today I've got two figures to post. I'd do them together, but different sculptors and different genres.

The first one is an old Julie Guthrie figure from the eighties, Woman Warrior With Two Swords.  I think she came in a box from the range "the Adventurers", which was full of female player characters.

So here she is:

In one of Anne's podcasts, she was doing non-metal metal and I'd asked her about her base colors and she suggested more grey as opposed to a blue beginning, so with this figure and her metals, I started out with Rainy Grey instead of Ashen Blue which is what I normally use.  I think she came out pretty decently, even though of course I'm never satisfied with my own work.  Such is the curse of the painter....

Anyhoos, hope you enjoy her, a very fun and basic figure.  One of the reason I like old school minis as I've mentioned before.  She strapped on her armor, grabbed her blades and took off.  No ladening herself with bags, sacks and knick knacks.

• By 72moonglum
      Morning everybody!
      So just finished this one up and got photos edited.  I've had this figure for a while now, just finally getting time to paint it, he's Ral Partha, Wizard from Ral Partha's Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night series.  One of the first miniatures of that series, and this might be the second version.  There was another version with a shorter hanging cloak, and then one was done many years later, where you are able to easily see Tom Meier's progress over the years.  This was sculpted in the seventies, in the infancy of Ral Partha. It's a fun miniature and this is just a huge and heavy chunk of lead.

and then kind of little close up of his tomes:

and this figure oddly enough at one point came in a gold plated version as some sort of prize.  No idea why I have it, I think it came from when my brother was working at Star Realm, our local game shop.  Sadly, as I was bringing him upstairs to photograph, he did a nose dive onto my basement, concrete floor and got a piece of his gold plating knocked off around his hat:

Beyond that he has certainly seen better days with rust/mold or whatever happens to gold plating after 40 years or so.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this little look into miniatures history!

Mark
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,

Been working off and on on a few different miniatures but just got a few finished last night.  This one I was able to actually photograph today. I had another that I took pictures of, but when I looked at the pictures, it had a piece of grass sitting on it that I just couldn't accept so I'll take pictures again tomorrow of that figure.

So anyhoos, here is a Ral Partha Brigand with Sword, the third part of a blister from Partha's Encounters of the Imagination Series:

and here's a picture of the group together:

The set also came with some loot, some bags and a little treasure pile, but I haven't painted those yet. Don't know if I will or not.  Anyways, hope you all enjoy and are also enjoying the glory that is Reapercon!

• Who's Online   27 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)