Sign in to follow this  
Xiwo Xerase

77440: Masumi, Demon Hunter

It looks good, I think the heavy makeup on the pale face works. I had a lot of fun painting this figure and have been thinking of getting another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work!  I like the makeup effect, it goes well with the eyeshadow giving the whole piece a kabuki feel.  I like the warmth you added to the flesh tones in general it works very well against the red and purple.  Also your red looks great!  Keep up the great work! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Splendid colors, and those hair highlights deserve special praise! I wish I could do hair that well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vivid and dramatic - so the look of facepaint worked out in my opinion - wonderful black hair!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Nice work!  I like the makeup effect, it goes well with the eyeshadow giving the whole piece a kabuki feel.  I like the warmth you added to the flesh tones in general it works very well against the red and purple.  Also your red looks great!  Keep up the great work! 

Thanks!  I find red pretty easy to work with.  I had more issues with blending the purple.

16 hours ago, Rigel said:

Splendid colors, and those hair highlights deserve special praise! I wish I could do hair that well.

I find hair to be pretty easy.  Maybe I shouldn't?

Jen Greenwald did the hair tutorial I learned from.  Beyond that:

• Photo references help.
  • I paint hair starting at Walnut Brown and then sidebrush each layer on using thinned paint.  (So, for example, Walnut Brown, then Blond Shadow everywhere but the darkest shadows, Blond Hair everywhere but the shadows, Blond Highlight where the hair would be brighter, Linen White for the halo at the top of the head and any other really bright spots.)
  • Black hair has very tight highlights.  (Purple isn't traditional but this is inspired by an anime character.)
  • Hair is shiny, so it may reflect more light than you expect.  (Again, photo references help.)
  • When in doubt, think of lighting, its intensity, and how it would be reflected.
    • Assuming the standard (overhead lighting and viewing perspective roughly level with the miniature), this will be on surfaces that are 45 degrees relative to both the horizon and the light source.  This is part of why the halo highlight on the hair is so bright.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1