Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Two Dark Sword Hobbits by Tom Meier, kind of pic heavy

Both lovely.  I particularly like the pine cone birch staff, and the head/facial embellishments of the female.

• Like 3

Awesome work!

I always wonder how you can paint such tiny faces so well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Both lovely.  I particularly like the pine cone birch staff, and the head/facial embellishments of the female.

Thanks Darcstaar, I tried to make the pine cone into some kind of jewel or crystal, don't know how well it translated.

10 hours ago, Jeepnewbie said:

Very nice!

Thank you very much Jeepnewbie, glad you like them!

10 hours ago, Bustawolf said:

Wow those are tiny. Nice work!

Yeah, they are really small. Luckily I started working with a bit better of magnification, I have some lenses with 3.5X that helped a lot.

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

Amazing detail on those liddle faces, and good color choices too!

Thank you very much Rigel, color choices plague me more often than not.  The male hobbit was easy to choose colors for but the gal was a lot harder, too many choices!

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome work!

I always wonder how you can paint such tiny faces so well.

Thanks Glitterwolf! 

It's a pretty small brush, and as mentioned above, lots of magnification!  Patience is probably another element I'm guessing.

• Like 4

Stunning - I can't imagine how you did those eyes.... really like the cloak and hair and beautiful use of bright yet natural looking colors on the female. The male thief definately has the Baggins vibe, really like the leather vest and white shirt, excellent! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iridil said:

Stunning - I can't imagine how you did those eyes.... really like the cloak and hair and beautiful use of bright yet natural looking colors on the female. The male thief definately has the Baggins vibe, really like the leather vest and white shirt, excellent! 

Thank you Iridil!

I didn't want super strong colors, so I tried to make them more oriented towards fall/autumn tones. The yellow is a bit bright, but the green and orange are a bit more subdued.

With the eyes, I recently got ( actually had them for years, just never realized it) some better amplification to 3.5X, whereas before I was I think using only 2.5X. They are still far from perfect, but they are really soooo small, not quite like Tom Meier eighties small, but Tom Meiers 21st century small.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning Reapermaniacs,

So here's one I've had painted for about a week or so but have never just gotten around to sit down at my normal computer to post him.

This one is one I've actually had for a long time, and it's an old lead version back from the seventies.  I had to at one point I think scrape off some paint. I had another newer version of him, but the detail was pretty soft so ended up painting up the original, whose details were so much more nice and crisp.

And being he was a "high" elf, I wanted him to have some nice light colors, no greens and browns.

Anyhoos, here he is:

I've been on a recent kick painting these older miniatures, even old by Partha standards (pre-eighties).  I think I'm going to keep painting them, putting them into my normal mix of newer, old Partha figures.  In any case, hope you like them!

• By 72moonglum
      Morning everybody!
      So just finished this one up and got photos edited.  I've had this figure for a while now, just finally getting time to paint it, he's Ral Partha, Wizard from Ral Partha's Personalities and Things that Go Bump in the Night series.  One of the first miniatures of that series, and this might be the second version.  There was another version with a shorter hanging cloak, and then one was done many years later, where you are able to easily see Tom Meier's progress over the years.  This was sculpted in the seventies, in the infancy of Ral Partha. It's a fun miniature and this is just a huge and heavy chunk of lead.

and then kind of little close up of his tomes:

and this figure oddly enough at one point came in a gold plated version as some sort of prize.  No idea why I have it, I think it came from when my brother was working at Star Realm, our local game shop.  Sadly, as I was bringing him upstairs to photograph, he did a nose dive onto my basement, concrete floor and got a piece of his gold plating knocked off around his hat:

Beyond that he has certainly seen better days with rust/mold or whatever happens to gold plating after 40 years or so.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this little look into miniatures history!

Mark
    • By 72moonglum
      So I'm working on a really small figure a newish Tom Meier Halfling Druid from DarkSword Miniatures.

I painted the eyes and was kind of satisfied with them but one seems to be bigger than the other, which means I think I painted the black first outside of the target eye that was sculpted. One eye is okay the other one it too big:

so when we get really close to the figure I can see how uneven she is, but she is really, really small:

So my first general question is, would this be enough to frustrate somebody to repaint?  

So with this in mind, the "good" news is I just went from a nice pair of magnifying nerd goggles that go up to around 2.5 to some other ones that I have sitting around that are 3.5 x magnification.  So I almost feel I have a good enough view of the eyes to edit it a little bit.  I'm just wondering if it's all worth it?  Any suggestions?

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/halflings-gone-bad-volume-two/description

Story
      The world of Alberon, as ancient and unknowable as its timeless depths are, has few certainties for those that live in it, but ruin and corruption awaits all but a blessed few.  Halflings are, of course, no exception...
      The Western Wastelands beyond Midlam are a harsh unforgiving environment, that breeds a fierceness through necessity for survival alone.  It is thought that the first halflings to enter the Wastelands, did so unwillingly, captured by Hobgoblin Raiders some several hundred years ago.  
      It is reported that the Hogoblins thought that their small size would make them useful servants for all manner of tasks, but when the monstrous and unstoppable nature of their appetites became apparent, the halflings were stranded in the middle of the wasteland and left them to die.  
      That they didn't is some testament to the hidden reserves and ingenuity of these small folk, but they have not survived unscathed.  Their souls, often forsaken to unknowable gods, have changed as much as their bodies and minds.
      As a counterpoint to the Wasteland halflings, those that inhabit the town have found unusual niches, whether that be as criminal masterminds, pirates, anarchists, grave robbers and the somewhat cliched, but ever problematical, burglars.
      An Excerpt from 'The Robbit' by The Wizard R.R.R. Gudgrief
      Welcome to Halflings Gone Bad - Volume One!
      A collection of sixteen 28mm scale halflings from the wrong side of the elven forest tracks, for all of your fantasy miniature games.
      Welcome to our second Kickstarter to cover some of the more nefarious occupations and depths that halflings have stooped to.
      The worrying nature of the appearance of wasteland halflings, something seen as a threat to all halfling civilisation, combined with the new depths of depravity of halflings in Midlam has called for a new town council to be convened from amongst the artisans and workers of Halftown.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody!

Here's a figure I just finished a few nights back and got her based.  She's a old, classic Ral Partha figure, Adventuress 01-018, so in that long list of Partha figures in "Personalities and Things that go Bump in the Night" range, number 18.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read out there on the Lost Mini Wiki that this was the first female adventuring type of miniature that was cast.  This is in all honesty the second version of the sculpt, don't have the first one. On the bottom, she had 1976 stamped on its base so it's a nice old figure.  

I tried not to paint her in too bright of colors, kind of wanted her to be able to wander around with kind of calm colors.  Anyways, hope you enjoy this "historic" little mini, she was a joy to paint!

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)