Two Dark Sword Hobbits by Tom Meier, kind of pic heavy

72moonglum

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Both lovely.  I particularly like the pine cone birch staff, and the head/facial embellishments of the female.

Thanks Darcstaar, I tried to make the pine cone into some kind of jewel or crystal, don't know how well it translated.

10 hours ago, Jeepnewbie said:

Very nice!

Thank you very much Jeepnewbie, glad you like them!

10 hours ago, Bustawolf said:

Wow those are tiny. Nice work!

Yeah, they are really small. Luckily I started working with a bit better of magnification, I have some lenses with 3.5X that helped a lot.

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

Amazing detail on those liddle faces, and good color choices too!

Thank you very much Rigel, color choices plague me more often than not.  The male hobbit was easy to choose colors for but the gal was a lot harder, too many choices!

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome work!

I always wonder how you can paint such tiny faces so well.

Thanks Glitterwolf! 

It's a pretty small brush, and as mentioned above, lots of magnification!  Patience is probably another element I'm guessing.

• Like 4

Stunning - I can't imagine how you did those eyes.... really like the cloak and hair and beautiful use of bright yet natural looking colors on the female. The male thief definately has the Baggins vibe, really like the leather vest and white shirt, excellent! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iridil said:

Stunning - I can't imagine how you did those eyes.... really like the cloak and hair and beautiful use of bright yet natural looking colors on the female. The male thief definately has the Baggins vibe, really like the leather vest and white shirt, excellent! 

Thank you Iridil!

I didn't want super strong colors, so I tried to make them more oriented towards fall/autumn tones. The yellow is a bit bright, but the green and orange are a bit more subdued.

With the eyes, I recently got ( actually had them for years, just never realized it) some better amplification to 3.5X, whereas before I was I think using only 2.5X. They are still far from perfect, but they are really soooo small, not quite like Tom Meier eighties small, but Tom Meiers 21st century small.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello and good evening all you Reaper Maniacs!

So here's a few miniatures I've been meaning to paint but just haven't gotten around to them, you know, too many minis, not enough time.  But I did finally get around to these, which are pretty fun,  Squidmen with Goo Guns, sculpted by Tom Meier when he had the company Thunderbolt Mountains.  These are miniatures that his son had designed.  

and here they are as the actual group/blister pack they come in:

Anyhoos, quite enjoyable and reasonably simple to paint, hope you guys and gals all enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody on the penultimate day of the Reaper Bones 6 Kickstarter!

So here's another figure I've been sitting on for a while, painted it I think already a couple years back but never posted or showed it off because he wasn't yet available.  Well he was recently released over at Ral Partha Legacy, so it's time to show him off!

Back in the eighties, if I recall correctly, Tom Meier sculpted a whole bunch of troglodytes, I think with the Ral Partha/Citadel collaboration back then, and when Ral Partha Legacy had one of their Kickstarters, they re-released those older figures.  A little bit later Tom Meier sculpted this little fellow up, a sorcerer/priest/leader for whatever group of trogs you might end up gathering.  He has a pretty long base so he got stuck on one of their mount bases.  

and kind of funny, now that I start thinking about it, I've been using the only other Partha Troglodyte that I've painted as my avatar:

I might want to change that, I don't feel like an ugly lizard.......

• By Dragon Bait
      HI Folks,

Me and Dave from Bronze Age Minis have a current KS dealing with Adventuring Gnomes, Halflings and Dwarves of the female variety. The is also an incredible female version of the "Fellowship of the Ring" 

Joe From Dragon Bait..

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reaperhoochagans!

So I've already done a set of these, but was asked to do another one with another different color scheme, so here is round two of the Tom Meier Thunderbolt Mountain fairies:

and here they are together:

This time I was asked to do some different and darker skin tones, so did some tones using Dusky Skin, Terran Khaki, Redstone, Dark Skin Highlights

So anyhoos, hope you all enjoy!

EDIT:  adding a link to the original set of fairies:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94511-thunderbolt-mountainral-partha-legacy-ballerina-fairies-by-tom-meier/#comment-1995386

• By Jebjeb
      conceptualized by film industry concept artist Johnny Fraser-Allen, The Rise of the halflings is Printable Scenery's first delve into a brand new fantasy world. After the Great Wyrm devastated the Halfling town of Wollockshire, forcing its residents to hide in the warrens below their homes, the mysterious Great Warlock appeared and tamed the beast using its true name. Becoming the Halfling’s savior, he utilized the knowledge of the Wyrm to shape a new society, crafting Archanical devices fueled by the Wyrm’s own bile to industrialize their world. However, some of the halflings find the Warlocks victory too good to be believed, and have taken to what is left of the forests to lead a resistance to his rule.

Johnny has created some amazing and characterful artwork for the world, as well as deep backstories for every building and miniature in the world. Printable Scenery is taking this rich lore and turning them into awesome 3D printable models. With a mixture of incredibly detailed terrain and, for the first time in a Printable Scenery Kickstarter, Awesome looking miniatures, we hope to bring the world of the Reign of Arcane to life!

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)