Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

WIP Dreadmere fishing trip Diorama

I love this project!  I want to do something like this but have been hesitant.  Looks like you are well on your way to a great little piece!

Liquitex makes a really cool iridescent medium that dries clear but leaves a shimmery coat.  Might look cool on the fishes underwater. Just a thought though

• Like 5

Very cool fish, both of them. I like the empty eyes of the catfish-thing very much. So a vote for no pupils.

• Like 5

Built the Frame, assembled with hot glue and clamps, a small amount to white glue attaches it to the wood. 

tested with water, it leaks like a siive. 

the corners of the base are slightly beveled,   so lots of glue in the corners 

tried using gloss sealer to fill the smallest cracks, and used thin modgepodge on the wood so that it is less porrus to the resin - it made the wood sides rougher,  so I worry. 

3 test pours later it is down to a single slow leak. 

it took all day yesterday, test, reseal, dry, test, reseal..... 

perhaps the last attempt worked. 

picture of  progress on fish. (to be added) 

frame.jpg

fishies.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10

the seals held,  the wood is covered in Vaseline, a fish framework built and the resin is poured 

2 drops of clear phthalo blue, plus a little stirred in,

nearly 3/8 of an inch deep (1 cm)  - (as suggested by resin box) 

quite a bit deeper than the 2mm recommended in basing class. 

at least 24hrs  to dry. 

first pour.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Don't go too blue with the nextlayers or you won't be able to see the fish anymore.

it is supposed to get lighter, 

but it has been a concern, even if it goes poorly a good chunk of the head will be above water.  

im worried about stripy water. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

on the fourth pour, I found a leak halfway up one of the walls.  

wipped off the vasiline, applied 2 coats of gloss and reaplied the vasaline 

this morning I did a deep pour (9 cm) and used up the last of my f16 oz resin 

I have an older set from the same brand (8oz) BUT the hardner has yellowed.  (about 2-3 years old) 

WYUI (would you use it?)   i should probably go back to hobby lobby for more. 

I used less color this time and think I got my first line between layers.  Im thinking a thin glaze on the outside will obscure it.  

in the back right corner, you can see the black dot on the frame that is my goal for the top of the resin. 

second image shows the woman who will be standing on the raft,  hand was sculpted from GS, pole was from the pack tortoise. 

852552793_deeppour2.thumb.jpg.a0d0385cf9ddf9ea2615578119ba5fc8.jpg

fishpole.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

Store website says that resin is likely fine, but discoloration does change the tint slightly.   I ll keep it for another project, where I am not trying to match color. 

So new resin is in the mail.  should be here this weekend

color check.  do the colors work? 

If someone with a good grasp of color theory wants to chime in, i would appreciate it. 

It occurs to me that nothing is happening in the diorama other than in this corner. 

Im going to need something going on behind the big fish. otherwise I could have cut the fish in half and made a tighter diorama. 

I still have another 10cm resin and waves to sculpt so some wiggle room. 

845467249_colorcheck.thumb.jpg.e1be9b706b09fc63905c98484eb7b5bd.jpg

the dress.jpg

• Like 10

Standalone, her colors look great.  Big picture, might be worth bringing in some colors of the fish to unify the piece.  You've already got some yellows but maybe some purples... maroon looks great with oranges - a very autumn blend.

But if you're planning on adding some extra details behind the fish, you could always use that to move some of the orangey tones from your fishing lady over there.  Perhaps a buoy being knocked over by the gulper's surfacing?

Antique Wooden Fishing Buoys for sale | eBay

• Like 5

On 9/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, Evilhalfling said:

color check.  do the colors work? 

If someone with a good grasp of color theory wants to chime in, i would appreciate it. 

I won't claim to a good grasp of color theory, but I have been learning a good bit and trying to implement some of those lessons, so I'll give it a shot here. I agree with @MoonglowMinis that as a standalone mini, her colors are great! However, I think that making her predominantly green would suit the diorama much better. That way she both shares more tones with the rest of the diorama, and helps her to stand out.

Hope that helps! And it's looking great!