Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
haldir

A1 Against the Goblins pbp

Recommended Posts

A1: Against the Goblins play by post

by Matthew E Kline

150651.jpg

 

You are all in separate towns, villages, where ever you feel like your character starts at. You don't know anyone else in the party. You pay for a bed at a local inn & proceed to fall asleep. 

 

You’re racing down a dirt road as the village around you burns. You swore you were sleeping just a moment ago but now you feel the terrible heat of the flames and hear the cackling horde closing in from behind. A collection of orange, and teeth, and claws, and yellow eyes pursue you; goblins. You look down and suddenly realize that you’re carrying something they want; a large glowing stone. Fire dances across its surface and it seems somehow realer to you than everything else around you.

 

You scramble past a sign that reads “Sooner’s Field” just as the creatures catch up to you and rip and tear and bite and burn and- you wake with a start. It was just a dream. Or was it? You have the strangest feeling; like someone just walked over your grave. And your bedding is smoldering…

 

You all, just had a very real nightmare. Two things stands out from it, is the large glowing stone & the name Sooner's Field. You know of the place, it's a small village out in the middle of nowhere. What do you do?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

write the information I can recall in my song journal, (never know what little tidbit of information will make the locals cough up a little more coin) roll over and return to my sodden slumbers.  I am a bard after all, I just got to bed!

 

After the sun is well up and the innkeeper is grumbling too loudly about getting his room back I will make my way out of the inn find my mule and look for a quiet place to play and think.  I will use my Lore check (08%) to see if I can recall anything about the history and location of Sooner's field.  Once I can recall the way, I will begin to make my way towards the village.  I haven't been there yet and they might be willing to throw some coins my way, especially if I can figure out a way to make the dream into a story and make one of the local yutzes the hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brimm will stay awake.  “Hmmph!  Must be magic.”  He spits in the spittoon.  He heads down to the common room to see if the proprietor is awake.  If he is, he’ll buy a mug of ale to soften his nerves after the tense nightmare.  If the innkeeper isn’t up yet, he’ll draw a cup of water, chew on a stale scrap of bread, and wait.  Once the proprietor comes down he’ll ask “Oi!  You heard of folks having nightmares of goblins, glowing rocks, and Sooner’s Field?”  Then he’ll buy his ale and see if there is a bulletin board asking for mercenaries or mentioning anything about it.  If so, he’ll investigate that locally.  If not, he’ll ask for directions to Sooner’s Field and plot a course to walk to the next closest town between here and there.  He’ll settle up with the inn keep and make haste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan wakes and grabs his cutlass. Upon scanning the dimly lit room and seeing no foes, he relaxes.

"Sooner's Field??" his gravel voice whispers.

He sits on his bed for a few minutes, then stands up and gathers his things. He makes his way downstairs. He buys a loaf of bread from the cook. He walks out of the inn and stares at the sky, noting where the stars are. He walks to the city gates and asked the guards if they have heard of Sooner's Field. He then makes his way into the early morning dark headed towards Sooner's Field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, Kangaroorex said:

write the information I can recall in my song journal, (never know what little tidbit of information will make the locals cough up a little more coin) roll over and return to my sodden slumbers.  I am a bard after all, I just got to bed!

 

After the sun is well up and the innkeeper is grumbling too loudly about getting his room back I will make my way out of the inn find my mule and look for a quiet place to play and think.  I will use my Lore check (08%) to see if I can recall anything about the history and location of Sooner's field.  Once I can recall the way, I will begin to make my way towards the village.  I haven't been there yet and they might be willing to throw some coins my way, especially if I can figure out a way to make the dream into a story and make one of the local yutzes the hero.

 

You sit back &  try to relax yourself as you think, there isn't much you can recall about Sooner's field, other then it's a small village on the outskirts of town. You ask around & you find someone that is willing to give you directions to the small village. Sooner's field is around 60 miles from where your at.You make your way there.

 

On 8/6/2020 at 6:02 PM, Darcstaar said:

Brimm will stay awake.  “Hmmph!  Must be magic.”  He spits in the spittoon.  He heads down to the common room to see if the proprietor is awake.  If he is, he’ll buy a mug of ale to soften his nerves after the tense nightmare.  If the innkeeper isn’t up yet, he’ll draw a cup of water, chew on a stale scrap of bread, and wait.  Once the proprietor comes down he’ll ask “Oi!  You heard of folks having nightmares of goblins, glowing rocks, and Sooner’s Field?”  Then he’ll buy his ale and see if there is a bulletin board asking for mercenaries or mentioning anything about it.  If so, he’ll investigate that locally.  If not, he’ll ask for directions to Sooner’s Field and plot a course to walk to the next closest town between here and there.  He’ll settle up with the inn keep and make haste.

 

There is a night watch at the desk. He looks up from a book he was reading. He sighs, & puts it down. He goes behind the bar, grabs a mug, pours some ale. Asks for a couple silver & sets the mug in front of you.

 

"Yah, it's a small farm or village actually on the outskirts of town, or at least it's the first place you arrive before arriving here. It's around 55 to 60 miles west of here. Not much goes on there, it's your typical farm village. I think the mayor is son of the founder or some sorta relation. I rarely ever get out of town." the night guy says.

 

You can see the guy wants to return to his book, but he answers your questions some more "No, hell goblins are nightmare in the real world. Damn things."

 

"Anything else?" he asks if not, he goes & sit back down & puts his nose back into the book he is reading. 

 

There is a board in the common room, not much on it. There is something about a evil temple that needs to be cleansed. Must be of good nature to join! (signed by a church pastor) Other then that nothing remotely catches your eye. You ask the night keep again for directions & he replies "Take the west road & follow it. It'll be the first settlement you come to. Simple."

 

With that you make your way to the village.

 

On 8/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, Colonel Kane said:

Morgan wakes and grabs his cutlass. Upon scanning the dimly lit room and seeing no foes, he relaxes.

"Sooner's Field??" his gravel voice whispers.

He sits on his bed for a few minutes, then stands up and gathers his things. He makes his way downstairs. He buys a loaf of bread from the cook. He walks out of the inn and stares at the sky, noting where the stars are. He walks to the city gates and asked the guards if they have heard of Sooner's Field. He then makes his way into the early morning dark headed towards Sooner's Field.

 

You make  your way down to the common room & the room is bare, but your in luck & there is actually someone in the kitchen. A woman wearing a barmaid uniform is cleaning up for the day. She is slightly startled to see you. Saying "usually no one else is up at this hour." While she says it's not policy to sell food from the kitchen, she says "I don't see why not". She grabs a loaf & hands it over to you for a couple copper pieces. "Be safe, the wolves are out beyond the wall at this hour." With that she goes back to her cleaning.

 

You make your way to the gate where there is a couple guards, you notice one of them straightens up a bit as if he was dozing off. The other thou, asks "You are ye & what are doin up at this hour?

 

Answering the man, he stands down, seeing that your leaving, he answers your question. He says "the village is not more then probably half a days travel to the East. You'll probably make it a little after lunch time."

 

He opens the heavily barred door & you walk outside into the wilderness. Your about 100 feet away when you hear a familiar but distant sound of a wolf howling. You pick up the pace.......

 

Sooner's Field

image.thumb.png.39e22b938ac66f0bc5c1fe12a216e07f.png

image.thumb.png.4c9f82066bee7ea3c5e1c03b80355bc0.png

 

You all make it to the small village with no incidents on the way. You come to a wooden sign on the side of the road that says "Sooner's Field; Pop 54. The paint on the sign is fade from time & weather.

 

@Darcstaar You  are the first person in town, it's around breakfast time, but appears there are people up & about for hours before that. You come from one of the 2 roads on the east side of the map. @Kangaroorex  While on a road, both of you made your journey through a massive forest on each side. You arrive from the same side as Darcstaar. @Colonel Kane your route took you around a small mountain range & a forest as well. Your journey here as you entering the road near #1.

 

 

Most of the people in town are human with a scattering of the other common non-humanoids.

Notes:

#1 

A large two-story inn sits just to the west of the road here. A wooden sign hangs over the door bearing the image of a plow and sickle.

 

#2 

There’s a wide open patch of dirt here. The ground is riddled with small holes and marked with wagon tracks. A small wooden platform sits near its center. You see splatters of brown or possibly dark red on it. Without closer examination, your not entirely sure what color or what it is exactly.

 

#3 

A small shrine sits within a ring of trees. The ring is bordered by the river to the west and on its three remaining sides by a series of wide tiers formed by paving stones.

 

#4

A small covered porch sits to the left of this building. Beneath its slanted roof sits the anvil, forge and tools of the village blacksmith. A wooden sign depicting an anvil with demonic eyes and a wide fang-toothed grin is propped up against a porch post.

 

#5

A burnt building sits just to the east of the road. Half the structure’s still standing but not for long by the looks of things.

 

#6

The scale of this building is smaller than those around it. It looks like someone started a small farm here. A very small farm…

 

#7

This building has seen better days. The wide wooden porch has several broken boards, the walls need some paint and the roof needs patching. A scarecrow stands near the entrance to this building. It wears a set of leather armor and holds a wooden sign with the words ‘Riverside Supply’ on it. The word ‘Adventurer’ has been painted overtop of ‘Riverside’.

 

#8

This house sports an addition that looks like a small barn. A half-elf stands in the barn section working on fabricating a large wagon wheel.

 

#9

The large waterwheel behind this building emits a constant low rumble occasionally punctuated by a high pitched squeal.

 

#10

A wide hen house sits to the south of a large field that’s been divided up into sixteen pens. A small chicken coop sits in each pen.

 

#11

A large circular corn crib, presumably holding food for the chickens…

 

#12

There’s a large red barn here. The occasional moo or neigh can be heard emanating from within. A large in field sits behind it.

 

#13

A large two-story farmhouse sits here. A nearby sign bears the words “Sooner’s Farm”, no doubt where the village got its name from.

 

#14

A series of large fields stretch off to the northwest from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brimm will head time the inn.  He’ll try to get a mental tally of how many people occupy the village. He’ll introduce himself to the innkeeper, ask for a mug of ale, and a room for the night.  He’ll ask about the burnt structure and if there is any work for a sell-axe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan will wander the village, looking at all the sites. When he has seen it all he heads back to the inn to rent a room for the night and to get a meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having discussed the dream with his superiors, it has been decided that Asgrim should travel to the remote village and investigate the matter further. After traveling for most of the day, he arrives at the village. He spends some time exploring the village. Noting the burned out house as somewhere to come back to in the morning, he heads back towards the inn. As he passes through the open patch of dirt, he notices the red/brown stains on the ground. Asgrim kneels to inspect them a little more closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, Darcstaar said:

Brimm will head time the inn.  He’ll try to get a mental tally of how many people occupy the village. He’ll introduce himself to the innkeeper, ask for a mug of ale, and a room for the night.  He’ll ask about the burnt structure and if there is any work for a sell-axe.

 

Your count is pretty close to the what the signs says, the remaining number you don't see are probably inside buildings or out in the field.

image.png.60346ece603d9bd307bd9dac8a80b31e.png

 

Opening the door to the inn, you are greeted by a barmaid. "Welcome to the Plow & Sickle, traveler. Have a seat anywhere, I'll be with you in a bit." She is taking a order to what appears to be a merchant & his escort guard. There are a couple our townsfolk here as well. All are humans. The place has that small town in the country feel to it. It's clean & probably a place of activity in the evening. There is a gleaming hand sickle behind the bar area (the long T).

 

PLOW AND SICKLE MENU ITEM COST
Breakfast, commoner’s 1 sp
Breakfast, merchant’s 3 sp
Dinner, commoner’s 3 sp
Dinner, merchant’s 1 gp
Supper, commoner’s 4 sp
Supper, merchant’s 8 sp
Bread & cheese plate 1 sp
Various Ales & Meads 5cp-1sp
Wine, Dragon Tail white/red 5sp glass
Wine, Dragon Tail white/red 2gp bottle

 

She returns with a menu. "Can I get you anything to drink while you look over the menu?" You reply & she returns with mug of ale. The ale tastes pretty good, most likely a local product. Upon hearing your request for a room, she brings over a man in his 40s, he has the look of a grizzled veteran, He is missing his left eye.

 

image.png.20eda9edabcdd935a0bae1c380ecaba7.png

 

PLOW AND SICKLE LODGINGS ITEM COST
Common room (average quality) 3 sp
Private room (average quality) 2 gp
Private room (high quality) 4 gp
Care and stabling for horse 5 sp

 

"Welcome to the Plow & Sickle! Name's Miram Oddly, I'm the proprietor of this quint establishment. I'm also the captain of the local militia, if you need those services."

 

"Betty, tells me yer in need of a room for the night." (he lists the rooms & their rates above)

 

After squaring the room, he tells you about the burnt out building.

 

"Well, the fire was recent, as you can see by the smoldering heap that is now there. The mayor, Jakob Sooner posted up the "No Trespassing" signs & roped it off due to instability of it. Damn thing could collapse on someone. I hate it, be a youngin....."

 

"A man by the name of Shadis came into town a week or so ago. He started preaching doom and gloom daily in the village square, claiming he had visions of the village coming under attack by fire creatures and the whole place
going up in flames. Most of the village thought he was a little touched in the head but he wasn’t hurting anyone so they either humored him or ignored him.


"Then one night the Mason’s house went up in flames. When Shadis began his rants again the next day, the villagers blamed him for the fire, attacked him and ran 'm out of town. Once tempers cooled a bit the villagers felt ashamed of what they did. Jarda Mason himself went off towards the north in search of Shadis. They've both been gone for a number of days now."

 

"The Sooner’s have put the Mason’s up in a couple of spare rooms at their farm until their house can be repaired."

 

It is around this time, a person that looks like Chaoswolf's character comes down the stairs. He is obviously not from around here.

 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Morgan will wander the village, looking at all the sites. When he has seen it all he heads back to the inn to rent a room for the night and to get a meal.

 

As you pass the tiny farm, you see the crops near are of barley & hops, a male halfling wearing a dirty apron & work clothes appears at the door & says "Ahhhh, a traveler! Welcome, care to try some homemade brew on the house? All I'm asking is for your opinion." He waits for your reply, but before you can, he adds "I'm calling it Stoutfellow's Ale!"

 

Passing the forge, you see a well-muscled male dwarf hammering on something on a forge. Dark smoke fills the area & out the chimney

 

image.thumb.png.500fe6c7ed86fede5007924371d00f1f.png

Passing the Wooden Wheel, you notice a older male half-elf working on a wagon wheel. He has grey streaks in his & has the appearance of a carpenter. He greets you as you pass. "Welcome to Sooner's Field. Name's Zural Havermill. Woodworking is my trade, what can I get yah?"

 

As you approach his shop, you notice he has bows & arrows on the wall for sale as well as regular wooden items.

 

You make your way pass the large farm house. A sign on it says "Sooner's Farm", no doubt where the town gets it's name. It appears to be mostly a chicken farm as outside are numerous chicken coops. A large hen house sits to the south The farmhouse itself is old, probably was here before the town, but is kept up in good condition. 3 children (1 girl & 2 boys play in the yard), the girl gives you wave. They all look related. 

 

image.png.6f8324924abbc12cdf21f6d31dca398b.png

 

Passing the small grove you notice it appears to be a sacred place. As you look around, a half-elven woman appears from the trees & greets you. "Welcome to Xander's Grove, traveler. My name is Evianna, what brings you here to our fair village?" She is dressed in gossamer-like robes & has a harvest symbol on a chain around her neck. She also has a mace attached to her side.

 

If you don't stop & converse with anyone, you make your way to the inn.

 

As you enter the inn, you are greeted by a young human barmaid. "Welcome to the Plow & Sickle. Have a seat, I'll be right there." (see Darkstaar's post for prices)

 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Having discussed the dream with his superiors, it has been decided that Asgrim should travel to the remote village and investigate the matter further. After traveling for most of the day, he arrives at the village. He spends some time exploring the village. Noting the burned out house as somewhere to come back to in the morning, he heads back towards the inn. As he passes through the open patch of dirt, he notices the red/brown stains on the ground. Asgrim kneels to inspect them a little more closely.

 

(you arrive before the others)

 

The dark patches appear to be dried blood. As you examine the area around the stand, you see signs of a struggle. A villager sees you poking around & tells you the story, Miram tells Darkstaar above.

 

You make your way to the inn afterwards & are greeted by a barmaid, the place is busy. Appears to be the locals having a nice time drinking a few before retiring for the evening. a one-eyed man tends the bar & 2 barmaids, attend the crowd. You are able to secure a room for the night. See above for prices. You have a few drinks before retiring for the evening.

 

The next morning, you come down to the common room, a new face has appeared in the room. He appears to not be from the village.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nig will wander to the town square and set up a little spot to entertain the locals telling tales (real and imagined) and news (all true to the best of his ability as the locals come in from the fields.  

 

As the locals start to migrate to the pub he will come along chatting up the locals for news of the area (mainly by setting the teller as the tale hero and to song) looking to sing and dance his way to dinner and a bed (with companionship if one of the ladies is willing.)

 

If he sees somone who's attire screams adventurer, he will head their way and offer to trade ale for tales in either direction 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tall, dark-haired, young human man wearing ring mail and carrying a round shield and spear comes down the stairs and enters the common room. He is wearing a dark tunic under his armor with plain, loose fitting blue trousers and wool wrappings down to his feet which are covered in sturdy leather boots. Around his neck is hanging a symbol of three interlocking triangles pointing upward.

 

He approaches the bar and asks for some food and drink to break his fast, turns and surveys the room, then selects an empty table and seats himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, haldir said:

As you pass the tiny farm, you see the crops near are of barley & hops, a male halfling wearing a dirty apron & work clothes appears at the door & says "Ahhhh, a traveler! Welcome, care to try some homemade brew on the house? All I'm asking is for your opinion." He waits for your reply, but before you can, he adds "I'm calling it Stoutfellow's Ale!"

 

I will take just a swallow, "Not bad, that would be a good name for it."

 

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Passing the Wooden Wheel, you notice a older male half-elf working on a wagon wheel. He has grey streaks in his & has the appearance of a carpenter. He greets you as you pass. "Welcome to Sooner's Field. Name's Zural Havermill. Woodworking is my trade, what can I get yah?"

 

As you approach his shop, you notice he has bows & arrows on the wall for sale as well as regular wooden items.

"Thank you, but I do not need anything at this time. Maybe later."

 

22 hours ago, haldir said:

You make your way pass the large farm house. A sign on it says "Sooner's Farm", no doubt where the town gets it's name. It appears to be mostly a chicken farm as outside are numerous chicken coops. A large hen house sits to the south The farmhouse itself is old, probably was here before the town, but is kept up in good condition. 3 children (1 girl & 2 boys play in the yard), the girl gives you wave. They all look related. 

I will wave back at the child, but not approach closer. 

 

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Passing the small grove you notice it appears to be a sacred place. As you look around, a half-elven woman appears from the trees & greets you. "Welcome to Xander's Grove, traveler. My name is Evianna, what brings you here to our fair village?" She is dressed in gossamer-like robes & has a harvest symbol on a chain around her neck. She also has a mace attached to her side.

"My lady, I am just passing through. Trying to find a quite spot to maybe rest for a while. "

 

A youngish man enters the inn, he wears ill-fitting brown pants, white shirt, and sturdy boots, all stained and dirty from road travel. The skin that is exposed is sun tanned. Blue eyes take in everything and everyone in the room. His dark hair is roughly cut short. dark stubble on his face speck of a at least a few days of not shaving. a worn well taken care of cutlass ride on his hip. The most noticeable feature is the scar that runs from his forehead to chin in a curve that just misses his eye. 

 

22 hours ago, haldir said:

PLOW AND SICKLE MENU ITEM COST
Breakfast, commoner’s 1 sp
Breakfast, merchant’s 3 sp
Dinner, commoner’s 3 sp
Dinner, merchant’s 1 gp
Supper, commoner’s 4 sp
Supper, merchant’s 8 sp
Bread & cheese plate 1 sp
Various Ales & Meads 5cp-1sp
Wine, Dragon Tail white/red 5sp glass
Wine, Dragon Tail white/red 2gp bottle

I will order the bread and cheese with a cheap ale.

 

22 hours ago, haldir said:

PLOW AND SICKLE LODGINGS ITEM COST
Common room (average quality) 3 sp
Private room (average quality) 2 gp
Private room (high quality) 4 gp
Care and stabling for horse 5 sp

I purchase the average common room.

 

Morgan take his meal and squats near the door and slowly eats while watching the room and crowd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nigoles is, to all appearances, a young spritely fellow with a large green has and a large brilliant feather in it the you can see over any crowd.  His is dressed in well tailored travelling clothes and good walking boots.  he leads a black mule with white socks and a white blaze which reaches almost to his well clean and curried mane.  As he travels he sings of general happenings in the previous towns mixing it up so that he memorizes the information and keeps it so it repeats every half hour or so giving the news of events as his college trained him.

 

his eyes are bright green and sparkle with curiosity and mischief and his looks are just a nice combination of exotic and familiar that cause people to go out of their way to say hi!  Once he reaches the inn he will slip the stable boy an extra 2 silver over the stabling fee to ensure that his mule is well cared for before entering the inn to negotiate a meal and lodging for news and entertainment. 

 

After settling on a fair exchange, he looks around the room for good stories, glancing first at the scarred man in the corner, possibly with a story but not the most friendly, and settling on the young man in armor sitting alone at a table.  he gets a couple of pints from the bar and pulls a chair up by the gent at the table offers a beer and says: "What brings a man with such finery and skill to this small town?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brimm is of a stout height and sturdy build even for a dwarf.  He keeps his black hair cut short (military style), but his beard has gotten long enough to secure in a double-braid.  He seems young for a dwarf.  He rests his cheek on his fist, scanning the room slowly while sipping his drink.

 

After securing a cheap room he probes Miram about Shadis.  “Sounds like a bit of a problem lad.  I hate to tell you this, but I had a dream of this town in flames.  But, I also dreamed of Goblins.  That’s why I’m here.  I’m hoping to help the village, keep it from burning anymore, and kill scores of filthy (orange?) goblins.  Hopefully we can muster some able bodied sorts to help.” He scans the room again and notices the adventurer-types that have wandered in.  “So I’d appreciate as much information about the matter as you have, or introduce me to those who have some.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" A fair question, and one I might be asking of you as well, for you are not dressed as a local", Asgrim replies. "My thanks" he adds as he takes a long pull on the offered mug.

"As for myself, I am a follower of Odin. Yester-eve I had a troubling dream involving flames, goblins and this village. Upon waking, I sought the counsel of the senior members of my church. They bade me to journey to this place and investigate further. Upon arriving I looked around a bit and discovered signs of spilt blood in the open area a little to the North of this inn, as well as a recently burned house. It would appear that there might be some substance to my dream after all".

 

"What of you, how do you come to be in this place? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...