A1 Against the Goblins pbp

Nic nods to Brimm thoughtfully. "that is pretty much the story each one of us has, I remember an important glowing rock too.  Why not join us at the table over there and we can discuss further plans?  I just got into town so I had not heard about the one who arrived earlier.  I agree that we should find them and at least let them know they aren't crazy... or at least no crazier than the rest of us."  he stands and starts to move over to the table with Morgan and Asgrim and choses a seat with his back to the door, hoping it will make the others more comfortable and trusting the others enough to run if they scatter ::D:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, with everyone leaving to investigate, where will the group check first:

You've got these leads:

The burnt/smoldering cottage & bandstand (has traces of blood)

X'ander Grove tended to by Evianna (she is the mystical guidance for the town & the one everyone has refered to when mentioning the fever dream)

Jacob Sooner, the town leader, son of the founder. He has jobs (menial labor) but he is the leader.

The innkeeper will tell you "Good luck in your investigation, be mindful of the woods. There is the possibility of things greater then goblins that wander them." & he take his leave & go back to the business of running the inn.

• Like 1

(OutOfCharacter) I figure that talking to whoever we can to get more info makes sense, then checking out the house for clues.

(In Character) "Well met, Brimm Broadaxe. I am called Asgrim Bjornson. It will be good to have one of the stout folk along with us," he says with a smile.

" I think that we would be best served to have Brimm and Asgrim lead the conversation with the town leader with Morgan and I Definitely monitoring from the background.  I don't really want to draw attention to myself to the authorities here and I don't think Morgan wants the attention either.  It would be great if we could talk the town mayor into authorizing us to investigate but we should at least let him know what we are doing so we don't get gaoled for trespass or some such.  Then we can look over the cottage remains and other ruins in town.  I don't recommend going out into the wilds in the dark so searching the woods may have to wait until morning." he checks his hat for 'donations' "With luck, I'll have enough to cover our room and board from the graciousness of our hosts" he makes a sly nod at the tavern innkeeper.  "I would wait until morning to talk to the druid or go searching in the woods.

Alright with the majority saying "Talk to Sooner...." you make the short walk over to the large farmhouse, past the many chicken coops. Now, that you've had time to think about it, majority of the dishes served at the Plow & Sickle, the meat portion was chicken.

Before you leave, you find that a few townsfolk appreciated the musical performance & have dropped a total of 5 SPs into your hat.

The Sooner Farm, consists of a large farmhouse with peeling paint but otherwise is in good condition, there is large red barn to the South of it. You see workers working about the barn & can hear the occasional mow of a cow coming from within. Large fenced-in fields of corn & wheat are behind both to the West. You see a small portion of the fields are dedicated towards different vegetables & such, most likely for the family to consume. What dominates the farm are the rows of chicken coops, around 15 or 16 of them, with a large hen house to the South. 

As you cross the bridge over the river, you can hear the Mill to the south. There are some a couple of human workers "milling" about, one notices the party & waves his hand in attempt to flag the party down.

How I totally missed this, I have no idea??? :blush:

Before taking his leave, Miram the innkeeper will mention the following:

"One of my current guests is asking everyone in the village if they’ve seen someone transporting a coffin through town. Yah, pretty odd & a bit morbid.....' He continues, " Seems someone dug up his deceased wife & made off with her, coffin & all. There’s a necromancer that’s got a lair somewhere to the east of town. He doesn't bother the town, but some think that he’s taken her but no one wants to say anything to the man."

"He’s pretty shaken up so as it is & that bit of information might send him over the edge. The man is offering 1000 GP for her safe return (relatively speaking of course.)"

"Hmmmm, for that much gold it may be worth paying the necromancer a visit…"

OOC:  I think that Morgan and Nic might be best served talking to the folks over at the mill and let the righteous folk talk to the law. ::D:  Once Brimm and Asgrim introduce the group as a whole maybe Morgan and Nic can become 'respectable' as long as we're working for the town.  I also agree that we would have planned to look into the disappearing body.  For Nic, that's what songs are made from! [and rewards are where dinner comes from!])

When it comes time to speak to the mayor...

”Greetings, sir.  We were told you are in charge here.  We are here to offer our services you your town.  We have all of us seemed to share the same sinister dream about Sooner’s Field on Fire, hordes of goblins, and an evil looking glowing rock.  We heard that there was another who came before us with a similar experience, but that he is missing now.  We feel there is a higher power at work here, perhaps the gods themselves sent us here to investigate and help your people.  So, please tell us what you can.  My colleagues have asked me to inquire about a reward if we can avert the apparent tragedy foreshadowed for your village, and if it is possible to have a warrant or patent drawn up to give us the authority to act in your interests in this matter.”

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, Kangaroorex said:

OOC:  I think that Morgan and Nic might be best served talking to the folks over at the mill and let the righteous folk talk to the law. ::D:  Once Brimm and Asgrim introduce the group as a whole maybe Morgan and Nic can become 'respectable' as long as we're working for the town.  I also agree that we would have planned to look into the disappearing body.  For Nic, that's what songs are made from! [and rewards are where dinner comes from!])

(OOC ok yeah I agree with this Nic and Morgan will talk to the workers and see what is up.)

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

(OOC) what time is it, morning or evening?

It's around 6 pm, so starting to head into evening. It's summertime, so there is still plenty of light out. Hence, why the farm is still active.

5 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

(OOC ok yeah I agree with this Nic and Morgan will talk to the workers and see what is up.)

The worker, a human smiles as you approach him.

"Hey! I see you guys looks like opportunists (ie adventurers). The boss man gave us an additional job, clearing out river rats that comes around & munch on the grain. Since we are busy enough with the millwork, we'd liked to cut you guys in on what da boss is payin us. Fer every rat killed, we'll give yah 25 SP. Pretty generous, as that rats are a pest, but they aren't ROUSes + hey you guys are the ones that like to stab things with yer blades, right?"

"Yah, just need to bring their corpses to us, so we can show the boss man proof. So yah in?"

8 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

When it comes time to speak to the mayor...

”Greetings, sir.  We were told you are in charge here.  We are here to offer our services you your town.  We have all of us seemed to share the same sinister dream about Sooner’s Field on Fire, hordes of goblins, and an evil looking glowing rock.  We heard that there was another who came before us with a similar experience, but that he is missing now.  We feel there is a higher power at work here, perhaps the gods themselves sent us here to investigate and help your people.  So, please tell us what you can.  My colleagues have asked me to inquire about a reward if we can avert the apparent tragedy foreshadowed for your village, and if it is possible to have a warrant or patent drawn up to give us the authority to act in your interests in this matter.”

The rest of the party makes it's way up to the farmhouse. Knocking on the door produces a child, a girl probably around 12, who in turn yells "Daaaaaaddd!!!" & a man around 40 to 50 comes to the door. The girl stays until, her father shoos her away.

"Can I help you?" he says

You explain your purpose.

"Why yes I am the leader of the town, Jacob Sooner, son of the town's founder, Durlan Sooner."

You tell him about the fever dreams.

He rolls his eyes & says with bated breath, 

"Ahhhh, great. Anther one. I hope you don't go all crazy like the last loony that tried this. If you start trouble, I'll run yah out like we did him!"

He pauses a bit,

"Still you look like your a bit more stable then that man was. Evianne, our town's spiritual guide is probably the best person to deal with this kinda thing. You can find her in the large grove in town."

"As far as work, well hell, son your on a farm!! There is always something that needs to be done around here! Ha ha ha ha!!!"

"Still you look more like someone that might wanna get things done, if you know what I mean. Talk to my son, Logan. He's in the barn, or around those parts. He may have something for yah. Also we have a rat problem. Now I know it's nothing for you types but for us that means dead chickens or worst, rotten food supplies. I'm taking this serious, I'm offering a reward of 5 GP per rat killed! If your up for that. You just need to bring me the little vermin bodies for proof of the kill."

He continues,

"I hope I'm not overwhelming you. Finally we've had some merchants come through town the last couple of weeks complaining of bandits stalkin the roads south of town. They've gone & raised prices due to the extra guard they need to make sure their wares get to market. End those bandits & I'll give yah 500 GP."

"I can write you a note, but as long as your taking out bandits instead of innocent citizens, I'll vouch for why your doing what you do."

He leaves for a bit & returns, handing you a writ with his signature. The writ proclaims you are acting on behalf of Jacob Sooner, mayor of Sooner's Field.

Thank you, sir!

Got it: Evianne regarding the dreams, Logan for potential work, Rat bounty, and Bandits.  We’ll get on it expressly, and keep you posted.  Thank you for the writ.  And don’t worry, we plan to uphold the spirit of the law.”

(OOC gather your the group and relate everything the mayor said, and ask what we all want to do next?)