Sign in to follow this  
Iridil

Hero Forge... AKA printing lines - a trio

So my fellow players wanted to get Hero Forge custom characters, and as the only painter in the group I did them up. The bard was in metal, the other two in resin. My goodness are the surfaces rough and the detail shallow! I was a bit embarrassed to hand them over, but they really liked them - it was super important that the figure was exactly the design they wanted. It was an interesting bit of calibration for me and how to enjoy the imperfect. I think the barbarian came out the best and my favorite bit to paint was the violin.

HF_Dual_front2.JPG

HF_Dualback2.JPG

HFBard_front.JPG

HFBard_side.JPG

HFBardback.JPG

HFUg_front3.JPG

HFUgside.JPG

• Like 21

The bard looks like it was done in Hero Forge's steel option, which has the lowest detail rating of their materials. Looks just as rough of a material as the pics on their website show. Oy. Out of curiosity, have you noticed if that rough texture from the steel damaged your brush?

Do you know which plastic option the other two were done in? If I had to guess based solely on the detail, I'd say it was the regular plastic and not the premium plastic.

Regardless, given what you had to work with and overcome, they turned out well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

The bard looks like it was done in Hero Forge's steel option, which has the lowest detail rating of their materials. Looks just as rough of a material as the pics on their website show. Oy. Out of curiosity, have you noticed if that rough texture from the steel damaged your brush?

Do you know which plastic option the other two were done in? If I had to guess based solely on the detail, I'd say it was the regular plastic and not the premium plastic.

Regardless, given what you had to work with and overcome, they turned out well.

Not sure what material exactly these were, but I think you're right based on the colors of the unpainted minis. But they loved them - like that's how they plan to do all future characters! 

• Like 4

I've noodeled around in their 'build a figure' thing a couple of times, but always wondered what the actual quality was like.  I think I'll steer clear.

But, solid job on them, you've made them look great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, supervike said:

I've noodeled around in their 'build a figure' thing a couple of times, but always wondered what the actual quality was like.  I think I'll steer clear.

But, solid job on them, you've made them look great.

Thanks!

Quality might be better for premium plastic and the bronze material. The steel is incredibly rough. I think others might have posted the other materials painted up. 

• Like 1

You did a great job, especially considering the quality of the prints.

I have loads of 3D files, but Heroforge won't become part of my collection, fiddled about in their builder but the end product is less than average.

Look at files from Lord of the Prints/ Artisan Guild/ Heroes Infinite.

The upside is of course the customization.

One can create an unique character.

I don't play only paint for display and fun.

• Thanks 1

I feel your frustration, it sucks painting a poor sculpt.

Good job working around that and giving some love to the base as well!

In any case, there is a character to each model still, and it is the stories that will matter more than quality of the models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1