Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
One of last year's limited release figures that I painted during the summer. She has the right amount of detail, I spent some time trying to do NMM on her armor and weapon. Felt that the pose was a bit dull and static, and her face is odd. Liked how the green part of her cloak came out, not so happy with the yellow, need to practice more,
By Ryan S
Hi, I want to start this to get me motivated to get some accountability and hopefully guilt myself into working. So here is the very first of hopefully many steps.
The first step is to prime the miniature, I've done that, the 2nd step? To photograph the miniature to capture the volumes of real light that shows where I want my light source. For this I want two light sources. So really that means I just used my computer screen and my ceiling light, adjust the miniature to taste and get the angle I want to set the light.
The screen light is whiter and will be the light from outside the window, the yellower ceiling light will be my tavern fire light and will be the primary light source.
The skin will be fairly shiny so this is pretty much a mandatory process to get those realistic sheens....because I'm literally stealing form reality it helps a lot. If I were a better painter I could fake the light sources with enough knowledge. Thankfully I have some serious shadows on the model, and my mid tones will have a lot of room for blending.
The problem now? Picking my colors.
What do I know? I know the floor is wood colored and the axe/haft materials
I know that I'm going to want off white and pinks for eye whites and gums teeth etc.
The gold of the primer is actually a really beautiful color for a fantasy creature, so I might see if I can't keep that.
So Gold, pink, whites/off whites, and browns, I don't know if I want a two toned or patterned beholder. I think this is gonna be a challenge whatever I do. I think I want to go for a fleshy color
Wanted to try my hand at something a little different and bigger so I found something fun that I knew my daughter would appreciate. I got a ton of hugs for it today, so I must have done alright.
Prime and initial zenithal was done by airbrush and in keeping with my current process a lot of acrylic mini paints (Vallejo, Reaper, WarColour and GW) glazed or dry brushed on followed by oil washes, then more acrylic dry brushes and then more oil washes. I LOVE Nightmare Black!!
I wish I had kept it appart to paint it as the crossed legs made things complicated on more than a couple occasions. Also should have painted the neck area the same colour as her leotard…. Not sure but I think it would have been better. Base, cape, body and head were painted separately but I should have kept the hands, legs and boots to paint on their own.
close up of the books. Doing the gold lettering AFTER I’d painted the rest of the base was not my best idea.. tried to give them a worn look.
lastly a quick shot of the base WIP with a Chaos Marine volunteer for scale.
thanks for looking.
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)